2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

14 hours ago, Amir said:

Wasn't just the title track that had great bass that got buried in the mix. TWAT and Riad had some really good bass parts, the latter especially is almost bass-driven in the demos.

100% agreed on Riad.

For TWAT, although the bass is buried in the mix (as on every song!) I actually preferred the final bass version. The Village leaks had an almost swing-like bass bit for the chorus which I think is actually a bit out of place for that song. Also actually preferred the higher guitar chords in the chorus in the '06 demo than the final version.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

100% agreed on Riad.

For TWAT, although the bass is buried in the mix (as on every song!) I actually preferred the final bass version. The Village leaks had an almost swing-like bass bit for the chorus which I think is actually a bit out of place for that song. Also actually preferred the higher guitar chords in the chorus in the '06 demo than the final version.

Do you mean higher than the orchestral strings in the mix? I've only listened to the '06 demo maybe two or three times, can't really remember it beside the missing intro and lack of the super deep backing vocals compared to the album version.

1 minute ago, Amir said:

Do you mean higher than the orchestral strings in the mix? I've only listened to the '06 demo maybe two or three times, can't really remember it beside the missing intro and lack of the super deep backing vocals compared to the album version.

Sorry and Shackler's Revenge also seemed to have those deep vocals. Not sure when they were added, perhaps it was a trend at the time to do that.

4 hours ago, Amir said:

No, the guitar work during “it was a long time for me, it was a long time for you...”

Yeah that’s the one, simple piano intro and a lack of the unnecessary deep vocals :P. Was part of the leaks that had the long and short bucket solos. For me, the definitive version of TWAT and is the one that makes my ‘best of’ final album for sure. 

Edited by CAFC Nick
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

No, the guitar work during “it was a long time for me, it was a long time for you...”

Yeah that’s the one, simple piano intro and a lack of the unnecessary deep vocals :P. Was part of the leaks that had the long and short bucket solos. For me, the definitive version of TWAT and is the one that makes my ‘best of’ final album for sure. 

I didn't like how the intro got more complicated as the time (and leaks) progressed for TWAT. I prefer the intro of the version that first featured Buckethead's amazing solo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I didn't like how the intro got more complicated as the time (and leaks) progressed for TWAT. I prefer the intro of the version that first featured Buckethead's amazing solo.

I believe every intro got more complicated over time. Or at least was revamped, like The Blued/SOD.

9 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't mind it. I think its a good build up. But it does seems like it's indeed cut from that soundcheck video.

It would be alright for an album-opener, but it just feels too long for what should be a 3~ minute rocker.

Kinda similar to the final versions of Rhiad and the title track.

Hard School and Atlas Shrugged would be great as singles. Tonto, Quick Song and Zodiac could evolve into something really interesting. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Hard School and Atlas Shrugged would be great as singles. Tonto, Quick Song and Zodiac could involve into something really interesting. 

Agreed, but I’d add Curly Shuffle and Prom Violence in there too

• Like 1

Just now, gavgnr said:

Agreed, but I’d add Curly Shuffle and Prom Violence in there too

Prom Violence is great, but I dont think that Slash could do that song justice. He would have to change to much. 

47 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It would be alright for an album-opener, but it just feels too long for what should be a 3~ minute rocker.

Kinda similar to the final versions of Rhiad and the title track.

I disagree. I absolutely hate Riad's intro on CD. It was redundant (because Chinese already had an eerie intro like that), irritating and unnecessary. At least Hardschool's intro is something with a melody and interesting drums and guitars.

2 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

I don't think they will use instrumental songs. Slash and Duff will never be alright. why they will do that ? as some covers ?

What's the difference between using those instrumental songs and the ones such as Hardschool?

And obviously, those songs probably evolved to something else and potentially had vocals on it. They didn't have the intention to keep it as instrumentals.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 4:27 PM, Voodoochild said:

I believe every intro got more complicated over time. Or at least was revamped, like The Blued/SOD.

I don't remember much difference between the Blues intros. Riad had a decent short intro with the early leaks. Scraped had a weird intro with the goofy Axl vocals on the album.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I don't remember much difference between the Blues intros. Riad had a decent short intro with the early leaks. Scraped had a weird intro with the goofy Axl vocals on the album.

Album version of SOD is more relaxed piano only, The Blues had the drums / guitars kick in. I prefer The Blues.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:22 PM, Sosso said:

Hard School and Atlas Shrugged would be great as singles. Tonto, Quick Song and Zodiac could evolve into something really interesting. 

I think Atlas Shrugged would be horrendous as a single

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pele said:

I think Atlas Shrugged would be horrendous as a single

If they removed those random dropped beats and extended bars that pop up for no reason whatsoever that will make it flow better, and rework the structure slightly to allow a bit more breathing space between the various sections, then it could become a very good song.

25 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

If they removed those random dropped beats and extended bars that pop up for no reason whatsoever that will make it flow better, and rework the structure slightly to allow a bit more breathing space between the various sections, then it could become a very good song.

It's that line about being a man......

On 1/5/2020 at 11:26 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I hope the rumour is true that Cuban Skies is actually Dummy, because that's one of the best instrumentals we got IMO.

First time I hear this rumour, where does it come from? Any other details?

I love Dummy VERY much, so I hope we get to hear more of it in one form or the other. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, CAFC Nick said:

I read somewhere that those deep vocals were the lowest notes Axl has recorded. Thought that was interesting. 

11 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

First time I hear this rumour, where does it come from? Any other details?

I love Dummy VERY much, so I hope we get to hear more of it in one form or the other. 

I've seen it mentioned a few times on other forums, but there's a lot of BS out there... I just hope they eventually release a finished version of Dummy.

• Like 2