Ep. 71 - Copyright Democracy (feat. Ms. Metal & FransNRoses)

While it’s unfortunate that so much content that people enjoyed has been pulled, it doesn’t really change the fact that most of it was technically copyrighted material that they didn’t have rights to distribute. I’m not sure there’s anything that can be done now that’s it’s been flagged. Whether it’s a fan or the rights holder, it unfortunately doesn’t matter in those sites eyes. They can’t prove their rights, and until the actual rights holder comes forward to back the claim those accounts will remain suspended  

All that can happen now is the discussion in what to do legally with copyrighted material in the digital age. Hopefully these cases move that conversation forward 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

While it’s unfortunate that so much content that people enjoyed has been pulled, it doesn’t really change the fact that most of it was technically copyrighted material that they didn’t have rights to distribute. I’m not sure there’s anything that can be done now that’s it’s been flagged. Whether it’s a fan or the rights holder, it unfortunately doesn’t matter in those sites eyes. They can’t prove their rights, and until the actual rights holder comes forward to back the claim those accounts will remain suspended  

All that can happen now is the discussion in what to do legally with copyrighted material in the digital age. Hopefully these cases move that conversation forward 

I totally understand that it is likely copyrighted material.  But no one was enabling ads on this content and therefore they were not making any money on decades-old material that was never released.  I'd like to think it is simply considered promotional material by the powers that be.  There is an appetite for this content, why not release it at this point?  I wish the GNR YouTube channel would gain the rights to these videos and put them up themselves and monetize them.  I don't understand why this isn't done already.  

Again I know this is copyrighted material and the label/band/whoever own it.  I am not going to argue that point, but if you are opposed to videos from 25-30 years ago being up on YouTube by some one else who is NOT monetizing it then why not post them as the copyright holder and monetize them yourself?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WAR41 said:

This whole topic is such a downer.  Amazing content that was available for years and in some cases over a decade that I admittedly took for granted is now gone.  I do not understand why anyone would want to do this.  I sincerely hope there is another platform for this content that will be made available soon.  I do not donate to Patreon, but if some one would create a GNR archive that contains content from all these great YouTube channels that we could all access I would gladly cough up a dollar or two a month to help out.  

Because some people are human trash

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

I totally understand that it is likely copyrighted material.  But no one was enabling ads on this content and therefore they were not making any money on decades-old material that was never released.  I'd like to think it is simply considered promotional material by the powers that be.  There is an appetite for this content, why not release it at this point?  I wish the GNR YouTube channel would gain the rights to these videos and put them up themselves and monetize them.  I don't understand why this isn't done already.  

Again I know this is copyrighted material and the label/band/whoever own it.  I am not going to argue that point, but if you are opposed to videos from 25-30 years ago being up on YouTube by some one else who is NOT monetizing it then why not post them as the copyright holder and monetize them yourself?  

When you upload a video usually yt detected the content and told you its copyright and if u do nothing UMG will start monetize the video since day 1 so them are making money from all GN'R fan channels for years so that's not the issue, the issue is the 3 Little Pigs who thinks they are something...and act like they are from GN'R camp ROFL, but them The 3 Little Pigs can make money selling unheard stuff, nice .

• Like 1

I'm not very knowledgeable about how the youtube thing works but if Universal were monetizing these videos, then the band were receiving a revenue stream from the material. So whoever they are who has done this have inadvertently killed revenue for the band? 

1 hour ago, WAR41 said:

The monezitation doesn’t really matter in the eyes of YouTube. It’s really whether the user has the right to upload the material. I guess YouTube gives normal users the right to flag anything and it’s up to the uploader to prove their ownership. I suppose it mitigates their risk/liability, and this system is better than being routinely sued for negligence  

I don’t necessarily think any of this is the best way to handle in 2018 at all. We’re operating content rights as if it were the mid 70’s or late 90’s at best. It needs to be changed as our mediums change 

In a perfect world GNR controls all of it seamlessly. However if that were the case, I would still think stuff like demos and unreleased soundboard sources would see the same fate. Interviews and tv appearance open up another can of worms of who actually owns the rights.

Ultimately it’s a mess that wasn’t meant to be fought legally in 2018 and everyone suffers 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not very knowledgeable about how the youtube thing works but if Universal were monetizing these videos, then the band were receiving a revenue stream from the material. So whoever they are who has done this have inadvertently killed revenue for the band? 

Technically, however I don’t believe artists see a dime from any of that anyways. Def gets lost in the numbers in the labels favor 

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 2:26 PM, fanfzero said:

Same for me, and sending emails to the provided adress resulted in no answer

IFPI never even reviews the material they flag. This is a good read about the organization and how it operates https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140924/18042528632/revealed-how-to-get-ifpi-to-issue-bogus-dmca-takedowns-just-about-anything-with-no-questions-asked-no-review.shtml

• Sad 2

Does anyone or has anyone started a list of GnR stuff that has been taken down? It seems like there is no rhyme or reason as to what gets taken down and what doesn't....or at least I have not noticed a pattern. As I mentioned before, I want to hear Better w additional instruments, i.e. sound effects. It it not even a song, yet its removed.

1 hour ago, Stoymatic said:

Does anyone or has anyone started a list of GnR stuff that has been taken down? It seems like there is no rhyme or reason as to what gets taken down and what doesn't....or at least I have not noticed a pattern. As I mentioned before, I want to hear Better w additional instruments, i.e. sound effects. It it not even a song, yet its removed.

I wonder if Frans or Ms Metal have. She gave a rundown of all the channels that were affected.

No, i haven't kept track of it but it's mainly classic GnFnR, leaks and Mygnr visitors.
There's a website which keeps track of all complaints its called Lumendatabase you can search any single complaint and see info on who's behind it.
Here is a screenshot with an complaint against mygnr.

rAXPweo.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FRANSAD said:

No, i haven't kept track of it but it's mainly classic GnFnR, leaks and Mygnr visitors.
There's a website which keeps track of all complaints its called Lumendatabase you can search any single complaint and see info on who's behind it.
Here is a screenshot with an complaint against mygnr.

rAXPweo.png

Very interesting. There are soooooo many different complaints about GnR related material. I don't quite understand why so many people would complain to Google about things though....am I missing something? Google doesn't own Gnr stuff to my knowledge, and all they provide is the ability to find links to web sites, right?

21 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

Very interesting. There are soooooo many different complaints about GnR related material. I don't quite understand why so many people would complain to Google about things though....am I missing something? Google doesn't own Gnr stuff to my knowledge, and all they provide is the ability to find links to web sites, right?

I mean... Google owns YouTube

I understand why YouTube just take videos down when a claim is made. It's a safety measure because they do not want to deal with possible legal action. That doesn't mean however that I don't wish there was a more elegant solution. 

26 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Looks like they are starting shit on Twitter now too. This is beyond stupid.

i dont use twitter much but just had a browse to see whats going on. i had to have a chuckle when i saw who one of ms metals latest followers are

i could see trouble brewing on twitter 3 weeks ago when Alfred started following ms metal after the podcast 

• Like 1