Are you satisfied with the current state of affairs in GNR world?

Are you satisfied with the current state of affairs in GNR world?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not really sure how that is relevant to my point considering we are discussing an active band here but I suppose it places you more in my first category than my second - a ''glass half full'' person.

They are not active in any creative sense, and they haven't been for 15 years, and likely will never be again. It is what it is. 

I still can't be anything but happy about all they have given me. 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

And if you accept the ''nugnr'' thing, that is still one album, a ten year old album, in twenty-seven years, a period which saw three oriinal Stones' albums, five original Kiss albums, four original AC/DC albums (I'm selecting overtly ''nostalgia'' bands here to try and manifest a benefit of the doubt for Guns N' Roses's predicament), etc. 

Older bands usually have a slower output, but GnR in the mid 90s were by no mean an older band. They were current.

By the way, Oasis did all their recording carreer between the release of TSI? and that of CD!

• Like 1

After having a couple of days to digest all the news, I don't, by any means, think this will be the end. I am not excited about the SKMC news, I just never got into SKMC, but I am happy for the Slash fans that are looking forward to it. 😏

I do hope Axl takes this opportunity to work with Angus and make new AC DC music and possibly tour with them. 😆 I like AC DC and Axl working with them, made me proud as a GNR fan, that he did so well with them. 😆

No one really knows what the recent turn of events will bring, so for now, I am ready for the summer tour to start and hoping for the best in the future 😆

I have been a fan for 30 years now, I will remain one until the day I die 😎

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Band is dead at this point tbh. Axl and Slash being together was cool and all, and Axl really kicked it up a notch in 2017 with his performance.

What we have at this point is Axl mickeying his way through 3/4 of an ancient set list night after night with Slash by his side - with confirmation that slash will release music with his other band.

At this point I hope Axl goes off with Angus, so we can hear him on stuff he is actually passionate about, using what's left of his awesome voice to it's full capabilities.

• Like 1

I am not  a giant AC/DC or SMKC fan. I enjoy both bands. I've seen SMKC many times and will go again. I have never seen AC/DC but I will if they come through town with Axl.

All that said, I'm disappointed that this downtime in touring hasn't led to the band getting into the studio for GNR. I was really hoping after the European tour and another small break, they'd start to promote an EP or some sort of release along with maybe some select tour dates. As is, now, it looks like the best we can possible hope for is a summer or fall 2019 GNR release? IF that happens.

I have been more than satisfied with how things have gone in GNR-land since Slash and Duff returned. I got to see the band a handful of times from Coachella to their St. Louis return. I'd love to see them again. But, man, now ... two-plus years after NITL kicked offf ... I want new music so badly.

I'm very surprised at all those that feel betrayed and angry over the news of the last couple of days. From past actions, I never saw NITLT tour as anything other than a tour and what a tour it's been and will be this Summer. We're fortunate to have been able to experience 30 years of GnR. Is this the end? No. But members of the original 5 had different creative ideas which ultimately lead to breaking apart. But was that the end? No. Axl Rose has kept GnR alive and Slash by going his own way continues to play much material from GnR. So you see, GnR will never be dead or over. I would argue the band is bigger than ever and will continue on. 

I like @BlueJean Babywill be a fan until the day I die. 

• Like 1

Kind of have mixed feelings about this. I mean the current situation is already more than we could hope for 5 years ago!! And they fucking kick ass live, plus I am going to see them for the 2nd time in 2 years while before that I was only a newborn when the UYI tour took place in Holland so that is something special! 3hour+ shows and all.. On the other hand, no new music on the horizon and the exclusion of IZ and Steven kind of leave a bitter after taste and don't make it live up to it's full potential.

I am satisfied because I never thought I would see Duff Slash and Axl share the stage together again.Seen them in their heyday a handle of times and always thought they were on the way to being one the greatest rock band of all times .When they imploded I never really thought of seeing them in their Axl and friends year.It was great to be able to see them again a few times together and the shows were all fantastic .I never expected them to put together any new music so it’s no suprise or disappointment to me in the fact that it was a solid 2 years of touring so every one across the globe could have a chance to see them before it’s too late .

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Glass half full/empty argument. If you're happy with the band as a nostalgia stadium thing then yes, that is certainly the healthier position to adopt, but nobody can seriously question why fans are disgruntled with a band who released one album in twenty-seven years and that is accepting the legitimacy of ''nugnr''; if you are one of the many who do not (accept the legitimacy) then this band creatively ended in 1991, and that there is this whole era, twenty-seven years, of mostly shit (breakup, repeated sojourns, nugnr, nostalgia, quasi-reunion) which did not deliver-up one note of original music. Or to put it another way, Guns creatively ended in their sixth year (1985 - 1991) but continued on for another twenty-seven years and counting! The Rolling Stones (1962 - ) had fifteen more albums following their sixth year (which would have been 1968, the year of the glorious Beggars Banquet). 

It is an unbelievable set of affairs. 

