Does anyone care?

Just now, DTJ80 said:

Question - how on earth do you get photos/gifs on here via mobile?!!! I can’t get it to work?!?! 🤣

I usually hold down my finger on the gif and select “open in new tab” then copy the URL. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You are missing the point. No one is criticizing you for not discussing anything positive. You are being criticized for making the same negative comments again and again and again. It is this incessant need to continuously make the same negative point that is annoying, not the fact that you are disappointed. Most of us are disappointed with the state of GN'R, me included, we are just handling it better than you.

Exactly. Even though Prince says there is "Joy in repetition", it actually is not. It's just fucking annoying. At least when it comes to this. ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Many (most) of us are here for the long time friends we've made. We're here for the community, not the joke that GN'R has turned themselves into. 

That and I love the band.. As long as Slash is involved I will check in and cross my fingers to see something interested posted here.. Unfortunately there just never is..  The most exciting thing to happen in the last few years was the Brasil Select that was actually watchable for the most part.. lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You are missing the point. No one is criticizing you for not discussing anything positive. You are being criticized for making the same negative comments again and again and again. It is this incessant need to continuously make the same negative point that is annoying, not the fact that you are disappointed. Most of us are disappointed with the state of GN'R, me included, we are just handling it better than you.

Haha... "handling it better than you"? 

You "positive" folks sure can't seem to figure out how to have a conversation without the continued attempts at insults. 

As far as missing the point goes, tell me again what else GN'R fans have to discuss other than disappointment? 

• Like 1

Just now, THELINESMAN said:

Yes, I care very much. That’s why I’m reading stuff on a GNR fan forum 😂 I’m excited to see if they do anything different during the first show. Excited to see whether Axl pulls out his AC/DC rasp. Excited for potential illusions deep cuts or new songs. I’m hoping the silence hasn’t been for nothing and they’re up to something. I’m an optimist. 

I hope so too. It feels a bit like the last roll of the dice really. If the silence HAS been for nothing, well......that's not going to be a good sign for their future. They could still turn this around though, for sure. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Nearly all of my time with friends and family is focused around music related things. Listening to records, going to concerts, record store trips etc etc. 

So for me, music is always front and center

I'm very envious that your passion for music remains strong and vital for you.  It hasn't been that way for me for quite some time.

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

So many other artists release exciting music all the time. I've got new, great music to listen to every week.

Ten years ago I worked with a guy who told me he lost most of his interest in music.  I didn't think this was possible. 

But ten years later I'm in a similar situation with respect to listening to music.  I'm just so burnt out on everything I've listened to before.  Once in awhile a song will come on in the car that I haven't heard in awhile and I take a moment to enjoy it (Pearl Jam's "Off He Goes" played randomly from my phone during a drive the other day; first song I listened to in full in awhile). 

I just don't have the interest, time, or capacity to spend the time to find new stuff that I find holds up to what came before.  I'm not going to listen to something just because it's new.  I have friends recommend new music to me all the time and almost always I find it uninteresting, derivative, or just unpleasant.  It really feels like few or no one can write songs the way they use to (i.e. melody - hook driven music that doesn't sound like everything else).  I'd rather listen to podcasts and learn about something new than hear two hours of new music in which I find maybe one or two songs I'd listen to again. 

Interest in music for me is now limited to what I can play on the piano.  I've found it far more worthwhile trying to knock out complicated and difficult arrangements to older songs by artists I haven't spent a lot of time with.  

This is why I don't think I'd be as jazzed about a new GNR album as I would have been ten years ago.  I have serious doubts as to whether Axl, Slash and the rest can put out something that sounds fresh and interesting.  Other than State of Grace from the leaks a few years ago, nothing really grabbed me.  I don't really fault Axl, GNR or anyone connected to it for not being able to do what they use to.  Bob Dylan acknowledges that he can no longer write like he use to and doesn't pretend to believe that people would or should care about his new stuff.  Elton John is similar (the last time I saw him in concert he acknowledged he had a new album out but won't be playing anything from it because no one wants to hear it).  GNR can get away with another album or two and hold people's interests since they, despite what they may think, don't really have the back catalogue to support endless touring.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

:lol::lol: HIlarious to see how everyone here comes on this board every fucking day to loudly profess how much they NOT care about this band. I would leave, if I really wouldn't care (which I did for the most part the last 2 months... and I still somewhat care).

