[NEW ALBUM DISCUSSION THREAD] Gibson Launches Record Label, to Release Slash Album Next Year

Ralphelmo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 2:04 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea the tour seems to be going well. Honestly, if they actually came to my city and tickets were cheap, I'd go see them. Unfortunately it seems like most 'casual fans' are done with the new albums though. SMKC is down to its core niche fan-base, and I can't help but think it's because Myles is clearly the weak link at this point.

No point blaming Myles. I’d say quality control is the weak link at this point. Each passing album feels more and more like a vehicle to get out on the road and have some fun

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 2:08 AM, Majestic Beast said:

Most weak album so far with this combination,like these songs are leftovers from previous albums and just they re-record them,mediocre production too.Already forgot most songs.:max:

I actually kind of agree now after listening to it more. Only a couple songs that are standouts but overall it's nothing compared to WOF and LTD (the mix also plays a part here).

11 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I actually kind of agree now after listening to it more. Only a couple songs that are standouts but overall it's nothing compared to WOF and LTD (the mix also plays a part here).

My opinion hasn't changed. I really like this record. I can listen to it straight through without skipping. I couldn't do it with the first 3 albums. But again. I'm not listening to the album, I listen to the live versions from the studio 60 performance. It's not Slash's best ever effort but it's easy listening and I really dig the 70s vibe. That's because of the "live" feeling I guess. Had they have managed to led the actual album sound like this I'd be very happy. 

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

It’s their best front to back ALBUM, and it’s a lovely dirty mix. 

Love all albums but I’d flip it and say that Elvis’ production made some songs weaker on WOF and LTD. 

AL has the best production, LTD has the worst of the 4

7 hours ago, jemile said:

Elvis’ production made some songs weaker on WOF and LTD. 

Such as?

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

live versions from the studio 60 performance

Even those aren't that good, it still feels like they're in soundcheck mode (esp the last 4 older songs). It's a huge difference from the performances live on the tour.

It's just the songs weren't as well developed as they could've been, there's a lot of repeating elements imo.

54 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Such as?

Even those aren't that good, it still feels like they're in soundcheck mode (esp the last 4 older songs). It's a huge difference from the performances live on the tour.

It's just the songs weren't as well developed as they could've been, there's a lot of repeating elements imo.

I probably listened to the whole performance twice. Actually I listen to the 10 new songs and then repeat my favorites if I've got the time.

But I know where you're coming from.

It lacks the perfect production the previous records had, it's kind of loose and that's exactly what I've kind of missed. They spent more time with structuring the songs before and they came up with better elaborated solos, which of course is an important element on Slash records.

But I love that feeling and I got used to those rushed, knocked out solos. To some extend the spontaneity is rather refreshing like on songs like Whatever Gets You By and April Fool.

And I think Myles is less annoying on this record because most of the time it's him why I have to skip songs on the other albums.

Edited by Free Bird

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Such as?

Some songs are so polished that it almost gets this poppy vibe, the two opening tracks and especially Call of the Wild being good examples. Overall I like all albums but Elvis’ albums could benefit from some of the looseness of AL and 4 for the riffs and general vibe of the song.

I love that Elvis pushed him for solos, some really great solo sections on them, but I miss that raw riff tone. It’s more eq’ing than his actual playing.

Living the Dream also turned up the kick drum and high end even more, 4 is easier on the ears at the same volume.

I like the albums but the idea that WOF and LTD are these elite mixes while 4 is trash is ridiculous. They’re all great in their own way

4 isn’t perfect and may not have the same individual highlights as the others, but I really enjoy it all the way through (the album as it is, not YT).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I probably listened to the whole performance twice. Actually I listen to the 10 new songs and then repeat my favorites if I've got the time.

But I know where you're coming from.

It lacks the perfect production the previous records had, it's kind of loose and that's exactly what I've kind of missed. They spent more time with structuring the songs before and they came up with better elaborated solos, which of course is an important element on Slash records.

But I love that feeling and I got used to those rushed, knocked out solos. To some extend the spontaneity is rather refreshing like on songs like Whatever Gets You By and April Fool.

And I think Myles is less annoying on this record because most of the time it's him why I have to skip songs on the other albums.

