Axl's future singing capability

Axl's future singing capability  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If they cut it down to just the hits they "have to play" and threw in some new stuff and deep cuts, Axl could still put on a relatively great show.

Welcome To The Jungle
Sweet Child O' Mine
Paradise City
Mr. Brownstone
Nightrain
You Could Be Mine
November Rain
Live And Let Die
Knockin' On Heavens Door
--------------------
It's So Easy
Pretty Tied Up
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Double Talkin' Jive
Down On The Farm
You Ain't The First
Patience
Wichita Lineman
The Seeker

Add 2-3 new songs and a couple Duff songs, and it's about the same length as their last shows. Maybe rotate Chinese Democracy, Slither, Shadow Of Your Love, Don't Cry or You're Crazy into the set when they feel like it, but don't play them just for the sake of "playing a 3 hour show".

I really think by now we can get rid of the covers. The only cover song axl could and should sing is off TSI. So my setlist woukd be,

Welcome To The Jungle
ISE

Nightrain
Mr. Brownstone
Live and let die

KOHD
SCOM
November Rain
--------------------
Pretty Tied Up
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Double Talkin' Jive

Black Leather
Dust N Bones ( Duff vocals)

New Rose (duff vocals)
Patience

YCBM

Paradise City

Rotate, Mm, OTGM, Dont Cry , Yesterdays, Estranged  CD, maybe introduce TWAT.

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

Jon Bon Jovi had time off from touring due to Covid, and it seems like he’s regained some of his voice back. And he seemed to have lost all range in his singing. 

Who knows, maybe with GN’R’s lack of touring, Axl has regained some of his voice back too. 

Less touring is the only way to go. 

Having said that.....the shows at the beginning of tours are always pretty ropey, but that is probably to do with a lack of rehearsal and practice more than anything. I imagine Bon Jovi has been keeping busy during lockdown so keeping things in check. 

11 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I don't believe the "preserve his voice" argument anymore. Preserving for what? The new album? 

To me I'd rather have a few shows that were very good than endless amounts of shows that aren't. So 'preserve his voice' in terms of that really. Either do less shows and make the ones you do really good, or knock it on the head and leave it in the last now. I'm of the view there isn't a new album, nor will there be, so that's not really an issue. 

Edited by allwaystired

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

Jon Bon Jovi had time off from touring due to Covid, and it seems like he’s regained some of his voice back. And he seemed to have lost all range in his singing. 

Who knows, maybe with GN’R’s lack of touring, Axl has regained some of his voice back too. 

Yeah, but he was in the studio and regularly singing for livestreams etc. Axl is probably sitting on his ass... and if Axl is doing that right now, fair enough! just as long as he comes back to touring with a well rested and great sounding voice. Anything less than good/great is a waste of time in my opinion. For Clarification 2016 was good, with shades of great (IMO).

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, but he was in the studio and regularly singing for livestreams etc. Axl is probably sitting on his ass... and if Axl is doing that right now, fair enough! just as long as he comes back to touring with a well rested and great sounding voice. Anything less than good/great is a waste of time in my opinion. For Clarification 2016 was good, with shades of great (IMO).

Yeah- what you want to do in your spare time is up to you. But the moment you start charging mega-bucks to see it, you'd better be on it. 

The way the first few shows of the legs have been used as onstage warmups is pretty shameful to be honest. There's no way fans should be talking about 'avoiding the first gigs' as they do here as if it's normal. When you're touring at that level and those prices you iron out all the problems in private. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah- what you want to do in your spare time is up to you. But the moment you start charging mega-bucks to see it, you'd better be on it. 

The way the first few shows of the legs have been used as onstage warmups is pretty shameful to be honest. There's no way fans should be talking about 'avoiding the first gigs' as they do here as if it's normal. When you're touring at that level and those prices you iron out all the problems in private. 

What a crazy idea you suggest! rehearsal??? WITH THE SINGER????🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If they cut it down to just the hits they "have to play" and threw in some new stuff and deep cuts, Axl could still put on a relatively great show.

Welcome To The Jungle
Sweet Child O' Mine
Paradise City
Mr. Brownstone
Nightrain
You Could Be Mine
November Rain
Live And Let Die
Knockin' On Heavens Door
--------------------
It's So Easy
Pretty Tied Up
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Double Talkin' Jive
Down On The Farm
You Ain't The First
Patience
Wichita Lineman
The Seeker

Add 2-3 new songs and a couple Duff songs, and it's about the same length as their last shows. Maybe rotate Chinese Democracy, Slither, Shadow Of Your Love, Don't Cry or You're Crazy into the set when they feel like it, but don't play them just for the sake of "playing a 3 hour show".

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

To me I'd rather have a few shows that were very good than endless amounts of shows that aren't. So 'preserve his voice' in terms of that really. Either do less shows and make the ones you do really good, or knock it on the head and leave it in the last now. I'm of the view there isn't a new album, nor will there be, so that's not really an issue. 