I think it's just a difference in how one expresses certain emotions.

As I said before, i think everyone who continues to visit this forum is still curious.  If curiosity = caring, then yeah, people still do care.

But I think one can be both curious and indifferent.  I'd definitely put myself in that group.

Probably not the best thing to admit as an administrator and owner of this forum, but there are months where I don't even visit the GNR section of this forum.  90 percent of my posts the last couple of years have probably been in Anything Goes.  I'll check in once in awhile if/when something pops up, but interest in GNR doesn't factor into my life in any serious way (at least for the time being).  

Just now, downzy said:

I'm very envious that your passion for music remains strong and vital for you.  It hasn't been that way for me for quite some time.

Ten years ago I worked with a guy who told me he lost most of his interest in music.  I didn't think this was possible. 

But ten years later I'm in a similar situation with respect to listening to music.  I'm just so burnt out on everything I've listened to before.  Once in awhile a song will come on in the car that I haven't heard in awhile and I take a moment to enjoy it (Pearl Jam's "Off He Goes" played randomly from my phone during a drive the other day; first song I listened to in full in awhile). 

I just don't have the interest, time, or capacity to spend the time to find new stuff that I find holds up to what came before.  I'm not going to listen to something just because it's new.  I have friends recommend new music to me all the time and almost always I find it uninteresting, derivative, or just unpleasant.  It really feels like few or no one can write songs the way they use to (i.e. melody - hook driven music that doesn't sound like everything else).  I'd rather listen to podcasts and learn about something new than hear two hours of new music in which I find maybe one or two songs I'd listen to again. 

Interest in music for me is now limited to what I can play on the piano.  I've found it far more worthwhile trying to knock out complicated and difficult arrangements to older songs by artists I haven't spent a lot of time with.  

This is why I don't think I'd be as jazzed about a new GNR album as I would have been ten years ago.  I have serious doubts as to whether Axl, Slash and the rest can put out something that sounds fresh and interesting.  Other than State of Grace from the leaks a few years ago, nothing really grabbed me.  I don't really fault Axl, GNR or anyone connected to it for not being able to do what they use to.  Bob Dylan acknowledges that he can no longer write like he use to and doesn't pretend to believe that people would or should care about his new stuff.  Elton John is similar (the last time I saw him in concert he acknowledged he had a new album out but won't be playing anything from it because no one wants to hear it).  GNR can get away with another album or two and hold people's interests since they, despite what they may think, don't really have the back catalogue to support endless touring.  

It's a shame you feel like that, as there really is so much to love now, but if it doesn't connect....well, there's not much that can be done. I find my love of music grows all the time, but maybe not in the same manner it did when I was younger. I spend a LOT of time on music stuff though, and it probably does take more time than it used to. 

I'd say that's very much not true about Dylan. His sets are mainly new material now, and his new albums are superb. To be honest, he's probably an example of a musician who has definitely moved on - if he plays a couple of his older more famous songs live, the arrangement is altered radically. It's all about where he is now, rather than the past with him. A lot of people really, REALLY don't like what he does now, which is fair enough, but his refusal to pander to those people is definitely admirable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

As I said before, i think everyone who continues to visit this forum is still curious.  If curiosity = caring, then yeah, people still do care.

But I think one can be both curious and indifferent.  I'd definitely put myself in that group.

Probably not the best thing to admit as an administrator and owner of this forum, but there are months where I don't even visit the GNR section of this forum.  90 percent of my posts the last couple of years have probably been in Anything Goes.  I'll check in once in awhile if/when something pops up, but interest in GNR doesn't factor into my life in any serious way (at least for the time being).  

Yeah. That makes sense. But to still constantly post in the GNR section, saying the same old shit over and over, not so much and totally puzzles me, as to why and what's the point?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Time to perhaps lead by example on the 'annoying repetition' front? 

See. You get annoyed (hilariously for people calling you out occasionally). And I'm only posting a tiny fraction of what you guys do. Imagine how "we" feel.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. That makes sense. But to still constantly post in the GNR section, saying the same old shit over and over, not so much and totally puzzles me, as to why and what's the point?