And if you accept the ''nugnr'' thing, that is still one album, a ten year old album, in twenty-seven years, a period which saw three original Stones' albums, five original Kiss albums, four original AC/DC albums (I'm selecting overtly ''nostalgia'' bands here to try and manifest a benefit of the doubt for Guns N' Roses's predicament), etc. 

(The situation is probably worse if you are an overt ''Axl fan'', as at least the more general fans or the fans who lean more to other members such as Slash have the solo/side projects to alleviate their barrenness. If you are a Rose fan, your guy has only released fifteen new songs [officially] in twenty-seven years!)

I'll take CD over any of those 12 releases any hour of any day.

The Guns catalog is sparse for sure considering the time frame, but it's quality over quantity.

15 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

They are not active in any creative sense, and they haven't been for 15 years, and likely will never be again. It is what it is. 

I still can't be anything but happy about all they have given me. 

Then you are resigning yourself to the fact that they are a defunct band, or at best a semi-active band. You are just judging them how one would judge Sinatra or The Beatles today, a historic act. That is a fair enough one to take.

11 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I'll take CD over any of those 12 releases any hour of any day.

The Guns catalog is sparse for sure considering the time frame, but it's quality over quantity.

The ''quality over quantity'' argument, a fair one generally, has been stretched ad absurdum by Guns N' Roses. Even recognising Chinese Democracy, that still means 80% of this band's original music was recorded before the final disintegration of the Cold War!

I've been until now. I mean, I've been satisfied with NITL tour (I will see them this summer again) but I'm not satisfied with the current state. We don't have a shit. No new music, not even a single brand new song or a fuckin' Bluray of the tour.

The reunion and the tour have been great, a dream come true, but I'm afraid all this will leave me a bittersweet taste if finally nothing more happen involving GN'R. Not really sure what we can expect after Slash and Axl finish their other projects...maybe nothing, or luckily another tour to pay another Ferrari.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then you are resigning yourself to the fact that they are a defunct band, or at best a semi-active band. You are just judging them how one would judge Sinatra or The Beatles today, a historic act. That is a fair enough one to take.

Not really. I just look at what the band has given me, and I judge them by that. And they have given me some of my favorite records of all time, and a fantastic rock and roll story. I really can't complain. Most bands don't give me anything. Most bands are mediocre. Many bands are shit. Guns N' Roses has been a great musical companion for me throughout most of my life. If I can't be happy with my favorite band, what bands can I be happy with? Those that haven't released music that I have enjoyed as much? It simply doesn't make any sense.

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Not really. I just look at what the band has given me, and I judge them by that. And they have given me some of my favorite records of all time, and a fantastic rock and roll story. I really can't complain. Most bands don't give me anything. Most bands are mediocre. Many bands are shit. Guns N' Roses has been a great musical companion for me throughout most of my life. If I can't be happy with my favorite band, what bands can I be happy with? Those that haven't released music that I have enjoyed as much? It simply doesn't make any sense.

If you look at the truly great bands, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Floyd, 'Oo, they have all produced lots of (great) records. If the Stones merely put out four records, like Guns N' Roses, they would be largely seen as a ''great band of the early-mid 60s British blues boom, broadening perhaps into rock n' roll/songwritery pastures''. The fact of the matter is the Stones went on to produce absolute masterpieces, Beggars, Let it Bleed, Exile, Goats Head, Some Girls, Tattoo You; even lesser works like IIORNR and Steel Wheels have their highlights - even their turds do like Dirty Work

Guns N' Roses have dissipated twenty-seven years (well, twenty-five as they had to finish the Illusion tour). Twenty-five years of (largely) absolute shite. 

PS

And 1985 - 1993 was (largely) perfect. Everything worthwhile about Guns N' Roses: everything we want to know concerning their greatness, their musicality and creativity, the reasons for their success (success today in 2018), fall into that 1985-93 time frame.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you look at the truly great bands, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Floyd, 'Oo, they have all produced lots of (great) records.

This is subjective, right? I prefer Guns N' Roses to most other bands, despite their low output. The extent to which I like a band is solely based on how much joy that band has given me, not the amount of songs they have released. And Guns N' Roses has given me a lot more than almost any other band. Hell, even if GN'R had only released Appetite and then disappeared, it would still be one of my favorite bands on that merit alone, and I would still be happy and thankful for them coming alive for that short moment to release a record that will always mean a lot to me. I wouldn't be sitting here being sour because they didn't release more :lol:

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This is subjective, right? I prefer Guns N' Roses to most other bands, despite their low output. The extent to which I like a band is solely based on how much joy that band has given me, not the amount of songs they have released. And Guns N' Roses has given me a lot more than almost any other band. Hell, even if GN'R had only released Appetite and then disappeared, it would still be one of my favorite bands on that merit alone, and I would still be happy and thankful for them coming alive for that short moment to release a record that will always mean a lot to me. I wouldn't be sitting here being sour because they didn't release more :lol:

And I hasten to bet that everything that has given you ''joy'' has a ''1985-93'' date stamped upon it? 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

And I hasten to bet that everything that has given you ''joy'' has a ''1985-93'' date stamped upon it? 

