TWAT: Demo or Album Version?

Album version all day for me.  I'm not a demo or leak enthusiast.  I don't rate any CD demos over the album versions because they all sound like well, demos.  Unfinished pieces of work-in-progress.  Raid is an exception but that's only because there's next to no difference between the demo and album versions of that song.  

As far as TWAT goes, with the demo you miss the beautiful french horns in the intro and the fascinating insect/bird like noise overlapping - that's my favourite Axl 'bleep'. lol  The album version is far superior to the demo based on the intro alone.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Album version all day for me.  I'm not a demo or leak enthusiast.  I don't rate any CD demos over the album versions because they all sound like well, demos.  Unfinished pieces of work-in-progress.  Raid is an exception but that's only because there's next to no difference between the demo and album versions of that song.  

As far as TWAT goes, with the demo you miss the beautiful french horns in the intro and the fascinating insect/bird like noise overlapping - that's my favourite Axl 'bleep'. lol  The album version is far superior to the demo based on the intro alone.

Fair enough. At the end of the day, I prefer the album version for its production quality but I'd love a studio version with the demo arrangement

I actually made my own remix of TWAT that I like the most. I used the demo intro, then faded it into the studio version. I also took Tommy's bass way up in the mix as opposed to how it's buried in the mix. I then edited the ended somewhat. I have the song end with the drum outro instead of the crap that follows it.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

I actually made my own remix of TWAT that I like the most. I used the demo intro, then faded it into the studio version. I also took Tommy's bass way up in the mix as opposed to how it's buried in the mix. I then edited the ended somewhat. I have the song end with the drum outro instead of the crap that follows it.

Nice! I tried something similar and failed miserably. Is it available to listen to somewhere?

I like album version better.  That said I think the demo/2000 intentions mix would have done extremely well if it was released then.  Thats one mix where I can picture Moby giving input into.  The digital fuzziness of the mix was very in stye at the time.  And the drum machine is very rooted in that era.  Its cool.  I feel that mix style detracts form the group vocals in the refrain - they are murky, lacking character, to my ears.

Ive been listening to this demo and live version way more lately, but album version still takes it for me.

As mentioned the album has the the cool intro.  I love it.  Also, not to sound spoiled as there are two amazing Finck solos and leads through out, but Ill take an extra Buckethead solo any day.  And that one is a high water mark, imo! 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Id love to hear that too.  I always thought the choir and synth intro/outro was very Roger Waters so Im surprised to hear you dont like it.  Or maybe youre talking abut something else?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Nice! I tried something similar and failed miserably. Is it available to listen to somewhere?

Here ya go-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd0059qheuwc4jv/06-There Was A Time (RussTCB 2012 Mix).mp3?dl=0

Full disclosure: I think I brought Tommy up a little too high but I never went back to fix it

@soon, see post above.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Here ya go-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd0059qheuwc4jv/06-There Was A Time (RussTCB 2012 Mix).mp3?dl=0

Full disclosure: I think I brought Tommy up a little too high but I never went back to fix it

@soon, see post above.

This is SO cool.  Bass sounds fucking awesome the way you've done it.  Bloody well done Russ!  Hey, there is no such thing as bass being too loud.  It's one of my only real complaints about CD, that the bass is so quiet.  Think I'm going to be listening to your version a lot, thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

3:29 mark - oh my looooord. :drool:

3:50 on....:drool::drool:

Axl should have hired you to mix for him...this is AMAZING.

Put the album into and outro on this and I'd take yours over the album version. :hahafyou:

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

This is SO cool.  Bass sounds fucking awesome the way you've done it.  Bloody well done Russ!  Hey, there is no such thing as bass being too loud.  It's one of my only real complaints about CD, that the bass is so quiet.  Think I'm going to be listening to your version a lot, thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

3:29 mark - oh my looooord. :drool:

3:50 on....:drool::drool:

Axl should have hired you to mix for him...this is AMAZING.

Put the album into and outro on this and I'd take yours over the album version. :hahafyou:

Thank you VERY much for the compliments :D

Tommy’s bass is an absolute standout and is his best performance on the record imo, however it is really buried in the mix. The album version has these weird Axl “ghost” backing vocals in the chorus “it was a long time...it was a long time” that I love.

The ‘99 demo is a little too empty imo. The only preference I have from it vs the final version is the intro is better. Also Bucket didn’t join yet so it’s not as impressive.

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Here ya go-

@soon, see post above.

Your version sounds great I can actually hear the instruments clearly. I like it. I noticed you cut out the "who gave head" part. lol

Edited by 31illusions
  • Haha 1

I like how powerful the choruses on the 99' TWAT sounded. The entire mix for that section is awesome to my ears. Especially with the different guitar riff (or rather, overlayed riffs) if i had to describe it, its like some weird fucked up John Frusciante thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

Your version sounds great I can actually hear the instruments clearly. I like it. I noticed you cut out the "who gave head" part. lol

That line is censored in the Rock Band 2 version so I didn't have a choice lol

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The remix you did of CD a couple of years back is what I usually listen to instead of the actual album mix, great work man! :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

The remix you did of CD a couple of years back is what I usually listen to instead of the actual album mix, great work man! :)

Thanks! I ended up doing the entire album eventually and I listen to that version of the album before the commercially released version any time I can. 

• Like 1