A combination of these two is probably the way to go. A sensible setlist (although I’d want RQ as it’s my favourite 😂) and less gigs to allow more recuperating....a ‘quality over quantity’ approach. They have toured the world many times over and earnt massive cash....now go forward and protect the legacy of the band and ‘get smart’.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

A combination of these two is probably the way to go. A sensible setlist (although I’d want RQ as it’s my favourite 😂) and less gigs to allow more recuperating....a ‘quality over quantity’ approach. They have toured the world many times over and earnt massive cash....now go forward and protect the legacy of the band and ‘get smart’.

Looking at their current plans (tour, tour and.....announce another tour) for 2021 that doesn't seem on the agenda. Total burnout does though. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really think by now we can get rid of the covers. The only cover song axl could and should sing is off TSI. So my setlist woukd be,

Welcome To The Jungle
ISE

Nightrain
Mr. Brownstone
Live and let die

KOHD
SCOM
November Rain
--------------------
Pretty Tied Up
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Double Talkin' Jive

Black Leather
Dust N Bones ( Duff vocals)

New Rose (duff vocals)
Patience

YCBM

Paradise City

Rotate, Mm, OTGM, Dont Cry , Yesterdays, Estranged  CD, maybe introduce TWAT.

Drop the other covers too. Live and let die, Knocking on heavens door, black leather and attitude.

Have a concert with guns tunes only. Bring back songs like otgm and if he can do it my Michelle and a few more illusions goodies.

Add a couple of Chinese tunes and maybe just maybe a few new songs 

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Looking at their current plans (tour, tour and.....announce another tour) for 2021 that doesn't seem on the agenda. Total burnout does though. 

Even the casual fans won't be continuing to see the same songs over and over.

They will need to release something to keep going and attract new fans to the band

19 minutes ago, vloors said:

Drop the other covers too. Live and let die, Knocking on heavens door, black leather and attitude.

Have a concert with guns tunes only. Bring back songs like otgm and if he can do it my Michelle and a few more illusions goodies.

Add a couple of Chinese tunes and maybe just maybe a few new songs 

Even the casual fans won't be continuing to see the same songs over and over.

They will need to release something to keep going and attract new fans to the band

I'm torn on that one. Many of the casual fans have ticked the GNR box and moved on to something else, undoubtedly. They won't pay again. 

But on the other hand, I think there are probably enough people who will trot out over and over and over to hear the same songs for the rest of their lives as to make touring still profitable. Not stadiums of course, but I think they could carry on filling Arenas with nostalgia-hounds for a good long time. My prediction is that they will too- and as the venues get smaller, the tickets will get more expensive to compensate. 

It'll be a sad slog if they do that, but I just can't see them putting a halt to touring now. I thought this year would do it.....then they go and announce more dates! I doubt it will be long before we hear of new dates into 2022. 

As ever (and what should be the mantra on here) I hope they prove me wrong. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 5:38 AM, jamillos said:

He is not really running around any more, is he… It’s as already said here: the song choice, plus proper gap (rest) like before 2016 (which is happening right now). He wrecked his vocal cords with the Australians, that’s the problem. In any case – and as usual – it’s difficult with Guns: one of the reasons why they’re so unique and can’t really be compared with other bands is that movement-wise, they set the bar incredibly high when they were young. Look at any 1991/92 footage, with them constantly moving around and the loose cannon of a frontman running while singing. It was absolutely mind-blowing, it’s an inherent part of their legend etc. But how are they supposed to cope with that now that they’re double the age? 
But certain arrangements undoubtedly need to be done. Exactly as @Gordon Comstock said, there’s no justification in singing stuff like Better, not any more, not like this. It’s just stubbornness and rigidity. 

Oh and one more thing. This may be a bit of a thin ice for me, but I don’t think that those of you speaking about tuning down have fully realized what you’re asking for. His highs are cool, and he can rasp it. His middles are the problem, of course. But tuning down would render him singing the greatest hits in a low voice, which would be weird. And it would draw attention to the problem so much after the 30 years of it having been sung always the same way that it’s better to just leave it out of the playlist. 

Tuning up might be the answer! 

I'd rather I much more to the point set that he can sing. It would be great going to a guns concert and not having to be terrified you're getting one of the many bad voice days "Oh don't go to the opening night" "Don't go until about the 2nd week of touring, he should? be ok by then?", it's all true! but fuck it's a disgrace! 

Those damn Aussies! maybe Brian can sing with GNR, judging from power up, he might do a better job!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'd rather I much more to the point set that he can sing. It would be great going to a guns concert and not having to be terrified you're getting one of the many bad voice days "Oh don't go to the opening night" "Don't go until about the 2nd week of touring, he should? be ok by then?", it's all true! but fuck it's a disgrace! 

Those damn Aussies! maybe Brian can sing with GNR, judging from power up, he might do a better job!

Then he might wreck his voice on some of the higher stuff, and Axl would have to fill in for him... and a vicious circle we'd have! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

Then he might wreck his voice on some of the higher stuff, and Axl would have to fill in for him... and a vicious circle we'd have! 

Then Steven Tyler steps in for Axl, and Sammy Hagar for AC/DC. In Rock royalty we trust!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Axl doing coma and YCBM in the one show doesnt work. Those songs should be rotated around.