Appetite for Distortion - Marc Canter/Andrew Stockdale/Scooby

Look forward to listening to these tonight, especially the Scooby Doo one. That (and Looney Tunes) really came out of the blue so intrigued to learn more.

Amazing that you managed to secure Josh! Would be great to hear his thoughts/memories from Hard Skool as it’s pretty clear that’s him on the Rough Mixes version.

• GNFNR 1

Marc is a great guy, still hope to visit Canter's one day :)

Do you mind asking Freese about his contribution to the title track of Chinese Democracy? Always been curious as he is listed as the only writer along with Axl.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amir said:

Do you mind asking Freese about his contribution to the title track of Chinese Democracy? Always been curious as he is listed as the only writer along with Axl.

Freese: One of my favorite strange feathers in my cap that I have is that whenever I walk into a room of people and they’re talking about [whispers] Chinese Democracy, just this whole debacle of a record that took 100 years to make and cost a million dollars—I’ll walk into a room full of people and go, “What are you guys talking about?” They go, “Chinese Democracy,” and I raise my hand and go, “I wrote ‘Chinese Democracy,’” because I wrote the music to the song. I didn’t write anything else on the album. I wrote a couple other things that didn’t make it on the album. When I left, there were still another seven or eight years before the album came out. But it always makes me laugh. It’s not like I wrote Track 10 or something; I wrote “Chinese Democracy.” Some people told me I shouldn’t brag about that. Actually, I like that song. And it’s not just because I wrote it; it’s because it’s a really dumb, simple, dirty guitar riff. It’s cool. I think it’s one of the better ones on that record [noisey, August 21, 2014].

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the interviews with Marc and Michael Ryan (haven't listen to the Andrew Stockdale one yet).

I'm looking forward to the interview with Josh Freese. Let's see if and what he has to say about Hard Skool :)

1 hour ago, Amir said:

He also talked about it in a more recent interview (from last year):

Freese: One thing that I really took away from it, that I like - and I always think it's kind of funny when people are discussing 'Chinese Democracy' - this record that supposedly cost so much money, it took so much time: I wrote the title track, I wrote the song 'Chinese Democracy' - I put the music and Axl wrote the lyrics. And so, the one thing I take away from it is like, it's always funny, I walk into a room full of people and I'll go, 'What are you guys talking about?' They'll be like, "We're talking about 'Chinese Democracy.'" I go, "I wrote 'Chinese Democracy.'" I know some people in the room and other people are like, "What the hell is this guy talking about?" "'Not the album, but the title track." I normally rattle off to everyone I hang out with, but I'm not embarrassed by it. I think it's - actually, I like the song, it's just three chords, there's nothing special about it other than that it's just a cool groove and it's kind of dirty and rocking. It's simple, which I like.

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/223764-new-josh-freese-interview-talks-about-gnr-buckethead-cd/

• GNFNR 1

On 10/10/2021 at 3:46 PM, Gambit83 said:

Josh Freese is scheduled for Wednesday!

This is great news @Gambit83!

He's a beast of a drummer. Best one I've ever seen live hands down. I've seen him once with NIN and once with Sting. Freese playing Stewart Copeland's parts on Police songs was pure bliss. If you can ask him anything about how he approaches Copeland's material and how challenging is it to fill those shoes, I'll be very happy.

And I'll be even happier you can get from him any unheard news about one of the most fascinating eras in GNR history 😁

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, Gambit83 said:

FYI Josh Freese is scheduled for Wednesday! I won't bombard him with GN'R questions, but I'll ask a few ;) 

Absolutely bombard him with GNR questions.

Honestly, this tactic of getting GNR members on podcasts and pretending to be interested in their solo career, in the hope that we get more interviews with ex-members has been going on for a decade now.

Ask him all about it.

Ask him what songs Rose brought to the very first session, or if it was all from scratch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

Absolutely bombard him with GNR questions.

Honestly, this tactic of getting GNR members on podcasts and pretending to be interested in their solo career, in the hope that we get more interviews with ex-members has been going on for a decade now.

Ask him all about it.

Ask him what songs Rose brought to the very first session, or if it was all from scratch.

I don't pretend. That "tactic" would only deter people. 

• Like 3

There are some really interesting questions for Freese though.

Mine would revolve around what songs they had (if any) when he came on board.

For Chinese - did he add a riff to some lyrics/melody Axl had or did he literally compose the riff and leave Axl to create a song around it.

Did 'Chinese Decomcracy' as a title/concept exist before that riff?

• Like 2

Honestly I would be so grateful if you can ask Josh if he remembers if Hard Skool was a Slash-era GNR tune or a Chinese era tune!  Because of all the rumors of it being an old school GNR track made for the Jackie Chan movie back in the right-before-the-breakup era of GNR and he may be one of the few who can answer that for us.  He definitely seems, based on previous interviews to be open to GNR questions and this would be thematically appropriate since HS just came out! :headbang:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Honestly I would be so grateful if you can ask Josh if he remembers if Hard Skool was a Slash-era GNR tune or a Chinese era tune!  Because of all the rumors of it being an old school GNR track made for the Jackie Chan movie back in the right-before-the-breakup era of GNR and he may be one of the few who can answer that for us.  He definitely seems, based on previous interviews to be open to GNR questions and this would be thematically appropriate since HS just came out! :headbang:

That's the million dollar question. I'm looking forward to his response and hoping he'll shed some light on this.

Given that the current members, as well as most of the former ones, don't talk, Josh, Tommy and Matt are the only ones who we could get this information from.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He said yes to be on a GNR podcast. You think he would be deterred if he was then asked many questions about GNR? WTF

Not him specifically, but others in my experience. If I had a reputation of asking 98% GNR questions and only asking a few about their current work, maybe I wouldn't have this opportunity in the first place. 

Edited by Gambit83
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1