The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't mean this in a shitty way towards you specifically, but isn't it just sad what we've been reduced to as a fan base? We'll settle for "something" 

It’s very depressing. It’s come to a point where the hardcore fanbase has been dwindling for a while now, and I know the majority of users on here are here for the community and other forum sections at this point because Guns offers nothing. 

What pisses me off the most is just me having this image of Axl that he was this musical genius  (still is but is creatively retired) with a brilliant plan, and then realizing that he succumbed to what he once hated, a band whoring out the back catalog and catering to nostalgia.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

he succumbed to what he once hated, a band whoring out the back catalog and catering to nostalgia.

Wouldn't even be so tragic if they hadn't made only 4 proper albums of original material. 

Quite why Axl is so content to rest on his laurels creatively, after releasing such a small amount of music is baffling.

Edited by Towelie

I do wonder if Fernando realizes just how retarded this makes him look.  I just can't get over that they're seemingly blindsided by music being consumed differently in 2020 to the point where it stonewalls a release.  It's just unreal.

Edited by sofine11
  • GNFNR 1

Just now, Towelie said:

Wouldn't even be so tragic if they hadn't made only 4 proper albums of original material. 

That, and the fact that there exists a million demos and unfinished songs that really should’ve been released in these past 20 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sofine11 said:

I do wonder if Fernando realizes just how retarded this makes him look.  I just can't get over that they're seemingly blindsided by music being consumed differently in 2020 to the point where it stonewalls a release.  It's just unreal.

You don't actually believe that line from Slash do you? It's just an excuse.

Just now, Towelie said:

You don't actually believe that line from Slash do you? It's just an excuse.

Well, I've said before, he's probably just repeating what he's been fed by management in regard to why this album won't be released in time to support the upcoming tour.  I don't think he actually believes what he said, as he does not overthink his own album releases like that.

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

To be fair to Axl, he never promised anything. His last statement on the subject was last year in Iceland, where all he said was "you never know".

Axl's most honest interview was with Del James in 2009. It was very telling in regards to how he feels about releasing music:

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

He certainly never promised anything but he's also said massively different things at different points. I very recently re-read all the 2008 Axl chats from shortly before this and he sounded extremely positive about unreleased songs being heard and 'same bat time, same bat channel' etc. The London 2002 '18 songs, ten extra tracks, 3 albums' deal. 

I have no doubt that by idiots he means us. From the chats it was clear he'd been taking notes on forum members probably since first engaging with fans online. 

The 'we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes' sounds like him at his most defeated and this was after what he called the worst year of his life. In 2010, 2012, 2013 there were plenty of rumors and powerpoints suggesting something was coming. 

55 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Axl isn’t getting younger. Assuming GNR retires when Axl is 66-67, the band has less than 10 years left, and I can realistically see this band trying to do this cycle until the retirement.

I know i'm a broken record here but, fuck, we first heard Madagascar etc when Axl was 39. It's still something of a novelty to hear this 'new' song played live on NITL. And we're wondering if we'll hear any more new songs by the time he's fucking 69. 

I don't see him getting away with whatever his voice will be like by then. It's now or never. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That's a pretty honest and to the point answer. Can't fault him for that. 

Be interesting to know whether "have no idea and don't care" has altered at all in the last 10 years..........

Read Towlie's sig from 2010. Watch China Exchange 2016. The Axl chats. The 2014 interview. It's constantly changed from the start. 

Well, you're all depressing me. I'm depressing me. Guns N' Roses is depressing me. Maybe 2016 was the pinnacle, you guys. Slash and Duff return. Secret Troubadour show. Coachella. I was all for the tours in 2016. They were feeling it out. Seeing how they got along. Adding dates. I was all for the continued touring without  a record in 2017. Then I was like, well, fuck, this AC/DC thing is getting in the way of them working on a new album, but it's pretty cool seeing Axl do a bunch of AC/DC songs. All the while I hoped then when that was over, we'd get a new album. And yet here we are.

It's just really baffling that Guns N' Roses can add covers, Axl can do a bunch of old AC/DC songs, and yet they refuse to play any original material they've never done live. Like, you don't have to release it. Just fucking play "Perhaps." Don't even tell us what it's called. Just launch into it and let the internet catch fire.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

It`s all a shame. Axl is not an Artist anymore. He is a mostly a performer for the past 20 years, Performing the same Songs over and over again almost on Autopilot These days. Slash and Duff are back on board but they have no Control over Axl and he doesn`t give a fuck About releasing Music. Like another user here said he became the guy he once hated, Living on his back catalog and not evolving or taking a Risk. 

