Need your help!

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd definitely prefer something we've never heard over a higher-quality version of something we've already heard.

Totally yes. And something we had see it in that horrible audience shot gen4. We need to see Bogotá 1992 FULL. And other unseen show on any kind of beautifull proshot tape.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to see something we've never seen or heard, Greensboro 1991 might be the ultimate pick. I've heard rumors about Locomotive being played in one of the shows in Dallas 1991 which wasn't bootlegged.

Something to consider is that the recordings of some shows are so bad that I personally don't bother too much with them. The third and fourth shows in Inglewood 1991 fall into this category along with the Toronto show where Back Off Bitch was played.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, troccoli said:

See, that's the thing.  It kind of reminds me of the recent leaks.  Do we really want a whole bunch of shit that's just a half decibel this or that?  I would prefer to focus on truly unique stuff.

I am responding to both the above posts here, plus the one from the member asking about the Charlotte show.  There are a number of shows that we know are amazing.  Now if we had to choose, we would prefer those amazing shows in the best possible quality we have ever seen/heard, or would we prefer video/audio of shows we have never heard, even if they might not be as great as those other shows?  Hopefully we can get both of course, but if we had to choose?  A true dilemma!

Re response to me - totally agree. No-one wants demos of stuff already out there or barely different. I’d guess the Clearmountain ones or the ones Slash referred to would be the big ones to target I guess - they are the most famous ones and aren’t out in the public domain either.

Re shows - as you say, both would be perfect but if there was a show out there that was truly awesome, I’d want that regardless of whether there was a bootleg of it.

I suppose we all want whatever’s the best representation and performance of the band at that time. There is not enough so whatever we CAN get, let’s make it brilliant.

Maybe a series of polls or something could help steer towards certain shows for potential inclusion? Get folk to vote over the shows to distill down to the ‘pinnacle’ performances?

Thanks again for doing this - I’m sure what we will eventually get will be tremendous. Can’t wait! 👍

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Another thing is that it would be good if the box set is released and ready to ship earlier in the year instead of the middle of the summer. That way we can properly celebrate the anniversary of UYI the whole year.

But UYI 1&2 were released in september right? Afd was released in july was it not?

3 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It’s going to be a half baked box set. 

This is also a good point, actually. I’d rather them take their to get it right then rush it, even if that means waiting all the way until the end of 2021.

...Then again, how hard can it really be to just put together a boxset?

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

This is also a good point, actually. I’d rather them take their to get it right then rush it, even if that means waiting all the way until the end of 2021.

...Then again, how hard can it really be to just put together a boxset?

I don’t intend to be negative toward Fernando or the bands effort to deliver a UYI box set, but with only a year to comb thru, edit, and modernize any film, then production of the actual boxes with a year sounds lined a rushed job. And it sounds like they are only collecting ideas at this point. So, it’s in the embryonic stage. Again, with only a year to go. I’m hopeful that we will get some new concert footage and I’ll be grateful if that occurs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I don’t intend to be negative toward Fernando or the bands effort to deliver a UYI box set, but with only a year to comb thru, edit, and modernize any film, then production of the actual boxes with a year sounds lined a rushed job. And it sounds like they are only collecting ideas at this point. So, it’s in the embryonic stage. Again, with only a year to go. I’m hopeful that we will get some new concert footage and I’ll be grateful if that occurs. 

This is not driven by the Band or Fernando. @troccoli confirmed it’s the record label - although they will no doubt have an input like last time.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 9:52 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd definitely prefer something we've never heard over a higher-quality version of something we've already heard.

yeah I'm not going to lie, I cant tell a damn differece between my AFD cd from 20 years ago and the remastered one that came out 2 yrs ago.  maybe I'm not listening for the part where "you can really hear the 4th beat of Steven's tambourine" or whatever the difference is supposed to be.  but I'm also not a guys who buys 500 dollar speakers, so maybe until I do, I'll never hear whatever the difference is.

I'd prefer something neverheard before

Edited by Chester 524
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

This is not driven by the Band or Fernando. @troccoli confirmed it’s the record label - although they will no doubt have an input like last time.

Ahhhhh. Cool, thank you. I was not aware. That actually makes me feel a bit better. It would be nice if the band were passionate about these products. I feel like it wound reflect in the quality.  I suppose it’s safe to assume the Locked and Loaded was profitable if the label wants to do another. How much could one of those box cost to produce? 200$ tops. 

On 6/19/2020 at 2:36 AM, Waemoth said:

I'd prefer to see something we've never seen or heard, Greensboro 1991 might be the ultimate pick. I've heard rumors about Locomotive being played in one of the shows in Dallas 1991 which wasn't bootlegged.

Something to consider is that the recordings of some shows are so bad that I personally don't bother too much with them. The third and fourth shows in Inglewood 1991 fall into this category along with the Toronto show where Back Off Bitch was played.

The Dallas show would be awesome the first show after St. Louis. I’m certain it was tense. 

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Ahhhhh. Cool, thank you. I was not aware. That actually makes me feel a bit better. It would be nice if the band were passionate about these products. I feel like it wound reflect in the quality.  I suppose it’s safe to assume the Locked and Loaded was profitable if the label wants to do another. How much could one of those box cost to produce? 200$ tops. 

