The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

21 minutes ago, downzy said:

The old thread on U.S. politics and elections had become too large to keep active.

Please use this thread to discuss any and all U.S. politics and election related issues.

1560088779_ScreenShot2021-01-13at4_40_29PM.png.f22825ac6cf9abfd69ae2398dedb1cfa.png

I'm forced to ask the question: is God still coming to save the "grab em by the pussy" guy? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just some trivia. I'm glad one of the 10 republicans who joined democrats was Fred Upton. Some people may not know this. He is the uncle of model Kate Upton. I'm assuming everyone knows who she is.

P.S. Mc Connell better get his shit together this time

46 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Nope. They still need to get 17 Republicans to cross they aisle so it's a big ask.

I know admittedly little about US politics but you'd think judgement should be on a simple guilty v innocent. Whatever party you are a member of should not mean a vote in a particular direction. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm forced to ask the question: is God still coming to save the "grab em by the pussy" guy? 

You got me. 

But then again, I’m not that familiar about God’s plans like some other members.  

52 minutes ago, Graeme said:

In this thread, can Dazey still make the 'quoted for posterity' compilation extravaganza when Trump officially ceases to be President?

We’ll make that happen for sure.

:headbang:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Nope. They still need to get 17 Republicans to cross they aisle so it's a big ask.

They may not. It’s only 2/3 of the members present.

If some Republicans were to not attend to vote, the threshold would be lowered. Not saying that’s likely, but it could require only 10 Republican Senators to get cross the line if another 10 or so sat it out. 

Wow, who didn’t see this coming?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/after-all-that-donald-trump-told-aides-not-to-pay-rudy-giuliani-for-his-legal-services-wapo?ref=home

Trump stiffing Rudy with his legal expenses.

I wonder if this is the first time this has happened?  I mean, how could Rudy know that this incredibly unforeseen circumstance was in the cards? 

Honestly, if there was one “lawyer” who deserves to be stiffed by Donald Trump, Rudy is it.

😂😂😂

14 hours ago, downzy said:

They may not. It’s only 2/3 of the members present.

If some Republicans were to not attend to vote, the threshold would be lowered. Not saying that’s likely, but it could require only 10 Republican Senators to get cross the line if another 10 or so sat it out. 

I don't understand why McConnell wants to wait until Biden is sworn in. What is he up to?

44 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't understand why McConnell wants to wait until Biden is sworn in. What is he up to?

Likely he wants to thread the needle of doing something but also doing nothing.

It’s what McConnell does best.

————————————————-

The one downside to Trump’s removal from Twitter is we can’t look back and see all the dumb shit he wrote and throw it back in his and his supporters faces.

Thankfully there’s DJTJ:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

Likely he wants to thread the needle of doing something but also doing nothing.

It’s what McConnell does best.

Well the trial has to take place. If it's not McConnell somebody else must be in charge of the Republican Senators

7 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well the trial has to take place. If it's not McConnell somebody else must be in charge of the Republican Senators

If you held a gun to McConnell’s head he’d tell you he wants Trump convicted. But he represents too many assholes who love Trump so has to play the game. But I think deep down inside he’s mad as fuck for what Trumpers did to his Senate and would to see Trump pay a price. 

Tim Cook (of Apple) in an interview yesterday reminded everyone that the Parler suspension is indeed a suspension - not a ban - and that he hopes that Parler can moderate better and eventually be allowed back on the App store.

Jack Dorsey (of Twitter) tweeted today or yesterday explaining the decision to ban Trump. He also expressed discomfort with what happened to Parler.

I think transparency and discussing these things goes a long way for big tech. Moderates and less informed people can be very easily convinced that the leaders of big tech are a bunch of evil elite boogeymen when they rarely speak in public and talk about these tough decisions. Consider Elon Musk - more public than Bezos or the other two guys, appears much more personable/relatable, sometimes gives his opinions on current happenings, etc - people trust him MUCH more than other big tech leaders.

4 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Tim Cook (of Apple) in an interview yesterday reminded everyone that the Parler suspension is indeed a suspension - not a ban - and that he hopes that Parler can moderate better and eventually be allowed back on the App store.

Jack Dorsey (of Twitter) tweeted today or yesterday explaining the decision to ban Trump. He also expressed discomfort with what happened to Parler.

I think transparency and discussing these things goes a long way for big tech. Moderates and less informed people can be very easily convinced that the leaders of big tech are a bunch of evil elite boogeymen when they rarely speak in public and talk about these tough decisions. Consider Elon Musk - more public than Bezos or the other two guys, appears much more personable/relatable, sometimes gives his opinions on current happenings, etc - people trust him MUCH more than other big tech leaders.

Still too much power in the hands of too few individuals.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Still too much power in the hands of too few individuals.

Absolutely. 

I'll be honest and say that while I get some of the moves in the past week, I'm still totally puzzled by the fact that so many people celebrating what happened. 

Essentially what happened is that the biggest tech giants all decided to just shut down anyone they didn't agree with. 

I happen to disagree with the greater majority of things conservatives believe BUT that doesn't mean that they don't have the right to believe and/or say what they believe. 

I think a lot of people are being VERY short sighted about this grand and sweeping round of censorship simple because they side with the beliefs of the people doing the censoring. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I happen to disagree with the greater majority of things conservatives believe BUT that doesn't mean that they don't have the right to believe and/or say what they believe. 

They still have the right to believe and say what they like. But they can't expect to be allowed to say whatever they like everywhere. Freedom to speech has never been total in that sense. And as a private company, Twitter is free to kick out anyone they want. Don't confuse this with their freedom to speech being violated. 

• Like 3