The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, Sweersa said:

State Of Grace could use a short but intense Slash/Fortus/Buckethead/Robin guitar solo, and a proper vocal take (I believe the one we heard was placeholder or "scratch vocals")

I agree on Perhaps needing nothing more than a proper mix and mastering.

Agreed (so we'll likely never hear State of Grace but Perhaps will be on any forthcoming album lol)

57 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

There is no new album.

They got nothing.

Since 2016 the only stuff that hasn't been done live in a while was a 30 year old outtake (Shadow Of Your Love from 1986 previously officially released as a b-side to Live And Let Die single in 1991) and another 20 year old outtake from the Chinese Democracy sessions (Silkworms aka Absurd, performed live for the first time at Rock in Rio in 2001)

These are not new songs! These are outtakes they haven't performed live for a long time, but they already performed them in concerts decades ago. Like dusting off deep cuts, just nowhere near the quality of the deep cuts.

Up next will be yet another 20 year old outtake from the Chinese Democracy sessions, named Hearts Cool or however those dyslexic motherfuckers gonna spell it.

5 years of "reunion" = 3 outtakes and some covers.

If there will ever be another GNR album, it's likely going to be a doggy bag filled with cold, stale, raw, overcooked, half-baked and half rotten lefftovers. Duff might throw in a punk song while Slash will be noodling to vocals Axl recorded 20 years ago.

They are done.

Around the time of the 2008 CD release, they had at least one other record ready to go, which was planned for release the following year. (Per one of the Axl chats, and others have chimed in about this over the years)

In addition to the above, step back a few years to 2006, Axl said they had about 2.5 albums worth of material during the Eddie Trunk radio show, and were actually working on material that night.

This isn't even considering what all Baz heard when Axl played him the vault.

Just because Axl/the "band" hasn't released much of this unheard stuff, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If a few more songs from the Village leaks had vocals, that's about two albums of material. And I know there were songs of that time period that were finished with vocals that were not part of those leaks.

In 2014 Axl talked about both a CD remix album, and the second part of Chinese Democracy being done for a while now.

So, they most definitely have material, and they are far from leftovers. In 2008, they didn't put all of their best eggs in one Chinese basket. They shifted the best songs between the two albums, which any reasonable band would do if they have more than one album worth of material they plan on dropping. Just about every album from any big band is full of stinker songs, some more than most but usually have at least a few gems on there, while others could be growers at best.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

It’s possible he won’t record another note until they are off of their deal and hasn’t recorded a note of himself since UMg stopped funding the CD sessions. If that means trying to convince UMG to release whatever’s left to get out of it, than so be it 

He has recorded after UMG stopped financing the project. It's been confirmed that he has (2006 and 2007).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pele said:

The idea that a new album with new vocals exists, but they've decided Silkworms with vocals done in 99 is the best choice for first single is incredibly stupid.

Again, this seems to be borne out of your own personal dislike for the song. But if you realized that the song isn't that much of a failure, that the band probably loves the song, and that Axl works in mysterious ways anyways, then there is no conundrum you have to resolve through the concoction of improbable theories. 

Guns N' Roses do weird shit. We know that. 

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Around the time of the 2008 CD release, they had at least one other record ready to go, which was planned for release the following year. (Per one of the Axl chats, and others have chimed in about this over the years)

In addition to the above, step back a few years to 2006, Axl said they had about 2.5 albums worth of material during the Eddie Trunk radio show, and were actually working on material that night.

Just because Axl/the "band" hasn't released much of this unheard stuff, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If a few more songs from the Village leaks had vocals, that's about two albums of material. And I know there were songs of that time period that were finished with vocals that were not part of those leaks.

In 2014 Axl talked about both a CD remix album, and the second part of Chinese Democracy being done for a while now.

So, they most definitely have material, and they are far from leftovers. In 2008, they didn't put all of their best eggs in one Chinese basket. They shifted the best songs between the two albums, which any reasonable band would do if they have more than one album worth of material they plan on dropping. Just about every album from any big band is full of stinker songs, some more than most but usually have at least a few gems on there, while others could be growers at best.

Good imput as always.

Agree with a lot of this - I just disagree with the level of completion of the second album.