Good points, and that spontaneous feel is best on the actual album 😉

• Like 1

Judging by the lack of conversation on these Slash sections, I stand firmly with what I said previously. That this album will sell terribly and be the least recognised Slash album to date. Which is surprising considering Gibson were in charge of this for the first time. Personally I really enjoy the album but I feel this could be the end for SMKC. Can't wait to see them live as they are absolutely killer. But Slash will see that the hype for this band is dying. There's talk of a fifth album which I really hope happens and hope Slash learns from the mistakes of this album. Better production and more time and thought into his solos. Would you be surprised if they called it quits after this tour?

10 minutes ago, skik08 said:

Judging by the lack of conversation on these Slash sections, I stand firmly with what I said previously. That this album will sell terribly and be the least recognised Slash album to date. Which is surprising considering Gibson were in charge of this for the first time. Personally I really enjoy the album but I feel this could be the end for SMKC. Can't wait to see them live as they are absolutely killer. But Slash will see that the hype for this band is dying. There's talk of a fifth album which I really hope happens and hope Slash learns from the mistakes of this album. Better production and more time and thought into his solos. Would you be surprised if they called it quits after this tour?

very surprised. Slash said the next album is already recorded and my guess is he didn't expect the album to sell well.Rock albums don't really sell anymore anyway and the live shows are the main reason this band exists. I don't think he has any intention of calling it quits as SMKC.

That song "Action speaks much louder than words" is just horrible.

Apart from the stupid title it sounds like some kids' first attempt of songwriting, the chorus is just laughable. I really hope the band is done after the next album which will sound exactly like 4.

10 hours ago, jemile said:

I like the albums but the idea that WOF and LTD are these elite mixes while 4 is trash is ridiculous.

No 4 is definitely a trash mix by modern music standards. It's fine for a demo recorded in someone's basement but not up to the level that's expected for a commercial release. During the day at work I'll have my Spotify going and it's usually playing an algorithmic playlist with different rock artists and every time a song from 4 comes one the difference really stands out. 4 is like a kid's first attempt at mixing a record.

4 hours ago, skik08 said:

They're not going to call it quits, they have more tour dates next year then a new album. 

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

very surprised. Slash said the next album is already recorded and my guess is he didn't expect the album to sell well.Rock albums don't really sell anymore anyway and the live shows are the main reason this band exists. I don't think he has any intention of calling it quits as SMKC.

Where did he say it's already recorded?

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

That song "Action speaks much louder than words" is just horrible.

Apart from the stupid title it sounds like some kids' first attempt of songwriting, the chorus is just laughable. I really hope the band is done after the next album which will sound exactly like 4.

Ha, I actually think ASMLTW is very GNR Lies sounding, reminds me of a song like Move To The City.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

one of the video interviews he gave a couple of months ago. He quickly changed the subject after saying it was "done" or something so on second thought he might have meant he already only composed it.

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

one of the video interviews he gave a couple of months ago. He quickly changed the subject after saying it was "done" or something so on second thought he might have meant he already only composed it.

Yeah I think they've just written the songs, recording will be later.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

No 4 is definitely a trash mix by modern music standards. It's fine for a demo recorded in someone's basement but not up to the level that's expected for a commercial release. During the day at work I'll have my Spotify going and it's usually playing an algorithmic playlist with different rock artists and every time a song from 4 comes one the difference really stands out. 4 is like a kid's first attempt at mixing a record.

They're not going to call it quits, they have more tour dates next year then a new album. 

I would like to meet this kid that defies the familiarity bias of modern rock and goes for such crazy mids with honky guitars and rich bass guitar😉

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm talking about the overall mix.

Yeah, ok, this could go on…simply meant that I think a kid would do the Metallica Mix 😉

I really like how the guitars and bass sound, even if it’s a little crowded at times. It is a little loud too overall but not as tiring on the ears as a lot of other modern rock albums. Another one is the sometimes weird panning when they are calling it live in a room. Compared to AL it was more strict left and right channel except for solos. 

Got that “mud” initial reaction from The River is Rising in October but that’s because everything else is scooped. I think it sounds really good on its own as an album, don’t care much for consistency of playlists.

Highlights of the mix:

Start and ending of WGYB solo. Just wow. Guitars cuts as it was, not by creating a frequency Autobahn for it

TPLF verses. Warm fuzzy open classic rock feel

Spirit Love bass

April Fool guitar intro and solo. Honk honk like it’s the 70’s

River and Fill My World feel a little more tidied up as singles. I think 2,4,6 and 8 capture the essence of what they intended.

Could also point to some moments i prefer less, like how C’est la Vie starts out really tight and with great separation and then the chorus is just too crowded like it all bleeds together. So it’s not perfect but overall I like the spontaneous feel of it. 

#eastermorningrant