Axl was suppose to sing Black Hole Sun with Soundgarden

Brandi said in a recent interview, without naming Axl outright, that "someone who is notorious for not showing up" was supposed to perform Black Hole Sun with the surviving members of Soundgarden at the Cornell tribute show, and that said person, in fact, failed to show up, which is when she offered to step up and sing the song with them.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Brandi said in a recent interview, without naming Axl outright, that "someone who is notorious for not showing up" was supposed to perform Black Hole Sun with the surviving members of Soundgarden at the Cornell tribute show, and that said person, in fact, failed to show up, which is when she offered to step up and sing the song with them.

Got it, thanks! 

52 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Well, maybe she was talking about George "no show" Jones.

4 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Can't really think of much other people in the music industry she could be referring to besides Axl. I think it was early 2016 that he pretty much last minute cancelled his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel. I get that it was about the reunion and being secretive, but why book that appearance in the first place?

I sincerely doubt anyone in Soundgarden approached Axl in any way before they added the song to the setlist.

It was a tribute to a departed friend, nothing more.  The actual members of Soundgarden were too shell-shocked by their loss to even be thinking about music in the months, and even YEARS after Chris died.

Just my speculation of course, but Soundgarden effectively didn't exist in the time frame between Chris's death and GNR covering the song.

18 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

I guess that could be the reason how it showed up in Guns' setlist - Axl had learnt it anyway.

Not sure about this one.

- GN'R live debut of BHS - May 27th 2017 (Slane Castle)

- Chris Cornell Tribute show - Jan 16th 2019

I think it would be more a case of Axl being lined up to sing it with Soundgarden as he had performed it with GN'R for over 18 months by the time the tribute show took place.

Edited by CAFC Nick

49 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

(Also....am I the only person that's never fucking heard of Brandi Carlile?  Now Belinda, I know.)

Definitely not just you, I had never heard of her. Wasn't completely sold on her version of BHS either!

Edited by CAFC Nick
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Not sure about this one.

- GN'R live debut of BHS - May 27th 2017 (Slane Castle)

- Chris Cornell Tribute show - Jan 16th 2019

I think it would be more a case of Axl being lined up to sing it with Soundgarden as he had performed it with GN'R for over 18 months by the time the tribute show took place.

Ah, okey. Did not have the timeline clear.

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

I sincerely doubt anyone in Soundgarden approached Axl in any way before they added the song to the setlist.

It was a tribute to a departed friend, nothing more.  The actual members of Soundgarden were too shell-shocked by their loss to even be thinking about music in the months, and even YEARS after Chris died.

Just my speculation of course, but Soundgarden effectively didn't exist in the time frame between Chris's death and GNR covering the song.

Soundgarden definitely didn't ask GNR to cover BHS in 2017 like you said, that was 100% Axl saluting Chris of his own accord. It would have been cool if Axl sang with Soundgarden though... even if he probably would have been crucified "Axls shit, Chris did it better... much better singer" yada, yada! Axl would need to have really knocked it out of the park and I just don't think the song suits his range at all! I'd rather hear him sing Rusty cage, Burden in my hands, fell on dark days or Outshined! Not to mention all the Audioslave stuff like I am the highway which he could have done in that lower mid voice of his! Many better options for Axls range.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

(Also....am I the only person that's never fucking heard of Brandi Carlile?  Now Belinda, I know.)

Might not be your thing but I came across her about 1.5yrs ago, some of her stuff is great! Folk/Americana sort of vibe. Well I can't comment on her latest album but the album before that sounds like that.

9 hours ago, Feibo said:

She also did another Soundgarden song, sounds pretty cool with a woman singing it ijn my opinion:

Dig the cover there that's kind of a homage to the Badmotorfinger cover. On a little bit of a different note, I wonder what Soundgarden songs prime Axl would sound best singing. I could see him doing a lot of the Badmotorfinger songs justice live.