I don't think it was ready to go.  I think there was a clear vision of the second album, and it was going to contain HarsSkool, State of Grace, Perhaps, Atlas, General and the plan was to finish writing/recording some of the instrumentals.

I think that's about as far as it got. 

It looks like The General was done, but I'd wager not much else.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, this seems to be borne out of your own personal dislike for the song. But if you realized that the song isn't that much of a failure, that the band probably loves the song, and that Axl works in mysterious ways anyways, then there is no conundrum you have to resolve through the concoction of improbable theories. 

Guns N' Roses do weird shit. We know that. 

A combination of mine (and the fanbase's original) dislike for the song, and the fact that it was one of a very small amount that his parts were finished on.

13 minutes ago, Pele said:

and the fact that it was one of a very small amount that his parts were finished on.

It doesn't become a fact just because you keep saying it :lol: 

Your argument that Absurd was released because that's the song that could be released with the least amount of work, because nothing else really exists, is demonstrably false. They could just as well have added Slash and Duff's parts to Atlas Shrugged and released that one instead of Absurd, or Perhaps, or Hard Skool, or The General, or Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul, etc etc, all of which contain Axl's vocals. The fact that they didn't, that they instead decided to go with Absurd --  despite you loathing it -- means they actually wanted to release that song as the first single, for unknown reasons but many plausible reasons can be suggested, with no regards for your feelings.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It doesn't become a fact just because you keep saying it :lol: 

Your argument that Absurd was released because that's the song that could be released with the least amount of work, because nothing else really exists, is demonstrably false. They could just as well have added Slash and Duff's parts to Atlas Shrugged and released that one instead of Absurd, or Perhaps, or Hard Skool, or The General, or Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul, etc etc, all of which contain Axl's vocals. The fact that they didn't, that they instead decided to go with Absurd --  despite you loathing it -- means they actually wanted to release that song as the first single, for unknown reasons but many plausible reasons can be suggested, with no regards for your feelings.

Yes to HardSkool, Perhaps and Atlas.  Probably not to Elvis/Soul.  Not sure what state The General is in.

You know how utterly insecure he is.

People didn't like OMG so he wrote a press release saying it was a demo

People didn't like If The World so he pretended it was deliberately cheesy

He's picked Silkworms because it's finished, and a perfect song where he can just say 'it's just a joke' when it get's laughed at - instead of releasing a decent but unremarkable rocker like HardSkool

If you play Absurd backwards through a seashell, turned at a 47 degree angle, ensuring the front door is open, with the room in complete darkness, then you will hear Axl clearly whisper... "Chris Pitman is God." I just love how much effort he puts in for the real fans to discover. Maybe this is a sign that CP is coming back? Always felt 3 keyboardists would be better in GNR.

• ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Yes to HardSkool, Perhaps and Atlas.  Probably not to Elvis/Soul.  Not sure what state The General is in.

You know how utterly insecure he is.

People didn't like OMG so he wrote a press release saying it was a demo

People didn't like If The World so he pretended it was deliberately cheesy

He's picked Silkworms because it's finished, and a perfect song where he can just say 'it's just a joke' when it get's laughed at - instead of releasing a decent but unremarkable rocker like HardSkool

So now you are not claiming Absurd was chosen among the finished songs because that's the song that could be released with the least effort, but because he could laugh it away as a joke. That doesn't make much sense. And you are just moving goalposts.

10 minutes ago, klakly said:

Does anyone think that anyone, even a record label, can get Axl to do anything if he doesn't agree? Especially releasing music? Absurd is out because Axl wanted it that way.

No.  I think it had to be forced out of him contractually.

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So now you are not claiming Absurd was chosen among the finished songs because that's the song that could be released with the least effort, but because he could laugh it away as a joke. That doesn't make much sense. And you are just moving goalposts.

I've been clear what I think.

I think they've been told they need to release a song as part of the deal.

I think he's decided not to complete anything and his options are Silkworms, Perhaps, Atlas or HardSkool.

I think he's feeling self conscious about his work (which I'd say a lot agree that he is) and he's picked Silkworms as there is a ready made excuse if people don't like it.

If he's agreed additional songs or album, I've indicated what you can expect to see.

