11/08/18 - Jakarta, Indonesia

alfierose

16 hours ago, ironmt said:

Just listened to November Rain on Youtube and I thought It sounded pretty damn good, although the crowd was very loud and singing word for word so that probably helped. Slash was spot on with his solo's.

The one thing i like when listening to the eagles vids on YouTube during the 70s, don felders solos were spot on like on the record note for note and they are great to hear. I wish slash would do the solo to coma just how you hear on the record rather than kind of noodling it in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

The one thing i like when listening to the eagles vids on YouTube during the 70s, don felders solos were spot on like on the record note for note and they are great to hear. I wish slash would do the solo to coma just how you hear on the record rather than kind of noodling it in.

I agree In reference to Coma but I believe Slash came real close with the November Rain solo's. I also think the eagles from that time period were the best live band on the planet. Their performances from that time period still beat most performances today IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I like it when solos sound different live.

Can always put the record on and listen to the solo there.

We're  listening to one of the greatest guitarists of all time improvise! 

33 minutes ago, DK6 said:

So noodling has a new word, improvising 🤔.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DK6 said:

I love Slash, but he's low on the list of greatest guitarists. Slash was the person that got me to pick up a guitar in the first place, so he has a special place in my heart... but let's me honest, he's not done anything jaw-dropping in a long., long time. I know some would argue about Anastasia etc. but I just hear a guitar player noodling over a backing track playing some vague harmonic minor/blues lines... not that far removed from anything else he's ever done. Slash up until the end of the first VR cycle was great, I don't really know if he's that great anymore though. 

I honestly prefer Richard.... and I KNOW! Richard hasn't written songs as good as Slash! I'm just talking about feel, note choices, and consistency.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ironmt said:

Listened to this probably 4-5 times since last night and I haven't done that with a post 2016 video as of yet. I think It must be the crowd participation that makes It special. GREAT crowd.

Wowww..I can’t recall any other time that the audience has sung together in NR that way. Has this ever happened before? Pretty cool actually!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I love Slash, but he's low on the list of greatest guitarists. Slash was the person that got me to pick up a guitar in the first place, so he has a special place in my heart... but let's me honest, he's not done anything jaw-dropping in a long., long time. I know some would argue about Anastasia etc. but I just hear a guitar player noodling over a backing track playing some vague harmonic minor/blues lines... not that far removed from anything else he's ever done. Slash up until the end of the first VR cycle was great, I don't really know if he's that great anymore though. 

I honestly prefer Richard.... and I KNOW! Richard hasn't written songs as good as Slash! I'm just talking about feel, note choices, and consistency.

I don't think anyone could possibly argue that slash is not one of the greatest guitarists of all time. That's ridiculous!

Richard has no feel - check out his nov rain solos from back in the day. Terrible.

Point me in the direction of the amazing guitar playing Richard has done recently. Point me in the direction of the amazing songs and solos he has written in his career.

People are constantly mistaking technical proficiency for brilliant guitar playing. 

I'll agree that Richard is a more technical guitar player than Slash but that doesn't mean shit all to me.

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

So noodling has a new word, improvising 🤔.

I would have thought noodling was a new word for improvising :blink:

When BB King improvised, for example, you would hardly call that noodling, would you?

It is what it is, Slash improvising these days doesn't appeal to me either, not at all. 

Richard is more interesting to listen to to me as well, no need to put him down to make Slash look better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Wow! :o

This is how it should be done when Axl struggles vocally - the fans take over.

Axl seems to be irritated at least, perhaps just moved by the crowd.

Not up there with AC/DC River Plate but hey...THIS is what every GNR show should be like.

Now I undertsand why GNR play in Jakarta - those people are awesome.

Why do you think he was irritated?

14 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

Why do you think he was irritated?

In a good way, more like impressed/surprised perhaps? Or maybe he was just like fuck we should have filmed this properly for a DVD. :lol: He's been going through the motions with NR for a while and then one night thousands chant along and bring back the magic into the whole thing. Call me crazy, but for me that little clip is the best part of the entire NITL tour. Put away the cell phones, bring out the lighters again and sing along on top of your lungs = make rock music great again. ;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DK6 said:

Slither sounds great.

Axl's vocals are brilliant on this.

The harmony he sings in the chorus is amazing.

Axl can improve songs that i already thought were pretty perfect.

He really is a genius.

If he had sung Slither in 2010, I may have agreed with you.

There is no way Axl's performances of the song (so far) are better than the original, imo.

6 hours ago, DK6 said:

I don't think anyone could possibly argue that slash is not one of the greatest guitarists of all time. That's ridiculous!

Richard has no feel - check out his nov rain solos from back in the day. Terrible.

