GN'R mention in new Eddie Vedder interview

Aloha friends.  The only thing that I ever recall Eddie saying about GNR previously was when he made a comment as he took the stage at that disastrous Bridge School Benefit GNR performance when Axl was late and Eddie stepped in to play a short set while they waited on GNR.  I cant remember exactly what he said, but it was something like "if you would have told me when I woke up this morning that I'd be opening for Guns N' Roses, I would have said you're lying".  Never heard anything bad. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Well, Kurt talked shit about the music, too :lol:

I can't even waste my time on [GN'R] because they're so obviously pathetic and untalented. I used to think that everything in the mainstrteam pop world was crap, but now that some underground bands have been signed with majors, I take Guns N' Roses as more of an offense. I have to look into it more: They're really talentless people, and they write crap music, and they're the most popular rock band on the earth right now. I can't believe it.

Haha :lol:, the moment watching Kurt Cobain saying GNR were talentless. What a bitch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Well, Kurt talked shit about the music, too :lol:

I can't even waste my time on [GN'R] because they're so obviously pathetic and untalented. I used to think that everything in the mainstrteam pop world was crap, but now that some underground bands have been signed with majors, I take Guns N' Roses as more of an offense. I have to look into it more: They're really talentless people, and they write crap music, and they're the most popular rock band on the earth right now. I can't believe it.

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Haha :lol:, the moment watching Kurt Cobain saying GNR were talentless. What a bitch.

I know right? I mean talented songwriter for sure, but Slash Gilby Izzy etc could play circles around him. Pound for pound GnR was far stronger than Nirvana on a musicianship level. The only person who would've been able to hang with them on that level is Dave, although I think he really came into his own with his abilities later on once FF got going.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I know right? I mean talented songwriter for sure, but Slash Gilby Izzy etc could play circles around him. Pound for pound GnR was far stronger than Nirvana on a musicianship level. The only person who would've been able to hang with them on that level is Dave, although I think he really came into his own with his abilities later on once FF got going.

To be fair, Krist is a pretty good musician and bass player. As for Kurt's guitar skills, sure, he was no Slash, but that's not what he aspired to be, his philosophy was to keep it as simple as possible with his music and it worked for them. Many kids around the world picked up a guitar because of Kurt's influence and realized you don't have to be some technical wizard like those 80's guitar shredders to play something cool on guitar.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, EvanG said:

To be fair, Krist is a pretty good musician and bass player. As for Kurt's guitar skills, sure, he was no Slash, but that's not what he aspired to be, his philosophy was to keep it as simple as possible with his music and it worked for them. Many kids around the world picked up a guitar because of Kurt's influence and realized you don't have to be some technical wizard like those 80's guitar shredders to play something cool on guitar.

Yes, without a doubt. But with that statement he makes himself look like an idiot...

Kurt Cobain was just an ornery guy in general back then. I believe his real problem was mainly with Axl who was everything he despised as a frontman and as a person. He judged Axl a bit too harshly but to be fair to Kurt, Axl was at the peak of his difficult behavior in that era so it was easy to dislike him. Kurt also dismissed Pearl Jam as well but later softened up on them and Eddie in particular.

Edited by mystery

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Yes, without a doubt. But with that statement he makes himself look like an idiot...

Oh, I don't disagree, like I said earlier, the guy bitched a lot, and sometimes he made a lot of sense and at other times he made a lot of nonsensical arguments.

20 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

And yes, I absolutely stand by his hypocrisy regarding his divorce.  Not because of the fact that he got divorced.  People do it all the time.  But the fact that he went and did every stereotypical cliche thing that a "rock star" does after publicly denying he'd ever do that:  he replaced his longtime wife with a younger woman to have kids with, and after making fun of the vapidness of beautiful women he married a fashion model.

"Replaced his longtime wife with a younger woman to have kids with" - reads like Brett from Alternative Nation writing an unauthorized biography of Eddie Vedder, all due respect

Edited by WhazUp
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Just my take on it, but I sincerely doubt if you'd asked Eddie Vedders opinion of GN'R in 87 through 92 that he would have said that. 

Yeah, you're probably right, but I think had Eddie disparaged GNR back then, he'd have been lying to himself. I think he's being honest about it now, at least, when he says they were different than their contemporaries.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WhazUp said:

"Replaced his longtime wife with a younger woman to have kids with" - reads like Brett from Alternative Nation writing an unauthorized biography of Eddie Vedder, all due respect

I don't understand the reference in any way but I stand by what I said.

Everyone has a right to be happy.  I'm sure he's far happier with his wife and daughters than he was with Beth.

But any long time, hardcore PJ fanatic will tell you he made no secret about how much he loved her and wanted nothing to do with other women.  On the same album where he calls models "skinny little bitches" he also sings "Small my table, it seats just two- ME and BETH!"  And I don't think old school fans from the 90s are ever gonna hear Oceans live again without hearing the "oooooohh Beethhh" outro in their heads.

But shit happens and marriages fall apart.  The only reason I call Vedder out on it is cause he was one of the single loudest mouthed, respect all women, "no means no"  Gloriam Steinhem is my mentor, pro-choice keep your fucking old white man hands off women's bodies' rights sanctimonious MALE FEMINIST of all time.

So for him to do an about face when his own marriage falls apart and immediately date a woman who's a MODEL....remember them, the skinny little bitches who had no time for before?  He just smacks of hypocrisy.

Then again, a guy worth like $300,000,000 preaching to all of us about climate change and voting and all that is the same old shit too.  He was back at Lollapalooza 92promising to leave the country if the Republicans won the election.

