The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

I will be forever grateful to him for the sublime moment of comedy that was Four Seasons Total Landscaping.

Agreed.

I don’t think there has ever been a funnier moment in US Presidential politics than that press conference.  It was a calamity of unforced errors. There were moments I literally had tears when thinking about the moment they realized they couldn’t book the four seasons hotel and instead went with, what they thought, the next best thing: a run down landscaping business situated between a dildo shop and a crematorium.

It was glorious. 

32 minutes ago, downzy said:

Agreed.

I don’t think there has ever been a funnier moment in US Presidential politics than that press conference.  It was a calamity of unforced errors. There were moments I literally had tears when thinking about the moment they realized they couldn’t book the four seasons hotel and instead went with, what they thought, the next best thing: a run down landscaping business situated between a dildo shop and a crematorium.

It was glorious. 

You really can't even make something like that up lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, downzy said:

Agreed.

It was glorious. 

It so elegantly epitomised the Trump presidency in a single event - make an absolutely howling error, and then rather than admit it and try to put it right, double down and claim that "Of course we wanted to hold a press conference in a hitherto unheard-of garden centre rather than a four star hotel".

As @Coma16 says, the best political satirists couldn't have written it. I also remember being in tears laughing.

• Like 1

I don’t often defend Trump, but in the case of hanging Rudy out to dry, I’m all for it.

If your Trump, do you help out the guy who  turned your re-election effort into a complete dumpster fire (moreso than it already was)?   The guy who farted during a Michigan election hearing? Who was such a hot sweaty mess that his hair die was all people could pay attention to.  

Rudy almost made you feel sorry for Trump.

Almost.

He was the perfect person to lead Trump’s legal efforts to overturn the election and I can think of nothing more fitting than for his past efforts to absolutely break him, professionally and financially. 

4 hours ago, downzy said:

I don’t often defend Trump, but in the case of hanging Rudy out to dry, I’m all for it.

If your Trump, do you help out the guy who  turned your re-election effort into a complete dumpster fire (moreso than it already was)?   The guy who farted during a Michigan election hearing? Who was such a hot sweaty mess that his hair die was all people could pay attention to.  

Rudy almost made you feel sorry for Trump.

Almost.

He was the perfect person to lead Trump’s legal efforts to overturn the election and I can think of nothing more fitting than for his past efforts to absolutely break him, professionally and financially. 

Sorry, I don't think Giuliani nor anyone else was the perfect person to overturn the election. There was nothing there and both Trump and Giuliani knew it from day one! That's why all that was left to do was this embarrassing circus. Both of them were nothing but two arrogant shameless sour losers. I don't feel sorry for Giuliani in the least. All they wanted was to steal the election. And turn America into some kind of Nazi Germany. The moment Trump called Georgia's election officials asking to find him 10k votes. It was crystal clear what real intentions they had. I want to see both of them rot in jail

7 hours ago, downzy said:

Agreed.

It was glorious. 

The fact that the election was called for Biden at that exact time too and they heard about it while on stage was just the icing on the cake. :lol: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Padme said:

Sorry, I don't think Giuliani nor anyone else was the perfect person to overturn the election. There was nothing there and both Trump and Giuliani knew it from day one! That's why all that was left to do was this embarrassing circus. Both of them were nothing but two arrogant shameless sour losers. I don't feel sorry for Giuliani in the least. All they wanted was to steal the election. And turn America into some kind of Nazi Germany. The moment Trump called Georgia's election officials asking to find him 10k votes. It was crystal clear what real intentions they had. I want to see both of them rot in jail

When I said Rudy was the perfect person to overturn the election, it was meant in the sense that his acumen matched the absurdity of the endeavour.  He's neither competent neither principled.  His loyalties to Trump and his complete lack of self-awareness were the kind of attributes you want for someone attempting to accomplish something so corrupt, impossible, and stupid.  Better Rudy than someone mildly competent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

When I said Rudy was the perfect person to overturn the election, it was meant in the sense that his acumen matched the absurdity of the endeavour.  He's neither competent neither principled.  His loyalties to Trump and his complete lack of self-awareness were the kind of attributes you want for someone attempting to accomplish something so corrupt, impossible, and stupid.  Better Rudy than someone mildly competent.

The thing I can't fathom is that he's the guy who literally brought down the mob. I mean he can't always have been such a fucking muppet.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

The thing I can't fathom is that he's the guy who literally brought down the mob. I mean he can't always have been such a fucking muppet.

Yeah, it’s really strange.

Maybe old man disease got him.

Maybe his need for fame and being in the national spotlight blinded him.

Or it could be that most of the work to go after the mob was done by his underlings and Rudy took the credit.

There’s a lot of old white dudes who took a turn for the dark side as they got older. Van Morrison, Clapton, David Mamet…

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

That's why I'm so disappointed. He clean New York, not only from the mob. But all crime rates went down huge. New York became a different town. On top of that, he was one the 9/11 heroes. He became Amarica's Mayor. What the hell happened to him?

:cry::no:

On 8/9/2021 at 4:37 PM, downzy said:

Poor Rudy.

Suspended from practicing law, on the brink of bankruptcy, a laughing stock, the biggest target in Borat 2, and now hung out to dry by the man he worked so hard for.

His kids must be proud. 

Considering the fact that he had a half decent reputation among most Americans (prior) to his association with Trump....yeah, I would consider it a pretty big "fall from grace". 

6 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

How do you feel about Cuomo resigning? 