To each their own.  If that's what people want to do, and so long as they're not personally attacking anyone, then it's best to put them on your ignore list.

Personally I've not had a lot to say positively about GNR for a couple of years because I just don't find any of it all that interesting.  So I spend most of my time here talking about other things.  All of this, including this forum, serves lately as one distraction from likely more productive pursuits.  But it's nice to check out from time to time.  And we all check out in different ways.  

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd say that's very much not true about Dylan. His sets are mainly new material now, and his new albums are superb. To be honest, he's probably an example of a musician who has definitely moved on - if he plays a couple of his older more famous songs live, the arrangement is altered radically. It's all about where he is now, rather than the past with him. A lot of people really, REALLY don't like what he does now, which is fair enough, but his refusal to pander to those people is definitely admirable. 

Yeah, I stand corrected with respect to Dylan not performing new material.  I kind of conflated him with Elton.  But I do know that he's acknowledged that can't do what he use to do back in the 1960s and 1970s.  I think of artists similar to pro athletes.  Everyone has their prime productive years.  Some longer than others.  But eventually all artists lose whatever it is that made them them with respect to artistic output.  

• Like 1

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

See. You get annoyed (hilariously for people calling you out occasionally). And I'm only posting a tiny fraction of what you guys do. Imagine how "we" feel.

Sorry, not annoyed.....just wondering why you are "saying the same old shit over and over". It "totally puzzles me, as to why and what's the point?"

It's literally ALL you ever post - "why are people posting here, it's the same stuff, why do they come here, people say the same shit" etc etc. 

But, you know, if it makes you happy, go for it. Just don't expect people not to get some laughs out of you by pointing out the glaring irony!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

I've said this before, but... I don't think there's anyone who doesn't understand why people are disappointed, or pissed off, or have a lot of criticism. We get it, I don't think any GnR fan is happy with the lack of new music or news. I don't blame anyone for saying something negative about the band.

However, when you have a group of people who come here every day just to whine and be negative over and over, then it's normal that some people might get tired of it. That's really the only reason why I don't read this section a lot anymore. I'm tired of scrolling through: ''this band is a joke'', ''Axl can't sing'', ''it's just a money grab'', ''they suck now'', and I can go on. Again, people are allowed to say this and to have this opinion, but why come here on a daily basis just to express the same sentiment? Maybe it's time for some of them to do what you do... start posting at the none-GnR sections and take a break from this band.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Sorry, not annoyed.....just wondering why you are "saying the same old shit over and over". It "totally puzzles me, as to why and what's the point?"

It's literally ALL you ever post - "why are people posting here, it's the same stuff, why do they come here, people say the same shit" etc etc. 

But, you know, if it makes you happy, go for it. Just don't expect people not to get some laughs out of you by pointing out the glaring irony!

We have at least two users who posts the same thing over and over regarding how upset they are that others post the same thing over and over. It became hilarious to me eventually, so now it's entertaining lol

Just now, downzy said:

To each their own.  If that's what people want to do, and so long as they're not personally attacking anyone, then it's best to put them on your ignore list.

Personally I've not had a lot to say positively about GNR for a couple of years because I just don't find any of it all that interesting.  So I spend most of my time here talking about other things.  All of this, including this forum, serves lately as one distraction from likely more productive pursuits.  But it's nice to check out from time to time.  And we all check out in different ways.  

Yeah, I stand corrected with respect to Dylan not performing new material.  I kind of conflated him with Elton.  But I do know that he's acknowledged that can't do what he use to do back in the 1960s and 1970s.  I think of artists similar to pro athletes.  Everyone has their prime productive years.  Some longer than others.  But eventually all artists lose whatever it is that made them them with respect to artistic output.  

I'm probably (definitely!) in the minority in that I genuinely prefer Dylan's later years to his earlier. I like the fact he's not really trying to do what he did in the 60s and 70s, the acceptance of his changing voice and style, all that stuff.  

