Myles Kennedy vs. Axl Rose - "Highway To Hell"

MidnightToker

My two cents on these Highway to Hell videos -- Axl has the swagger and style for sure that matches AC/DC, but I think Myles sounds great in that first verse -- which is basically the only time he sings by himself in this version with Steel Panther. 

He also played an all-AC/DC cover show with Gov't Mule a few years ago, but the video and audio quality on YouTube isn't great. 

Ax  wins, but his style is cut from the same cloth as AC/DC does. at least some of it. he can sing clean too but his trademark singing howl banshee wail is more in the ballpark of DC compared to myles who shines when he sings with his super clean voice on songs more like his Alter Bridge stuff and the mayfield four did have a cool style as well. t

Let's just say that I prefer myles doing his own stuff vocally and lyrically speaking. I like Blackbird and the first AB record the most. At his worst, Myles can be the most generic singer in the world. At his best he comes up with super catchy, technically impressive and very melodic stuff that does have his own feel. He's a great guitar player too. Recently he said he wants to go back to more of guitar playing in his records. I'd like to hear that plus his work on living the dream was pretty good. Some of it I've enjoyed.

Myles sings Highway to Hell, a song immortalized by Bon Scott and his razor sharp delinquent voice, as a good boy who just got out of mommys dinner.
Axl while not perfect, has a kind of voice that is surprisingly close to Bon. 

Is there really anything to compare? 

No question Axl is much better at this. He’s got the right vibe and distortion... I’m never much of a fan of Miles, really. He sings good but it is not a voice that one keeps in memory like Axl’s (voice til 92). His voice was so exceptional, so distinguishable, unique and rock n roll, I cannot praise it enough. And yes he was great in Axl/DC.

22 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Fair point. I agree with you actually. Songs like Rocket Queen I instantly give to Myles though.

I just can’t listen to Rocket Queen with Myles singing it! I accept that Axl can be hit and miss recently but when he hits it’s just better. Myles is a great singer for sure however I really struggle with him singing the GNR stuff.

With Rocket Queen it's not so much Myles singing per se. The song loses its multi dimensional character, because Myles doesn't seem to fully understand its complexity. There are so many layers of different emotions throughout the song completely lost by Myles interpretation. 

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, T-Minus said:

Axl. 

As far as other elements go, the Steel Panther drummer shits all over Chris Slade during this song.  He plays it properly and Chris Slade plays it like it's a jingly Christmas remix.

thank you sir. i couldnt stand Slades playing on the ROB tour, the hi hat constantly sounded shit and he never had the right feeling for the songs. I missed Phil more than Malcolm during the tour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

thank you sir. i couldnt stand Slades playing on the ROB tour, the hi hat constantly sounded shit and he never had the right feeling for the songs. I missed Phil more than Malcolm during the tour

I cannot fathom why he thinks that adding almost constant hi hat to songs improves them when it clearly is detrimental to the feel.  I missed Phil during that tour too but Malcolm is a GIANT miss.  Stevie is awesome and all and doing a good job filling the shoes but he will never replace Mal.

• Like 1