The bloatedness and ridiculousness of the UYI touring coincided with me starting to discover other bands and musical genres, so I kinda stopped caring about Guns at that point. Like not long after the release of the Illusions. Of course, then band stopped caring, too, so it was mutual. Then my interest was piqued again when the new band started working on CD and demos were leaked. Not in that fanboy sense from the 80s, but more coming from a place of true curiosity and wonderment that the band was still rolling, sort of. And I liked CD. Again not in that fanboy way I had devoured Appetite and all that came with that record, but I genuinely felt some songs on CD was great. I really do. I wasn't likely to hang posters of NewGuns on my walls, but I acknowledged it for what it was.

But joy isn't just limited to music! You have to open up to the crazy soap opera of the band! Is there a more entertaining band to follow? It has it all. Crazy personalities, personal issues, debauchery, legal drama, violence, unexplainable events the fan base will discuss endlessly, sheer stamina and an unwillingness to give up and die, lies, humour.  

• Like 4

i understand where this thread comes from, but Axl and Slash are playing on the same stage together, in a fluid, no hiccups kind of way.

you know, when an astronaut travels through space, and he sees earth from the surface of the moon, and he says "now i have seen it all"?

that's how I feel about GNR, after seeing slash and Axl on stage last summer

• Like 3

Just now, SoulMonster said:

But joy isn't just limited to music! You have to open up to the crazy soap opera of the band! Is there a more entertaining band to follow? It has it all. Crazy personalities, personal issues, debauchery, legal drama, violence, unexplainable events the fan base will discuss endlessly, sheer stamina and an unwillingness to give up and die, lies, humour.  

Why do you think I'm still here haha?

I basically view Guns N' Roses as Coronation Street (substitute Dallas if you are a yank, or Eastenders if you're Len). I haven't enjoyed them in a traditional - listening to albums, going to shows - sense in probably a decade. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The quality of over quantity argument does have merit. When you look at the number of CD songs played on the NITL tour and compare that to the amount of material from the last 25 years that the likes of Metallica, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and AC/DC played on their recent tours, Axl doesn’t come off anywhere near as bad.

And if there is to be an AC/DC album, the only thing that will make it stand out from the crowd of forgettable post-Back in Black AC/DC albums is that it will have Axl on it.

We all know that Axl had enough songs in the vault to put out a GNR album at any point over the past ten years and that it’s all been sitting there for closer to twenty years.

That doesn’t make any of this less frustrating as a GNR fan, but it’s not 2016-2018 where Axl screwed up. This is a victory lap, a cash-in. It was optimistic to hope that he would do what he should have done in his 30s and 40s.

Edited by Stress Fracture

On 24/03/2018 at 11:09 AM, ramsey said:

Anyone who voted no is living in fantasy land 

they've come so far and executed wonderfully 

not sure what the rest of you were expecting 

if you know the touring business you'll know that this time around the tour was bank rolled, financed and insured by live nation. UYI the band financed the whole thing and didn't make any money. It was a massive tour but they fucked up and spent all the earnings that they each were supposed to be able to save. 

There is no way that live nation was going to back Steven Adler (who has yet to clean up) to drum this tour. Axl slash and duff all needed the money. Needed, not wanted. They invested in the band and each own 1/3 with Axl like a half a point higher in ownership. These three risked their savings just like anyone would to own a  business. But once a long lost friend comes out of the woodwork at the very advent of the one world tour that's going to allow your family's next generation to live comfortably they can't just dissolve this now working partnership to start the band up again.  I'm sure they tried to get izzy money but probably couldn't get live nation to step up enough. I'm sure all three were very weary this thing was going to work anyways and couldn't risk fucking it up  

So izzy, for good reason, saw that he was going to be shorthanded and walked away - just like he did before 

It sucks that izzy isn't there. Frankly i care about seeing him a LOT more than Steven. But in the end he sold his share. Got the money. And the other three took the risk. 

That's reality. Duffs got a family, slash just got hosed in a divorce, Axl never had the money many assumed he did. So these guys saw their shot and took it. And god damn did they hit the target. 

Ummm, what's all that got to do with the question that was asked? 

The fans are allowed to have an opinion. Even if it is negative. Let's just say the fact that the question had to be asked shows the situation is more than questionable. The results also indicate from a fan base point of view the band is leaving them short. 

Whether that was obvious or not really isn't the point. Pointing out everything you have above is quite obvious to the majority of us on here. 

Some people still hold out hope that there might be new music, personally I don't. I think it's done. 

And yeah, personally, it pisses me off that Axl will go do an AC/DC album with Angus and leave the gnr fans waiting. What a slap in the face. 

If there's still no album in 2-3 years time (as seems fairly likely unfortunately) I won't be happy but as this point they're doing a very successful world tour which I never expected would happen so I'm satisfied for now.