AFD - Both Special Editions (Piece-By-Piece Unboxing)

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Might want to frame them or something, because these aren't regular old band posters. When I was in college the only posters and thing I put up were regular ones that you can easily find on Amazon. All my limited edition fancy stuff stayed at home.

Good idea, I don’t have any of their posters so far so that’s why I want to sue these.

Is the 5.1 version of Appetite only available in this boxset and the L&L boxset? I'm curious to experience that. I've never owned a 5.1 surround system, but years ago a buddy played me The Downward Spiral in 5.1 and I was blown away by how different the experience was compared to just listening to the normal CD :blink: Will be expensive if I need to buy a surround sound system and the Super Deluxe boxset :(

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Is there a precedent where a release was promoted like this (a video with a label exec presenting it) and not by the artists themselves?

There is some interesting stuff between the lines of this recent interview with three Universal execs:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8461630/guns-n-roses-appetite-destruction-locked-n-loaded-edition

- The whole thing was mainly put together by the label. The band consented and approved, but they weren't much involved. In the end, they express the wish/hope that the band will "take over" the project (including doing interviews to promote it).

- The big expensive box wasn't in the initial plan, but then the label thought that there would be a market for it and their strategy focused on that (it seems that the pre-sales for the big box haven't gone as expected - what a surprise - and now they focus on the more approachable super-deluxe box and the cheaper editions).

The band hasn't actually promoted it much. They shared it on their social media and that's it. They play SOYL at the shows, but Axl hasn't introduced it so far or said anything about the box.

They sure do talk like marketing guys don't they?

I paid 113 shipped for this and i feel like I got a good deal.

The blu ray will sound fantastic, and the quality of the songs released so far is top notch.

Hearing Shadow is like the first time for me.  I think this box set would be great at 99.99 but at 113 I can't complain.  I'm excited to get it.

It is cool to have a new gnr product.  Hopefully this is just the beginning and they open the vaults to live shows and other stuff.

Would love an Illusion set.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I paid 113 shipped for this and i feel like I got a good deal.

The blu ray will sound fantastic, and the quality of the songs released so far is top notch.

Hearing Shadow is like the first time for me.  I think this box set would be great at 99.99 but at 113 I can't complain.  I'm excited to get it.

It is cool to have a new gnr product.  Hopefully this is just the beginning and they open the vaults to live shows and other stuff.

Would love an Illusion set.

$113 is far more reasonable. I could see owning the physical product for that price. 

52 minutes ago, Creed said:

You're on Axl's black list now. 

I'm certain Axl has no clue who I am however, if he did, I'm sure I would be blacklisted for many of my opinions lol

25 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

AfD and B sides are remaster. So Whole Lotta Rosie (live) is a remaster too?. That's cool. we have Whole Lotta Rosie in high quality.. the live version rocks

But the Live From The Jungle version is in high quality though? I mean, it's nice, but nothing incredible IMO. 

.....and just like THAT, my original excitement about the book is GONE.

Basically it's a short (worse?) version of the excellent Reckless Road.

Sure, always great to see new photos of the magnificence the band band was back then. But I was hoping there would be some sort of NEW content from the band members reflecting and reminiscing some more about back then. Give us some new lore. Comments from Axl about the photos, for example - easy to do. But no, I guess they're too busy flying airplanes.. LOL

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The first video promo for the box had given the impression that all the pictures in the book are from Axl's archive. It turns out that only some (5 maybe? LOL) of them are from Axl's archive and the rest are known pictures that have been around for years.

Pretty fucking sad, right? :(

58 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Pretty fucking sad, right? :(

Yeah... What likely happened is that the label had some pictures and they got some more, but they weren't enough. And since, as it seems, pictures owned by Marc Canter, Jack Lue and Robert John were excluded, they asked Fernando to find them more and he got them some from Axl's archive to fill the book.

The two pictures of Axl and Slash shown here are probably from Axl's archive, because I don't think I've seen them before:

IMG_2053.jpg

The picture is from Universal's party for the box, credit to @xfreekx

Edited by Blackstar

9 hours ago, downliner said:

Is the 5.1 version of Appetite only available in this boxset and the L&L boxset? I'm curious to experience that. I've never owned a 5.1 surround system, but years ago a buddy played me The Downward Spiral in 5.1 and I was blown away by how different the experience was compared to just listening to the normal CD :blink: Will be expensive if I need to buy a surround sound system and the Super Deluxe boxset :(

So far it's only in the Super Deluxe Edition.  A few bands like The Who have issued surround mixes both on their own and in box sets, but most others have reserved them for box sets.  It's the marketing strategy...

