North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

17 hours ago, Legendador said:

But don't you think a new record + a new concert format could stir things up?

Yes, because that's what every other band in history does. You release an album, then tour that album live, with a selection of your greatest hits for 1-2 years. then go back into the studio write a new one and repeat. It's a tried and trusted system! GnR are just lazy amateurs. 

Being in the UK and London, it is highly unlikely there will be gigs in May/June. I think 2021 is possible, but september/october seems more likely. Vaccine should be in over 2/3rds of population by then, meaning chances of transmission are incredibly low. Remember, it's not the deaths they're particularly bothered about stopping in the UK, it's making sure that the health services are not overrun because of mass infection and hospitalisation, and that businesses can be open and run as normal.

Besides, when GnR toured in 2017 everyone I knew who had a slight interest in the band (14/15 people) bought tickets. This time round, no one is going. Download festival was packed in 2018 for GnR, this time round there's little interest. People underestimate the value of new music. Sure it's unlikely to be a hit like appetite, but it reminds people that GnR are a band, it gives casual fans an excuse to go back to a live show, it puts them back in the social zeitgeist. Look at the ACDC release as an example. GnR will always be able to tour arenas in most parts of the world without releasing another note, but stadiums and relevance are non existent at this point without a new release.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

But maybe the people you hang about with would not like Guns n Roses anyway, I have experienced the opposite...

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's irrelevant is my point. It's bubble stuff that sometimes fools us into thinking GNR are more popular than they are. 

Plenty of people "like" Guns N Roses. They have millions of casual fans. However, the casual fans only wanted to see Axl & Slash on the same stage. They've already seen that, sometimes several times in big markets. 

GN'R have exhausted the casual market for ticket sales. Massive amounts of people aren't going to pay to see the same show again, which was proven by embarrassingly low pre pandemic ticket sales. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Plenty of people "like" Guns N Roses. They have millions of casual fans. However, the casual fans only wanted to see Axl & Slash on the same stage. They've already seen that, sometimes several times in big markets. 

GN'R have exhausted the casual market for ticket sales. Massive amounts of people aren't going to pay to see the same show again, which was proven by embarrassingly low pre pandemic ticket sales. 

Yeah, that's what I mean really.

There's a huge difference between saying "hey Google, play 'November Rain'" and actually being a 'big fan' I'd say too. But there are certainly enough 'big fans' to give GNR a healthy future.....if they'd acknowledge this to be the case, rather than seemingly wanting to jettison these people in favour of those on the casual market that proved lucrative for a very finite amount of time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It really is the same show, too. It didn’t used to other me until I was watching U2 DVD the other night night. U2 pretty much play to casuals at this point, but they produce new music and have a new tech savy stage set up for every tour. GNR have been essentially using the same stage since UYI. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It really is the same show, too. It didn’t used to other me until I was watching U2 DVD the other night night. U2 pretty much play to casuals at this point, but they produce new music and have a new tech savy stage set up for every tour. GNR have been essentially using the same stage since UYI. 

I went to see U2 in their last tour, and I'm not that much of a fan....but to be honest I was impressed how LITTLE they played for casuals. There were a few hits in there, but a lot of new stuff, lesser played older stuff etc.

They managed to play barely any of the U2 songs I like....but I was absolutely fine with that as it meant the show didn't seem 'by numbers'. Made me wish I was a bigger fan of theirs to be honest!

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 5:51 PM, swishtz said:

Ok, OK! Your source is a Google Search that led to a "very well-known" local entertainment website? LMFAO

At least search for the Harvad Study saying you're completely wrong.

From my end here, I'm done! Peace.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:37 PM, JimiRose said:

Yes, because that's what every other band in history does. You release an album, then tour that album live, with a selection of your greatest hits for 1-2 years. then go back into the studio write a new one and repeat. It's a tried and trusted system! GnR are just lazy amateurs. 

Maybe you overestimate though how many casuals actually want new songs. How many casuals do want to pay a shit load for a ticket to go to a show that features 5 songs they don't know. Casuals do not flock to check out new albums. To many of those casuals new songs are bathroom/bar breaks as, let's face it, the likelyhood that those songs really stand up with the classics, is rather slim at this point. So really, the ones clamoring for new songs are the die hards. Not the casuals.

7 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Maybe you overestimate though how many casuals actually want new songs. How many casuals do want to pay a shit load for a ticket to go to a show that features 5 songs they don't know. Casuals do not flock to check out new albums. To many of those casuals new songs are bathroom/bar breaks as, let's face it, the likelyhood that those songs really stand up with the classics, is rather slim at this point. So really, the ones clamoring for new songs are the die hards. Not the casuals.

Well, but by your rationale why did Metallica released anything after the Black Album, or Ozzy after No More Tears?