All artists definitely have their 'golden years' for sure. I think the best ones though accept that and move onwards and forwards in different ways, whether certain aspects of the old fanbase like it or not. One things for sure - if Dylan did a 'Greatest Hits' tour and played all the old songs just as they sound on record, he'd sell out everywhere. It would probably be absolutely rotten, but most people would prefer it to what he does now, such is the thirst for the familiarity and nostalgia. Let's not forget, people were furious when he went electric and thought he was finished back then in terms of having fans! 

Taking it back to GNR though.....they absolutely could (in my view) still produce a truly fantastic album. They're all talented and more than capable. 

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

As far as missing the point goes, tell me again what else GN'R fans have to discuss other than disappointment? 

First I have to point out that no one has to discuss anything here. If you don't have anything nice to say, you can just shut up. It is not like there's a quota of posts you have to make every day. 

Secondly, I don't think we fans "have to" discuss anything or anything in particular, and I am certainly not going to be the arbiter on that. I was just pointing out what some people find annoying with your posts, which is the incessant complaining over the same things over and over and over again. It is possible to handle one's disappointment more gracefully, with more stoicism, especially on a fan forum for something as trivial as a rock band.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

We have at least two users who posts the same thing over and over regarding how upset they are that others post the same thing over and over. It became hilarious to me eventually, so now it's entertaining lol

The very definition of irony really. I don't think they bother to read much though, as it really isn't the case anyway that people are posting the same thing over and over. The threads are usually pretty varied and lively debates. 

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yawn. Here we go again, you turning the shit around, trying to deflect from your usual repetitive, broken record bs. I commented on this particular thread. Then I responded to what was said. And it's not "all I ever post". Anyone can read all what I have ever posted. In fact I haven't posted much at all recently. Haven't even been here, as there really is nothing to talk, except the same repetitive bullshit you lot post constantly and I see nothing really has changed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

Yawn. Here we go again, you turning the shit around, trying to deflect from your usual repetitive, broken record bs. I commented on this particular thread. Then I responded to what was said. And it's not "all I ever post". Anyone can read all what I have ever posted. In fact I haven't posted much at all recently. Haven't even been here, as there really is nothing to talk, except the same repetitive bullshit you lot post constantly and I see nothing really has changed.

Well, thanks for popping back and telling us all we talk 'repetitive bullshit' then. We appreciate your comments. See you again soon? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I've said this before, but... I don't think there's anyone who doesn't understand why people are disappointed, or pissed off, or have a lot of criticism. We get it, I don't think any GnR fan is happy with the lack of new music or news. I don't blame anyone for saying something negative about the band.

However, when you have a group of people who come here every day just to whine and be negative over and over, then it's normal that some people might get tired of it. That's really the only reason why I don't read this section a lot anymore. I'm tired of scrolling through: ''this band is a joke'', ''Axl can't sing'', ''it's just a money grab'', ''they suck now'', and I can go on. Again, people are allowed to say this and to have this opinion, but why come here on a daily basis just to express the same sentiment? Maybe it's time for some of them to do what you do... start posting at the none-GnR sections and take a break from this band.

I get the frustration, but is it any different than, say, an online forum talking about the New York Jets right now? 

When things aren't going well, people will want to voice their frustrations.  As I said before, if someone here is becoming repetitive (either way) to the point where it's limiting your enjoyment, the simple solution is to put them on ignore.

Where myself and other staff members draw the line is when those who hold critical views of the band then project them onto other fans who might share their views.  It's one thing to say "Axl can't sing" and another to say "Axl can't sing and you're an idiot if you believe otherwise."

• Like 2

• downzy locked this topic

Going to lock this thread for a little bit to let things cool off.

I'll say this again: if someone is repeatedly posting stuff you find insufferable, put them on ignore.  It's why the forum has this feature.  We welcome debate and discussion here, but if the same conversation is finding its way to every topic, then we should probably move on and ignore those who see things differently.  

• Like 3

• downzy unlocked this topic

Unlocking this thread in the hopes we can move on from the discussion on who is more repetitive.

As I’ve underscored several times now, if you find someone’s posts diminishing your enjoyment of this forum, please put them on ignore.

People care or don’t care for different reasons.  Have respect for the fact that someone’s motivations for liking or criticizing something might be different than your own. 

• Like 2