Duff just said in the Jonesy Interview how cool it was the Ozzy Sessions, recording 9 tracks in 4 days. He also said thats how a rock band should operate. It`s sad that this is not possible in his own band.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My theory is that Axl is diffident (am I using this word correctly?) towards releasing new music. I have seen ChiDem used as a meme for something not living up to expectations more than once. I'd say expectations were way higher towards new Guns music in the 00s than now though, among the more mainstream rock fans. But he might be thinking something along the lines of "why go through a potential flop" or something. I just hope all of you get what you deserve - some new fucking music!!!

23 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

It will be a combination of things if it gets released. Including CDs Vinyl etc... 

Question is the other things needed to facilitate a release. To me it seems they don’t want to just release it/tour and that’s the extent of it. They want it to have a chance of some sort of success and have it worth their energy. 

Grandoise marketing plans/brand tie ins aside, it really comes down to if the songs are any good. Hopefully we get to hear it 

I hope so. I usually buy the cd and the vinyl for my brother.

I know whatever GNR release will sell. Fans want to hear new music especially with Duff and Slash back. I did like CD, but I know the three of them would make amazing songs together.

I just wish it was sooner rather than later. It's time a rock band was on top of the charts again. So sick of all the pop people and their shitty music.

How is this thread even this long. You're building yourself up for disappointment. It's just like when the 2011 tour started and everyone was convinced they'd play new stuff and a new album was imminent. Then the 2012 tour started up and the same thing happened. Again in 2014. Then in 2016. And so on. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They should do what Eminem just did - surprise-release a full album, drop a single/music video at the same time, and take pre-orders for physical copies on their official website. The digital, CD and vinyl releases can all have slightly different cover art, too. Everybody wins. Eminem did no promotion for his album, because he simply didn't need to, he just sent out a tweet and dropped the album.

I know.... "but it's GNR"....

I want this to happen too. But isn't Eminem's fanbase way bigger these days (edit: than GNRs)? I feel like people eat up everything he makes because he's still "relevant" in modern day's mainstream music.

Edited by ArthurMorgan

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The first new album with Axl and Slash will definitely be relevant to the general 'rock music' audience.

I just don't think a surprise release is the way to go. I think they could hook a lot more customers building up some hype.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The first new album with Axl and Slash will definitely be relevant to the general 'rock music' audience.

Heck, I’d say music audience in general. When the reunion was first announced, everyone and their grandma took notice of it, rock fan or not. I can see the same applying with new music. If for no other reason than sheer curiosity, the average music fan will be interested enough to give it a listen. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

I just don't think a surprise release is the way to go. I think they could hook a lot more customers building up some hype.

It depends how worried they are about leaks, honestly. A surprise-release basically eliminates that problem. And I really don't think they'll have any problems 'hooking customers' lol.

3 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

Heck, I’d say music audience in general. When the reunion was first announced, everyone and their grandma took notice of it, rock fan or not. I can see the same applying with new music. If for no other reason than sheer curiosity, the average music fan will be interested enough to give it a listen. 

Exactly. The reunion was interesting for music fans whether they were 16 years old or 60. A new album from GNR would be one of those very rare things that captures the attention of all types of fans, the only real comparison I can think of would be a Led Zeppelin tour or something huge like that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

I want this to happen too. But isn't Eminem's fanbase way bigger these days (edit: than GNRs)? I feel like people eat up everything he makes because he's still "relevant" in modern day's mainstream music.

Yeah and no. He's had a resurgence with the album he dropped in 2019. But the album prior to that I think was critically panned and people were like, nah, bro, you're old now. Then he also had that feud with that guy who played Tommy Lee (Machine Gun Kelly) in the Netflix movie. 

Eminem is actually comparable to GNR in that their heyday has come and gone, but they can still release relevant music. With rappers it's just easier 'cause the collabs. Eminem has a song that he raps over a Juice WRLD track. And considering Juice just died and his star was on the rise, everybody is checking that song out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

How is this thread even this long. You're building yourself up for disappointment. It's just like when the 2011 tour started and everyone was convinced they'd play new stuff and a new album was imminent. Then the 2012 tour started up and the same thing happened. Again in 2014. Then in 2016. And so on. 

There are certain individuals coming up with ludicrous scenarios and basically starting mass hysteria over things that have zero percent chance of happening.

• Like 1

It's not only that GNR refuses to release new music, they also don't give honest interviews. So they think that fans (1) don't deserve to hear new songs, and (2) don't even deserve to know anything about what's going on with the band. And people still throw money at them via tickets and merch. They must be laughing all the way to the bank.