He went on SNL right after Kurt died and sang in front of millions of people how he hates "resents nepotism".....now his two talentless daughters are singing tracks all over his music.

So did he just get old and lose that rebellious fire that was once in all of us, or was he just plain full of shit all along?

Clearly the guy is in a healthy, happy place, so good for him.  But in his case, considering his extensive background in theater before music, I wonder how much of that angry young man at the beginning of his career was just an act cause he knew it was good for business.

At least he had the self awareness to be mortified by a lot of his early behavior in that PJ20 documentary Cameron Crowe did.

TL;DR.....I like the guy.  I've always liked the guy.  But I definitely think he's more than a little full of shit sometimes.

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

I don't understand the reference in any way but I stand by what I said.

Everyone has a right to be happy.  I'm sure he's far happier with his wife and daughters than he was with Beth.

But any long time, hardcore PJ fanatic will tell you he made no secret about how much he loved her and wanted nothing to do with other women.  On the same album where he calls models "skinny little bitches" he also sings "Small my table, it seats just two- ME and BETH!"  And I don't think old school fans from the 90s are ever gonna hear Oceans live again without hearing the "oooooohh Beethhh" outro in their heads.

But shit happens and marriages fall apart.  The only reason I call Vedder out on it is cause he was one of the single loudest mouthed, respect all women, "no means no"  Gloriam Steinhem is my mentor, pro-choice keep your fucking old white man hands off women's bodies' rights sanctimonious MALE FEMINIST of all time.

So for him to do an about face when his own marriage falls apart and immediately date a woman who's a MODEL....remember them, the skinny little bitches who had no time for before?  He just smacks of hypocrisy.

Then again, a guy worth like $300,000,000 preaching to all of us about climate change and voting and all that is the same old shit too.  He was back at Lollapalooza 92promising to leave the country if the Republicans won the election.

He went on SNL right after Kurt died and sang in front of millions of people how he hates "resents nepotism".....now his two talentless daughters are singing tracks all over his music.

So did he just get old and lose that rebellious fire that was once in all of us, or was he just plain full of shit all along?

Clearly the guy is in a healthy, happy place, so good for him.  But in his case, considering his extensive background in theater before music, I wonder how much of that angry young man at the beginning of his career was just an act cause he knew it was good for business.

At least he had the self awareness to be mortified by a lot of his early behavior in that PJ20 documentary Cameron Crowe did.

TL;DR.....I like the guy.  I've always liked the guy.  But I definitely think he's more than a little full of shit sometimes.

Total ignorance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

GN'R "at least had some teeth". Unlike Pearl Jam, so thanks at least for that acknowledgment...

That's not fair, they definitely had some ''teeth''. If you don't like their music, then that's cool, but they definitely made some bold moves and intense songs and weren't just some ordinary rock band.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's not fair, they definitely had some ''teeth''. If you don't like their music, then that's cool, but they definitely made some bold moves and intense songs and weren't just some ordinary rock band.

Ok but if anything, it would have made more sense if Guns said something like that about PJ and not the other way round, if you know what I mean. Other than that, I have nothing against them, but then again, I've never been into them either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Ok but if anything, it would have made more sense if Guns said something like that about PJ and not the other way round, if you know what I mean. Other than that, I have nothing against them, but then again, I've never been into them either. 

No, I'm not sure what you mean. He was merely commenting on the 80's mainstream bands that he didn't care about, and he felt GnR were the exception in the late 80's, so he said something nice about them. That's all.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

No, I'm not sure what you mean. He was merely commenting on the 80's mainstream bands that he didn't care about, and he felt GnR were the exception in the late 80's, so he said something nice about them. That's all.

My understanding is there’s a difference between "at least GNR had some teeth" and "GNR at least had some teeth" – and he used the latter. But maybe I’m reading too much into it or am reading it wrong (I understand it as "had at least some teeth" – which is probably wrong now that I think about it). To me, it’s like "you’re the one to talk, when it’s actually GNR who had way more teeth than you". Again, no big deal. 
Just some crap to talk about while nothing else is happening in the camp. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

My understanding is there’s a difference between "at least GNR had some teeth" and "GNR at least had some teeth" – and he used the latter. But maybe I’m reading too much into it or am reading it wrong (I understand it as "had at least some teeth" – which is probably wrong now that I think about it). To me, it’s like "you’re the one to talk, when it’s actually GNR who had way more teeth than you". Again, no big deal. 
Just some crap to talk about while nothing else is happening in the camp. 

Sorry, man, I'm really not following anymore. I think he was just saying something nice about the band and that they were different from most other mainstream rock bands at the time. Nothing more, nothing less. Anywho, no point getting into a linguistic debate! 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, Eddie Money said:

Aloha friends.  The only thing that I ever recall Eddie saying about GNR previously was when he made a comment as he took the stage at that disastrous Bridge School Benefit GNR performance when Axl was late and Eddie stepped in to play a short set while they waited on GNR.  I cant remember exactly what he said, but it was something like "if you would have told me when I woke up this morning that I'd be opening for Guns N' Roses, I would have said you're lying".  Never heard anything bad. 

Yeah, it was something like that. He played Last Kiss and Elderly Woman and absolutely killed it. Was really the highlight of the show for me 

7 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Yeah, it was something like that. He played Last Kiss and Elderly Woman and absolutely killed it. Was really the highlight of the show for me 

I basically associate Bridge School Benefit with Pearl Jam outside Neil Young. There's been years like 1994 and 1999 where it was one of very few live performances by them. 1999 specifically had live debuts of songs that would later appear on Binaural which came out in 2000.

• Like 1