It does not make sense! They don't release anything because they don't want to dilute the legacy! If Chinese Democracy was as a commercial success as at least Lies / The Illusions we would have at least 2 to 3 records already!

Chinese Democracy < than Teh Spaghetti Incident.

Now imagine if they release another commercial flop? There's no more time left  to fully reinvent themselves like Metallica did after Load and Reload or even Lulu.

There's no time left (they are older than The Rolling Stones when they released Voodo Lounge, or Aerosmith when they released Honkin' on Bobo) and the 2021 casuals are the ones ruling what's next.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

When all is said and done (…), all they can/should do is release a new record, incorporate the new tracks into the live playlist (+ Axl to heal his throat), release some videos etc., and hope for the best. Yes, they’ve pissed many opportunities away with their timing and secrecy and bad management and all that shit. But they need to release and play new music plus cater to the older fans as well. And since it wasn’t a problem at the UYI Tour and neither during the CD era, it shouldn’t be a problem now either. We just overthink it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

When all is said and done (…), all they can/should do is release a new record, incorporate the new tracks into the live playlist (+ Axl to heal his throat), release some videos etc., and hope for the best. Yes, they’ve pissed many opportunities away with their timing and secrecy and bad management and all that shit. But they need to release and play new music plus cater to the older fans as well. And since it wasn’t a problem at the UYI Tour and neither during the CD era, it shouldn’t be a problem now either. We just overthink it. 

I doubt there would be any videos, other than live performances, they are two expensive and people don't watch them anymore,. About Axl's throat, I know it could be a surprise for you to kow that there's nothing wrong with it. He choses to sing like that for GNR, just listen to all his performances with AC/DC, full on 1992 / 2006 rasp there!

45 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Well, but by your rationale why did Metallica released anything after the Black Album, or Ozzy after No More Tears?

Because they wanted to?? There are artists who actually want to release stuff. That doesn't have anything to do with how a casual will feel. And if you are talking about quality, there are plenty, especially casuals, who only hear the singles if anything, who feel it went all downhill after those mentioned albums. Some would say, the quoted albums are already part of the downwards slope.

Edited by PatrickS77

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Because they wanted to?? There are artists who actually want to release stuff. That doesn't have anything to do with how a casual will feel. And if you are talking about quality, there are plenty, especially casuals, who hear the singles if anything, who feel it went all downhill after those mentioned albums. Some would say, the quoted albums are already part of the downwards slope.

See, so by what your saying, GNR is doing nothing for the hardcore fans, but also nothing for the casuals!

B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

4 minutes ago, Legendador said:

See, so by what your saying, GNR is doing nothing for the hardcore fans, but also nothing for the casuals!

B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

No. What I'm saying is, that casuals wouldn't care too much about new stuff and that you overstate the importance of it and the people who are looking for new stuff are mainly the die hards, who are a minority in the stadiums. Point is, they wouldn't gain too much by actually releasing new stuff, as the majority won't give a shit, unless it's as great as AFD.

Edited by PatrickS77

On 1/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, Legendador said:

Based on what you're saying that? Why do you think we're using hand sanitizers and alchool gel?

Just for the fun of it?

Could be the same reason wearing masks is now pushed, as opposed to discouraged as it was before.

Because it "might" help.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

No. What I'm saying is, that casuals wouldn't care too much about new stuff and that you overstate the importance of it and the people who are looking for new stuff are mainly the die hards, who are a minority in the stadiums. Point is, they wouldn't gain too much by actually releasing new stuff, as the majority won't give a shit, unless it's as great as AFD.

Casual fans dont have any interest in seeing the same show more than once. If they know, they're getting something comepletely new, they'll be more tempted. 

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Could be the same reason wearing masks is now pushed, as opposed to discouraged as it was before.

Because it "might" help.

Oh boy :facepalm:

21 minutes ago, Legendador said:

I doubt there would be any videos, other than live performances, they are two expensive and people don't watch them anymore,. About Axl's throat, I know it could be a surprise for you to kow that there's nothing wrong with it. He choses to sing like that for GNR, just listen to all his performances with AC/DC, full on 1992 / 2006 rasp there!

No, and let's not start this discussion again really. He got audibly worse between 2016 and 2019/20. I blame AC/DC. He can barely sing in the 2019 videos; it's not rasp, just gargling - he definitely doesn't choose that. 

As for the videos, well, again - if others can do it, so should they. After all, they made half a billion in some 2 years...

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

No, and let's not start this discussion again really. He got audibly worse between 2016 and 2019/20. I blame AC/DC. He can barely sing in the 2019 videos; it's not rasp, just gargling - he definitely doesn't choose that. 

As for the videos, well, again - if others can do it, so should they. After all, they made half a billion in some 2 years...

R&B an Hip Hop, POP videos OK, rock videos NOT IN THIS LIFETIME anymore hahaha