Dunno mate - I know MetallicA are often used as the example but it’s a good example. I have paid about between £170 and £220 for each of the 4 Deluxe Boxsets and they are a simple ‘clam’ box and filled with cds, DVDs, vinyl, tapes, books and the odd trinket (patch/badges).

I think they are all super value for money and if the UYI box looked like that, I’d be happy.

Im sure the record company were the ones to push the trinkets last time - by the sounds of it they have heard he feedback and are properly engaging with fans to get this right (although a quick look at the sales of the AFD LNL will tell them that....)!

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

Dunno mate - I know MetallicA are often used as the example but it’s a good example. I have paid about between £170 and £220 for each of the 4 Deluxe Boxsets and they are a simple ‘clam’ box and filled with cds, DVDs, vinyl, tapes, books and the odd trinket (patch/badges).

I think they are all super value for money and if the UYI box looked like that, I’d be happy.

Im sure the record company were the ones to push the trinkets last time - by the sounds of it they have heard he feedback and are properly engaging with fans to get this right (although a quick look at the sales of the AFD LNL will tell them that....)!

Do you own a locked and loaded ?

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Do you own a locked and loaded ?

Yup.....got it at a good price (£300 or so although that was using vouchers/getting a bit of a refund as one of the vinyl had the smallest scratch on the cover). 👍

Edited by DTJ80

I thought about some names for the boxset:

- "Wall of Illusions"
- "Garden of Illusions"
- "A Box of Illusions"
- "The Illusions Incident"
- "Loaded Illusions"
- "Dead!"
- "The end of an era" box
- "Look at your Illusions"
- "Failure to communicate"

I'm sure they will come up with better ones though. Mine sound more like bootleg titles lol

Edited by Propaganda

38 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

I thought about some names for the boxset:

- "Wall of Illusions"
- "Garden of Illusions"
- "A Box of Illusions"
- "The Illusions Incident"
- "Loaded Illusions"
- "Dead!"
- "The end of an era" box
- "Look at your Illusions"
- "Failure to communicate"

I'm sure they will come up with better ones though. Mine sound more like bootleg titles lol

If it is full of pointless trinkets marketed in a way that makes you think you cannot live without it then it'll be "Useless Illusions".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

If it is full of pointless trinkets marketed in a way that makes you think you cannot live without it then it'll be "Useless Illusions".

You'll probably get the trinkets...Rings posters, pics, key chains and what not, but it will have the good stuff too. I'm confident that this will be cool! I think we'll get some demos and all the good stuff we want.

4 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

You'll probably get the trinkets...Rings posters, pics, key chains and what not, but it will have the good stuff too. I'm confident that this will be cool! I think we'll get some demos and all the good stuff we want.

Yeah there’s a lot more professionally-recorded audio and video from the UYI era than there is from the AFD era. Also, unlike the AFD stuff, the band actually OWNS most of the vault stuff from the UYI time period.

For more AFD stuff, they would’ve had to work with Canter (who they don’t get along with right now for whatever reason), or any channel that professionally filmed them at the time like mtv, Fox, etc. They don’t really have that excuse this time around, so hopefully that means we’ll get more shit this time!

And don’t get me wrong, the AFD boxset was pretty decent, given the circumstances mentioned above. I just hope they take this opportunity to make something even better now, is all.

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah there’s a lot more professionally-recorded audio and video from the UYI era than there is from the AFD era. Also, unlike the AFD stuff, the band actually OWNS most of the vault stuff from the UYI time period.

For more AFD stuff, they would’ve had to work with Canter (who they don’t get along with right now for whatever reason), or any channel that professionally filmed them at the time like mtv, Fox, etc. They don’t really have that excuse this time around, so hopefully that means we’ll get more shit this time!

And don’t get me wrong, the AFD boxset was pretty decent, given the circumstances mentioned above. I just hope they take this opportunity to make something even better now, is all.

They either pull off a lazy effort, with just the remastered illusion albums, 1 cd of demos, unreleased and released, making the fuckin videos and some rings and gimmicks.

Or they pull out all the stops and give us like 3 cds of unreleased, alternate mixes and demos, the cd remasters, some live shows or live tracks, documentary from that time, Blu ray of the remaster, making the fuckin videos (which honestly I would pass), and maybe a physical tape or two.

I'm inclined to think that this boxset will be more appealing than the Appetite box, because now they will have better feedback from the fans. So i'm confident we'll get something good.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Propaganda said:

They either pull off a lazy effort, with just the remastered illusion albums, 1 cd of demos, unreleased and released, making the fuckin videos and some rings and gimmicks.

Or they pull out all the stops and give us like 3 cds of unreleased, alternate mixes and demos, the cd remasters, some live shows or live tracks, documentary from that time, Blu ray of the remaster, making the fuckin videos (which honestly I would pass), and maybe a physical tape or two.

I'm inclined to think that this boxset will be more appealing than the Appetite box, because now they will have better feedback from the fans. So i'm confident we'll get something good.

Not only do they have feedback from the AFD box, but I think they'll have to make it more interesting since the UYI albums ultimately aren't as mainstream as AFD.

• Like 2