Point me in the direction of the amazing guitar playing Richard has done recently. Point me in the direction of the amazing songs and solos he has written in his career.

People are constantly mistaking technical proficiency for brilliant guitar playing. 

I'll agree that Richard is a more technical guitar player than Slash but that doesn't mean shit all to me.

I would have thought noodling was a new word for improvising :blink:

That's like your opinion man.

Look if you had read my comment, you would have seen  that I said he was on the list, but he's not top of the list.

You would have also seen that I said I loved his playing, but I made valid points as to why he isn't the be all and end all for me and a little of other people.

Finally, I've heard this feel argument a million times and it's BS! I already said Richard hasn't written classic songs (again read before you respond). But to say he has no feel, just underlines a bias that is clear among some fans. He is a better technician than Slash, well in some respects that's true! But you say he's a better technician and then you say he has no feel? Well, bud! feel comes from developing as a player and having g the ability to play the ideas in your head effortlessly... That's being a technician. Every guitar player to some extent is a technician. I think that some people are using terms they don't really understand.  

On 11/9/2018 at 11:12 AM, ironmt said:

Listened to this probably 4-5 times since last night and I haven't done that with a post 2016 video as of yet. I think It must be the crowd participation that makes It special. GREAT crowd.

This was special. NV wasn't the strongest vocally but the crowd and slash almost playing the solos note for note was amazing. I got chills. Axl really reached back and added some rasp on the "don't you think you need somebody" part at the end . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That's like your opinion man.

Look if you had read my comment, you would have seen  that I said he was on the list, but he's not top of the list.

You would have also seen that I said I loved his playing, but I made valid points as to why he isn't the be all and end all for me and a little of other people.

Finally, I've heard this feel argument a million times and it's BS! I already said Richard hasn't written classic songs (again read before you respond). But to say he has no feel, just underlines a bias that is clear among some fans. He is a better technician than Slash, well in some respects that's true! But you say he's a better technician and then you say he has no feel? Well, bud! feel comes from developing as a player and having g the ability to play the ideas in your head effortlessly... That's being a technician. Every guitar player to some extent is a technician. I think that some people are using terms they don't really understand.  

Technical proficiency is playing scales at a million miles an hour.

Feel is putting emotion into your playing.

A technician is someone skilled in the technique of an art or craft. I agree that you need technical proficiency to be able to apply the feel but i also think you can be a good technician with no feel - like richard fortus and bumblefoot. 

Saying Slash is low on the list of good guitarists because he hasn't done anything amazing lately is bit rough.

Is paul mccartney low on the list of good songwriters because he hasnt written a good song lately.

You're also being very patronising about the guitar playing stuff - pretty proud of your playing are you? 

I've also been playing for 20 odd years - not that you need to play guitar to have an opinion on guitar players.

I hope you're not as passive aggressive in your real life as you are online!

All the best. 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:24 PM, Derick said:

Wowww..I can’t recall any other time that the audience has sung together in NR that way. Has this ever happened before? Pretty cool actually!!

They were a great crowd and gave it their all for Don't Cry also. I think their was a crowd back in 2010 (maybe Bucharest) that sang every word In November Rain also. I will see If I can find the video.

• Like 1

Lucky guy

I took a look at his ig profile, turns out he’s some music producer, don’t know him at all. But he can probably do this because he has some connections to the promotor. *sigh*

actually, I heard the VVIPs were watching the band soundcheck from backstage. I envy them so much.

12 hours ago, DK6 said:

Technical proficiency is playing scales at a million miles an hour.

Feel is putting emotion into your playing.

A technician is someone skilled in the technique of an art or craft. I agree that you need technical proficiency to be able to apply the feel but i also think you can be a good technician with no feel - like richard fortus and bumblefoot. 

Saying Slash is low on the list of good guitarists because he hasn't done anything amazing lately is bit rough.

Is paul mccartney low on the list of good songwriters because he hasnt written a good song lately.

You're also being very patronising about the guitar playing stuff - pretty proud of your playing are you? 

I've also been playing for 20 odd years - not that you need to play guitar to have an opinion on guitar players.

I hope you're not as passive aggressive in your real life as you are online!

All the best. 

No, he's low(er) on the list. He is one of the best, he's just not top 10 like some here would have you believe. 

Again, I love his playing but I'm aware of the music world outside of GNR and rock. If we're limiting the scope and saying best blues rock guitarists, he's obviously going to climb a lot higher.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:18 PM, Tom2112 said:

You're kidding right? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

You're kidding right? 

No, I'm deadly serious. As of right now, when I hear both playing I lean towards Richard. As far as the guitar player who influences me more and the music they've written I obviously prefer Slash. I'm talking about Slash of 2016-present in a live context.

• 3 weeks later...