I think that one point that Pele may have correct is that most of the songs worked on originates from the 99/00 sessions, but that doesnt mean that they never finished them (but possibly the exact opposite)

Bumblefoot were vocal about Axl did not want him or others to write more new stuff.

Just now, betterman said:

I think that one point that Pele may have correct is that most of the songs worked on originates from the 99/00 sessions, but that doesnt mean that they never finished them (but possibly the exact opposite)

Bumblefoot were vocal about Axl did not want him or others to write more new stuff.

Fink was also vocal about constantly working on instrumental #32.

BucketHead also left when it became clear it wasn't going to go anywhere.

41 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

What Axl says is one thing, what he does is another. He talks more about new songs than actually releasing them. Three albums my ass, they had to put garbage like Scraped and Riad on CD to fill it.

Don't get me wrong - I'd be happy if he had any material to put out, but don't you think he'd have at least some of it out by now? I mean it's been 13 years since CD, the guy is 60 years old and his fans ain't getting any younger either.

I seriously doubt Absurd will be a stand-alone single, the band and Axl never do that unless it's from the soundtrack of a movie and no movie wants Absurd.

I'm probably too optimistic/dumb but do you guys think that just like their three previous releases they will release the new album on november and Axl spent the pandemic finishing it, the album's ready and Absurd and Hard Skool are the singles that will precede it while in the memantime they tour?

1 minute ago, North Korean Democracy said:

I seriously doubt Absurd will be a stand-alone single, the band and Axl never do that unless it's from the soundtrack of a movie and no movie wants Absurd.

I'm probably too optimistic/dumb but do you guys think that just like their three previous releases they will release the new album on november and Axl spent the pandemic finishing it, the album's ready and Absurd and Hard Skool are the singles that will precede it while in the memantime they tour?

No, because that's too great to be true. 

2 minutes ago, North Korean Democracy said:

I think that you could be right but for the wrong reasons. Live Nation saw the poor ticket sales and wanted to press an album out of Axl/GN'R. 

Edited by Sosso

2 minutes ago, North Korean Democracy said:

It’s possible they just release individual songs over a period of time. So you could have something like 12 songs released in a staggered fashion across 2-3 years. 

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

It’s possible they just release individual songs over a period of time. So you could have something like 12 songs released in a staggered fashion across 2-3 years. 

Bumblefoot will probably feel even more bitter now because that was his plan for 2011 :lol:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Ok, so I'm assuming you think a new album might look as follows:

1. Thyme (atmospheric orchestral opening, straight into.....)
  2. PRL (nine inch nails meets led zep, with full rasp vocals and cool slash solo)
  3. Berlin (moving song with poignant lyrics about the Oklahoma bombing)
  4. The General (full orchestra, emotional song about Axl's childhood)
  5. Zodiac 13 (thrilling song about the mysterious killer with great vocal)
  6. Brand new blues rocker written by Slash/Axl
  7. Elvis and the SoulMonster (the craziest vocal Axl has ever done)
  8. Absurd (1999 Silkworms - doesn't really fit but whatever, everything else is great)
  9. Seven (absolute masterpiece with Marco Beltrami strings complimenting some Nov. Rain style solos)
  10. 100 Cuban Skies (glorious Axl ballad about his love for Cuban Cigars
  11. Duff punk song (this ones for Johnny!)
  12. Quick Song (delighted he finally finished those vocals - what a song!)
  13. State of Grace (beautiful re-record, he annunciated the words perfectly and hits those high notes)
  14. Prom Violece (this is it!!!  the ending to the 'triilogy')

I think it's this (if it ever happens)

1. HardSkool (99 vocal)
  2. Atlas Shrugged (99 vocal)
  3. Going Down (Duff on Vocal)
  4. Silkworms (99 vocal)
  5. New Duff Song
  6. Knocking on Heavens Door (99 vocal)
  7. The General (07 vocal)
  8. Perhaps (99 vocal)
  9. PRL (instrumental with Thyme)
  10. Duff punk song (this ones for Johnny!)
  11. Children of the Revolution (07 vocal)
  12. Oh My God (99 Vocal)

Bonus tracks - Blood in the Water, Rock the Rock and This I Love remix

• Like 1