The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

10 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

French journalist asking questions American ones should be asking. His answer is terrible too.

I don’t see a problem with his answers though.  Blinken is the Secretary of State, not the Attorney General. The status of Assange is a legal one, not a diplomatic issue at this point. 

The other issue I have here is his assertion that Assange deserves protection under US whistleblower laws.  That’s not how that works. There are specific avenues one takes if one wishes to gain legal protections as a whistleblower. This is the same issue with Snowden.

45 minutes ago, downzy said:

I don’t see a problem with his answers though.  Blinken is the Secretary of State, not the Attorney General. The status of Assange is a legal one, not a diplomatic issue at this point. 

The other issue I have here is his assertion that Assange deserves protection under US whistleblower laws.  That’s not how that works. There are specific avenues one takes if one wishes to gain legal protections as a whistleblower. This is the same issue with Snowden.

The avenues one takes to be a legally protected whistleblower, can you elaborate?

14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The avenues one takes to be a legally protected whistleblower, can you elaborate?

It’s not something I want to spend too much time on an answer (as it can depend on the kind of information and type of employment). You’re better reading the wiki summary and overview:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower_protection_in_the_United_States

One reason why asking about or referencing whistleblower protections with respect to Assange is kind of nonsensical is that he wasn’t an employee of the US government.  The question then becomes whether Assange is guilty of committing a crime if he had no moral or civic responsibility to US law being that he’s a foreign national. US prosecutors feel he is culpable and have hence charged him. He doesn’t get the choice to decide whether he wishes to avoid said charges if he resides in a country with an extradition treaty with the US.  If I were him I would have saved myself a lot of headache and fought the charges in court. This is what Daniel Ellsberg did in the 1970s with respect to the Pentagon Papers.

19 hours ago, downzy said:

He may have misspoke or perhaps there is a different understanding of whistleblower. Assange is a journalist, he should be protected under the first amendment.  

• GNFNR 1

On 7/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, -W.A.R- said:

He may have misspoke or perhaps there is a different understanding of whistleblower. Assange is a journalist, he should be protected under the first amendment.  

The first amendment doesn’t give journalists cart blanche with respect to what they can publish. National security interests are considered if and when the US government can prosecute journalists for illegal dissemination.  The onus is on the government to prove that such a disclosure of top secrete information jeopardized national security.  There is also a question as to whether Assange is actually a journalist, since he doesn’t actually write anything. He just releases raw intelligence devoid of consideration of possible injury or any context to what he’s putting out there.

I’m not stating that the case against Assange is clear or air tight. I think an argument can be made that he should be considered a journalist and the information isn’t damaging enough to national interests when balancing the illegal and terrible shit he revealed. But I don’t think his innocence is as clear cut as his defenders make it out to be. Again, if I were him I would not have fought extradition and taken my case all the way to the Supreme Court. I think his odds are good that he’ll find a judge amendable to his argument. 

10 hours ago, downzy said:

The first amendment doesn’t give journalists cart blanche with respect to what they can publish. National security interests are considered if and when the US government can prosecute journalists for illegal dissemination.  The onus is on the government to prove that such a disclosure of top secrete information jeopardized national security.  There is also a question as to whether Assange is actually a journalist, since he doesn’t actually write anything. He just releases raw intelligence devoid of consideration of possible injury or any context to what he’s putting out there.

All of that was already considered under the Obama administration and they ultimately decided against charging him (albeit not "officially" making a determination). I wouldn't say that they were soft on the issue either, charging 8 people under the Espionage Act. They seemed to understand the ramifications of unprecedentedly charging a publisher.

The Biden administration would be wise to reverse course and drop the charges.

On 7/8/2021 at 1:08 AM, downzy said:

Really great twitter thread on why Trump’s new lawsuits against Facebook and Twitter will get tossed in a heartbeat:

tRump is no dummy. He knows this has as much of a shot in court as his #stopthesteal nonsense. This will allow him to get his base fired up about "MURICA MUH FREEDUMBZ" as he fleeces his idiotic base for millions of dollars once again. tRump 2021: the grift continues. 

USA hollywood douchebags are turning the Christchurch massacre into a movie. Wow. I've heard excerpts from the script and it is an absolute disgrace and in no way represents reality whatsoever. It's written by Americans for Americans it is entirely to do with their bullshit like the gun control debate. The misrepresentation of those depicted is so divorced from reality I'd find it laughable if it didn't fuck me off so much. Hollywood is a cesspool.

I'd still totally nail MTG! She looks a bit like a fella from the neck up but she's pretty tidy otherwise. :lol:  

Edited by Dazey

White House reviewing Section 230 amid efforts to push social media giants to crack down on misinformation

The WH is well over the line to be flagging posts for Facebook and threatening to do something about Section 230. People are being mislead/manipulated about Sec230: Repealing it wont stop censorship, it'll make it allot worse as platforms would be held liable for the dumb shit you post. Nor would it improve the internet in terms of misinformation, it'll destroy it.

It shouldn't be used as a club to get these platforms to crackdown on what the government deems "misinformation" either.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, Dazey said:

I'd still totally nail MTG! She looks a bit like a fella from the neck up but she's pretty tidy otherwise. :lol:  

The keen and insightful political analysis that keeps me coming back to this thread :P 

Daniel Hale gets 4 years for exposing the illegal and immoral drone program that the government was lying about. Certainly troubling signs coming from the Biden DOJ with how they are handling these cases. Doesn't look like a more enlightened view has come from the Trump era and the abuse of the Espionage Act will continue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cuomo is a dead man walking.  What a complete fall from grace when one considers his stature just over a year ago.  

Not sure what it is about New York as a state or city.  

It's not a great place for one's political legacy.  Spitzer, Giuliani, Cuomo, de Blasio, Bloomberg, Pataki.

Not a single leader from New York in the last quarter century has left office in high regard or gone on to bigger and better things politically.

The same could be said about Chicago, save for Obama.  

Must be something to do with the kinds of people are attracted to politics in New York and what it takes to succeed.  

• Like 1