If you're going to go 5.1 to get this, it can be done pretty reasonably - just be careful about all-in-one 5.1 sets.  These are good options, although if you can spend a little more you'll get much more power (I'd get a $400 receiver and spend about the same on speakers for good performance): https://www.lifewire.com/best-home-theater-under-500-4138572

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waemoth said:

But the Live From The Jungle version is in high quality though? I mean, it's nice, but nothing incredible IMO. 

but i don´t have Live from The jungle. I´m not a fan of streaming or download (besides video bootlegs). I´m a fan of official material.. That´s why i want to buy the deluxe edition. I can´t wait

18 hours ago, Propaganda said:

Remasters are always good for volume purposes. I have to constantly put the volume up when I’m listening to Appetite. I hope they amped the sound a bit!

Dear god, no.  This post is why we can't have nice things.  If you want this you can always EQ the sound or whatever, but I want to be able to play AFD loud on a real sound system, and that means not mangling the audio by reducing the dynamic range.

AFD is one of the best-mastered rock albums of the 80s but analog-digital converters weren't nearly as good then.  The 24/96 remaster of Welcome to the Jungle that was included on a blu-ray sampler about 5 years ago had better dynamic range than the album, I hope the whole album is done that way.

If they're going to do a sonically destroyed version of this album for earbuds and cars, put it on streaming only, and leave the original version intact online as well.

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Is there a precedent where a release was promoted like this (a video with a label exec presenting it) and not by the artists themselves?

There is some interesting stuff between the lines of this recent interview with three Universal execs:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8461630/guns-n-roses-appetite-destruction-locked-n-loaded-edition

- The whole thing was mainly put together by the label. The band consented and approved, but they weren't much involved. In the end, they express the wish/hope that the band will "take over" the project (including doing interviews to promote it).

- The big expensive box wasn't in the initial plan, but then the label thought that there would be a market for it and their strategy focused on that (it seems that the pre-sales for the big box haven't gone as expected - what a surprise - and now they focus on the more approachable super-deluxe box and the cheaper editions).

The band hasn't actually promoted it much. They shared it on their social media and that's it. They play SOYL at the shows, but Axl hasn't introduced it so far or said anything about the box.

Thanks for sharing.  So...Slash has seen pictures of the box as concept art and said "wow."  Duff actually sat down with them and went through the box.  And Axl sent them some pictures but no direct involvement since.

Like others, I paid $116 shipped for the 5-disc version and I'm looking forward to it, but this could have been so much better.  Metallica's super deluxe of Master of Puppets is the same price and includes 10 CDs, LPs, and 2 DVDs.   But at least GNR are giving us a surround mix.

6 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Which, unless you have a dedicated room to properly "feel" the surround effect, is completely useless and as some people stated: CLUELESS.

Unless you wanna have fun downloading the Blu-ray, importing it into audacity and enjoying afd in 6 different tracks.

Edited by uruguns

5 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Which, unless you have a dedicated room to properly "feel" the surround effect, is completely useless and as some people stated: CLUELESS.

I'd be streaming the box on Spotify but for the surround mix.  To each their own.

20 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm sorry but I just can't understand anyone who is paying for this in any way, shape or form. In the age of streaming, everything in this set will be available to listen to without spending $180.

I don't usually quote posts pages upon pages later, but the answer for me is simple: 5.1 audio. AFD in 5.1 is basically a wet dream for me. That said...I can't be assed to buy it now really. Too much money tied up in the Maiden tour this year to justify it right now. I'll wait until my local record store does their annual 40% off sale in October, thank you very much. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I don't usually quote posts pages upon pages later, but the answer for me is simple: 5.1 audio. AFD in 5.1 is basically a wet dream for me. That said...I can't be assed to buy it now really. Too much money tied up in the Maiden tour this year to justify it right now. I'll wait until my local record store does their annual 40% off sale in October, thank you very much. 

I totally get the 5.1 aspect of the set however, I completely agree with waiting for a number of reasons. I'm guessing the $180 version can be had for under $100 later this year or early next year for sure.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I totally get the 5.1 aspect of the set however, I completely agree with waiting for a number of reasons. I'm guessing the $180 version can be had for under $100 later this year or early next year for sure.

I am buying it because I want to support the band. AFD is one of my favorite records, maybe the one that has had the most impact on me. I don't know how much I have spent on that record in my life, not much, one vinyl, a CD or two, but the amount of pleasure I have received is impossible to quantify. So I am giving back. And I do that while agreeing that it is a flawed product. But the record isn't.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am buying it because I want to support the band. AFD is one of my favorite records, maybe the one that has had the most impact on me. I don't know how much I have spent on that record in my life, not much, one vinyl, a CD or two, but the amount of pleasure I have received is impossible to quantify. So I am giving back. And I do that while agreeing that it is a flawed product. But the record isn't.

this band doesn't need financial support, they are already wealthy as hell.

What they do need is releasing new music

Edited by uruguns
grammar
  • Like 3