Hey you're baaaack!!! :headbang:

How I feel about Cuomo?  Too bad the truth didn't come a lot earlier. It seems he was some kind of Jekyll and Hyde. Can he still look at his daughters and his sisters in the eyes? :no:

Not the US government is sending in 3000 troops to help Afganastan fight against the Taliban who have almost taken over every city except two there.

The US government is saying the Afgan troops have no trust in their government so they are not fighting back to keep their country. 

Really? I don't believe this at all. 

I can't believe that after 20 years in that country fighting it took the Taliban about 2 weeks to get all those cities back again. What the fuck was it all for? You know everyone knew what would happen once the US and it's allies left. It's Vietnam all over again.

I want our troops home safe, but it is costing innocent lives again. We have to do better than this. I don't have the answer but it seems to me these Taliban have better brains and weapons to take over a country in a few weeks. What will stop them from doing whatever the hell they want with those people including the government and the army? What a shame and a mess!

14 hours ago, Padme said:

Hey you're baaaack!!! :headbang:

How I feel about Cuomo?  Too bad the truth didn't come a lot earlier. It seems he was some kind of Jekyll and Hyde. Can he still look at his daughters and his sisters in the eyes? :no:

Another man who hasn't realized it's not 1950 anymore. I understand you were born in another decade where men did whatever they hell they wanted to do, but you live in this time now and you should have changed your nasty ways. He deserves what he gets! 

And I'm Italian decent and my family members didn't go around touching strangers faces. That's not an excuse to touch anyone. He knew what he was doing and if he's that much of a stupid moron, you get what you get!

His mother should be ashamed. 

22 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I want our troops home safe

We can't have it both ways. I guess it is damn if you do, damn if you don't

Right now with the pamdemic, the U.S. can't afford to spend billions going to war in Afghanistan, Syria or elsewhere. There are other priorities as well, like infrastructure or climate change. 

The US dropped over $80 billion to build up Afghan forces.  What a waste.

The utter collapse of Afghan forces in such a short period of time underscores why staying was useless. If $80 billion couldn’t solve the problem, nothing would at this point. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, downzy said:

The utter collapse of Afghan forces in such a short period of time underscores why staying was useless. If $80 billion couldn’t solve the problem, nothing would at this point. 

I have a few questions. Those Afghan forces are made of what exactly? I mean militia? Afghan opposition members? Mercenaries? I have no idea. They look very amature.  What kind of traning they got by the U.S. forces? Why the Taliban wasn't under better surveillance by the Afghan government, C.I.A. or somebody? Where the Taliban got their weapons, planning, strategy and everything? 

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Afghan president has fled. Kabul is now surrounded. US embassy in the process of being shuttered and abandoned. 

Just read this today. What the hell? All this was about trying to make a good government for the Afghan people and both the President and VP have fled the country? All those lives lost for what?

Now everyone is saying this was another Vietnam and this country could never sustain a democratic government, so why exactly did the US and it's allies spend over 20 years there?

The Dallas morning paper had pictures of the women and children trying to flee the country. My heart breaks for these people because it seems they have suffered forever. I've seen pictures of the Taliban marching into the cities. What I want to know is who's taking these pictures and why can't someone kick their ass before they march in?

And I want to know too how the US trained the Afghan solderiers when it seems they don't have the capacity to stop the Taliban from doing whatever the hell they want and how did they get all the fire power?

Governments play politics and it's the regular people who suffer. How can you in all good faith leave all those people behind when you know they can't help themselves? And why are the other Muslim countries standing by while this happens?

What a horrible world we live in!  And I can only imagine the US soldiers and the allied forces leaving and how they must feel?

12 hours ago, downzy said:

I agree. guess money can't buy everything and now the Afghan people are finding out the hard way.  

But I'm sure other people got tons of money off this war and the deaths of many too.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

What a horrible world we live in!  And I can only imagine the US soldiers and the allied forces leaving and how they must feel?

The troops can't stay there forever. At some point they needed to go back home anyway. The problem was that they didn't see this one coming. It is bizarre, to say the least, that in a few days it was all gone. The U.S. needs to investigate what went so wrong

I guess they U.S. should've left the region after Bin Laden was killed

20 minutes ago, Padme said:

The troops can't stay there forever. At some point they needed to go back home anyway. The problem was that they didn't see this one coming. It is bizarre, to say the least, that in a few days it was all gone. The U.S. needs to investigate what went so wrong

I guess they U.S. should've left the region after Bin Laden was killed

At the end of the day there were only ever two ways for this to play out. Either the US and its allies stayed permanently to keep the place out of Taliban hands or they pulled out and hand the place over to the Taliban. There never was a scenario where the Afghan government and army would take over full control and if they're not willing to fight for their country this is the only possible outcome.

This is the first time that I've been truly disappointed in the Biden administration. They haven't been perfect. None are. But the exit strategy seemed to consist of rounding up our troops and leaving. There are interpreters and others who put themselves at risk by helping us who seem to have been simply left to fend for themselves. It terrible for them and sends a bad message going forward about helping the U.S. in similar situations. I understand the reasons for leaving and I admittedly have no clue why we've even been there so long, but the actual exit should have been handled so much better than it has been.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

At the end of the day there were only ever two ways for this to play out. Either the US and its allies stayed permanently to keep the place out of Taliban hands or they pulled out and hand the place over to the Taliban. There never was a scenario where the Afghan government and army would take over full control and if they're not willing to fight for their country this is the only possible outcome.

I agree. The U.S. should've stayed for 20 years. They should've never wasted time and money traning people. How come they never figured out it was all useless?

The former Soviet Union went through that back in the 80s