What if Guns take The Eagles approach to copyright? (Flag all media?)

With the removal of a very large amount of concerts, fan vids, and general performances as of late, one can’t help but speculate if this is the way things are going to continue in the future for all things GNR.  

I don’t want this topic to seem like an overreaction, but consider the silence of the camp (amidst a few taunting jeers from gnr staff on Twitter.) as a statement in itself on how the band and management are handling the censorship that is rampant online.  

Consider The Eagles deal on copyright.  Almost every live concert, and fan videos taken at the venues are the most part, nowhere to be found.  Why?  Simply because The Eagles don’t want it up there.  Good luck finding their music online at all. You will need to buy the albums.  

Imagine if someday GNR release more music with a similar approach to censorship.  GNR could release another nauseatingly expensive new box set containing leftovers from Chinese Democracy part 2, and maybe live performances of NITL, of which people could have in the past easily found uploaded to YouTube already.  Unfortunately, you have to pay the piper his $1,000 bucks to hear Axl sing live in 2016..

If this sounds far fetched remember when Axl wanted all unflattering photos of him to be removed from the internet?  

Edited by TheFormerSoul

I’m probably not as disappointed as others because I kinda get what they are trying to do. 

What annoys me is, they don’t release anything. For instance, my favourite period of watching this band is the illusions period, and we have 1 DVD release from over 200 shows. When Saskatoon leaked I was stoked, but on the contrary, if they’d have released it for $25 bucks a pop with some special features then I’d pay it... happily. 

Thats where i get the shits... it literally makes no sense to do what they’re doing. 

• Like 4

Maybe the band feels like they had a successful tour, got the fans money, now fuck them. Their  past history should tell everyone everything they want to know about the band in terms of fan appreciation.

On the flip side, the band deserves to be compensated for their work and as stated above, it is their music and their choice.

4 hours ago, TheFormerSoul said:

With the removal of a very large amount of concerts, fan vids, and general performances as of late, one can’t help but speculate if this is the way things are going to continue in the future for all things GNR.  

Well I guess for me the question would be, if it wasn't for the main two knuckleheads behind the takedowns existing, would the videos still be taken down?

2 hours ago, Crazyman said:

It would be a weird step for a band that once encouraged its listeners to borrow an album from a friend and copy it so that they wouldn't have to buy two separate albums

yeah i thought the same too but then i looked again at the current band and i noticed it is not the same band, these are actually hosts from west(hollywood)world

6 hours ago, TheFormerSoul said:

I don’t want this topic to seem like an overreaction, but consider the silence of the camp (amidst a few taunting jeers from gnr staff on Twitter.) as a statement in itself on how the band and management are handling the censorship that is rampant online.  

Consider The Eagles deal on copyright.  Almost every live concert, and fan videos taken at the venues are the most part, nowhere to be found.  Why?  Simply because The Eagles don’t want it up there.  Good luck finding their music online at all. You will need to buy the albums.  

Imagine if someday GNR release more music with a similar approach to censorship.  GNR could release another nauseatingly expensive new box set containing leftovers from Chinese Democracy part 2, and maybe live performances of NITL, of which people could have in the past easily found uploaded to YouTube already.  Unfortunately, you have to pay the piper his $1,000 bucks to hear Axl sing live in 2016..

If this sounds far fetched remember when Axl wanted all unflattering photos of him to be removed from the internet?  

If put out high quality releases at a fair price your fans will buy them, no matter how many mediocre quality youtube vids there are.

Guns n' Roses barely puts out anything at all and the things they do put out (L&L) are horribly overpriced and not meant for a broader audience. 

So basically, fuck them. Release some actual music instead of bothering with this shit and bugging your undeservingly loyal fanbase, Team Complaints. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

How well served by archival live releases are The Eagles?

PS

I'm not one to contradict you but I just pulled up Eagles' bootlegs within 30 seconds of looking.

Yeah, I've been listening to a fair bit of Eagles lately and at work have been able to go on YouTube and listen to random bootlegs.

7 hours ago, Crazyman said:

It would be a weird step for a band that once encouraged its listeners to borrow an album from a friend and copy it so that they wouldn't have to buy two separate albums

Let’s be honest and say they released 2 albums separately so that you had to buy 2 separate releases, Geffen could fudge numbers with more breakage & promo, and that made more $ instead of bundling together for less. That line was BS if Duff believed it or not 

I think it would be a disservice to their continued long term success if they took that stance on uploads. My guess they will continue the current policy of more or less hands off on fan recordings. The demos and leaks may be another issue all together 

Edited by guitarpatch

18 hours ago, TheFormerSoul said:

Good luck finding their music online at all. You will need to buy the albums.  

That’s not a bad thing, you shouldn’t be downloading music illegally to begin with.

I wish that was the problem with gnr because then they wouldn’t look like a bunch of ridiculous assholes but it isn’t.

Removal of not only bootlegs but ALL material from the face of internet is FINE by me as long as they release shit load of music, past concert vids etc accessible through Nightrain membership.

But if you're gonna wipe out fanmade stuff and leave me with nothing instead, my mid finger to you.

And as I said before, this whole noobish way of handling the situation looks suspiciously familiar to me.

It's as much similar and unprofessional as coming to this very forum and tell the fans what to do or say.

Greetings from Dubai  @Fernando ;-)

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2018 at 7:39 AM, Juventino said:

Yeah, I've been listening to a fair bit of Eagles lately and at work have been able to go on YouTube and listen to random bootlegs.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:07 AM, nevergotochurch said:

I'm confused, as there is a ton of Eagles stuff on youtube, live and studio.

19 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Within 10 secs i found full greatest hits album on youtube uploaded ...

This is all correct. What are we missing here?

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This is all correct. What are we missing here?

From doing some reading it seems they do - or try to, anyway - crack down on things uploaded online, but it doesn't seem to be close to say, what Prince was doing when he was alive.

Edited by Juventino
fixed an error
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Removal of not only bootlegs but ALL material from the face of internet is FINE by me as long as they release shit load of music, past concert vids etc accessible through Nightrain membership.

I suggested this several times when I was a member of NT.  Make it worth it for me to pay money for a membership.  Random shitty contests, presale access to a shitty set of tickets and a shitty forum with mostly shitty people doesn’t do it for me. You’ve got an entire catalog of unreleased professionally recorded concerts.  This isn’t hard!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

I suggested this several times when I was a member of NT.  Make it worth it for me to pay money for a membership.  Random shitty contests, presale access to a shitty set of tickets and a shitty forum with mostly shitty people doesn’t do it for me. You’ve got an entire catalog of unreleased professionally recorded concerts.  This isn’t hard!

Agree with all specially the shitty people part. Been there and seen the biggest flatters and ass kissers. Even kissing DJ Ashba's ass :-))))