It Tastes Good, Don't It? (1988 Song)

Opinions on this song? Instrumentally it can hold up with anything they released on AFD, and Slashs solos are badass. Too bad they never recorded it, I think GNR were actually ahead of their time writing "Guns N Roses version of a rap song" (Axls words) at this time, before rap was even mainstream. Who knows how influential this would have been if GNR had recorded it and put on a proper album during that time period? 

I wish there was soundboard recording, but this footage is good enough to hear the song:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bailey15 said:

They used to mix this long in during their live versions of Rocket Queen.

Starts around the 3:30 mark,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVskHfgwwyY

This is where I heard it first, I don't like the extended middle of RQ (these-days) but if they added this in I'd be all for it!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bailey15 said:

They used to mix this long in during their live versions of Rocket Queen.

Starts around the 3:30 mark,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVskHfgwwyY

Oh yeah I forgot about that, feels way less "dangerous" than the real instrumental they wrote, it comes across kinda goofy here IMHO, more like a Chili Peppers thing than GNR. Maybe also because time has moved on and it wasn't the AFD time period anymore.

23 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Oh yeah I forgot about that, feels way less "dangerous" than the real instrumental they wrote, it comes across kinda goofy here IMHO, more like a Chili Peppers thing than GNR. Maybe also because time has moved on and it wasn't the AFD time period anymore.

Yeah this is way more RHCP, the original idea had more to with Faith no more 'We care a lot', this is cool but definitely no snarl.

19 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

A version of this would have been perfect for the AFD boxset. I imagine most non die hard GNR fans have no idea this song exists.

They didn't even bother to put the SCOM demo in that boxset. You know, the song that made them famous. Or the Nightrain demo with the alternate intro. Unless of course they want to milk it again and release the EVEN MORE REMASTERED & LOADED AFD boxset in 2027, which I totally expect from GNRs management.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dean said:

I'd be more curious to hear The Yellow Road to Compton.

Easy E's estate missed out on a big opportunity to release this song. They have the recording. In 2016, you had the GNR reunion tour and the Straight outta Compton movie. I don't get how they missed an opportunity like that. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, axl666 said:

You know, I've been listening to GNR for  long time now, and never heard of this song.

Was this written as part of the Appetite sessions? Or after Appetite and before UYI?

It was actually written when GNR opened for Iron Maiden. GNR was trying to get kicked off the tour and wrote this song as a result. 

Edited by Draguns

18 hours ago, Draguns said:

Easy E's estate missed out on a big opportunity to release this song. They have the recording. In 2016, you had the GNR reunion tour and the Straight outta Compton movie. I don't get how they missed an opportunity like that. 

Axl does not appear on the song. Will just be slash, duff and matt on the instrumental supposedly.

Axl stated it sounded like a bodycount rip off and he was not interested in doing any additional vocals for it.

Cant remember which axl interview it was from

God they were fucking awesome.. Listen to that crowd cheering for the opening band after playing some joke song that they never heard before..

As for the song itself I actually like it... Slash was ripping it up the whole time. It could have used a little more work and the "chorus" got a little repetitive but still cool none the less. Much better than the snippets they did in Rocket Queen during the UYI tour but that was still fun at the time too.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, axl666 said:

You know, I've been listening to GNR for  long time now, and never heard of this song.

Was this written as part of the Appetite sessions? Or after Appetite and before UYI?

I did some research and the other 3 times it was played before the performance above, Axl just raps the intro for like 30 seconds with some random jamming by the band, before they go into Brownstone or Rocket Queen. I found a source that said GNR pulled out of the Iron Maiden tour because Axl blew out his throat singing this song, which must be June 6th, that would be the first time they played it in full, and then they didn't play it again until July 27th. That would make June-July the window of time when the band wrote the music to Axls lyrics, and he already had the lyrics by June 1st.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:12 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

They didn't even bother to put the SCOM demo in that boxset. You know, the song that made them famous. Or the Nightrain demo with the alternate intro. Unless of course they want to milk it again and release the EVEN MORE REMASTERED & LOADED AFD boxset in 2027, which I totally expect from GNRs management.

You wouldn't want them to blow their LOAD all at once?  Sometimes you just gotta savor the flavor?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Steven stops playing near the end and starts again. Steven also continues playing after they've ended. Still it's a fun Jam.

I didn't notice that before, but that's the sort of stuff I used to love from that era - made every show seem spontaneous and somehow more real. Half the time I don't even notice it, its when the stuff is played note perfect it sounds wrong and stands out to me. Ritz is the classic case, epic show with so many imperfections. I went back and watched that Taste's Good ending again -  it seemed between Slash, Duff & Steve no one was really sure when to end the thing, but somehow it all came together and worked - great stuff.