11/29/22 - Adelaide, AU - Adelaide Oval

alfierose

it's been a long while since i did basic highschool physics, so I am not 100% sure of its correctness, and the stuff done below is not counting air resistance (because I never learnt how to calculate that, and it's probably not that significant at such low heights and considering the microphone isn't a flappy object), and is only counting vertical height (because I am lazy, nor do I know Axl's throwing speed ability)

(nor can I vouch for the accuracy of sources listed below)

I'm using this guy's method of calculating force of impact by falling object: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhVrpSzeMo

According to this website: https://equipboard.com/pros/axl-rose

Axl uses a
Shure UR2/BETA58A Handheld Wireless Microphone . ("Beta" microphone lol ) And according to this website, https://www.musson.com/ur2-beta58a-handheld-wireless-microphone-transmitter.html the microphone weighs 3 lbs. But according to these websites, ( https://www.proacousticsusa.com/shure-ur2-beta58a-handheld-wireless-microphone-transmitter.html, https://www.fnsintl.com/products/shure/wirelessmicrophone/uhf-r-wireless-systems/beta58a-with-ur2-handheld-transmitter/) the microphone weights 0.314 or 0.316 kg. I'm going to go with 0.315 kg for the weight of the microphone, without the two AA batteries it uses. AA batteries apparently usually weigh 23g, so I will add that to the microphone weight, making it weigh 0.362 kg in total. (edit: craaaaap, it was supposed to be 0.361 kg, but I've been using 0.362 kg because of a typo :facepalm: well let's just pretend i used the 0.316kg weight for the microphone's initial weight without batteries.)

7news has video of the microphone being lobbed and landing. ( https://7news.com.au/news/sa/guns-n-roses-fan-furious-after-woman-injured-during-concert-c-9040682). I'm not good at determining heights based on video so lets say that the microphone was around 9 meters up from somebody's face, because the microphone fell from the peak of the trajectory to to someone's face, in around one second, and things on Earth generally fall at an acceleration 9.8 metres per second, per second.

So the impact force of a falling object can be calculated by Force = Work, divided by distance it takes to stop.
("work" is something like a measure of energy when using a force on an object for a distance. ) F = W/d

So the energy an object gains by falling is mass * gravity * height. 0.362 kg * 9.8 m/s/s * 9 m is around 31.9 joules. (kg m^2 / s^2 in SI base units), making that the Work.

A person's skull is very hard, so I will put the distance it takes to stop at 0.05 m. (5 cm is for the distance of the person moving the neck backwards when getting hit in the face). The microphone is made out of solid, non-crumpling metal, so I won't factor anything from the microphone being compressed into the stopping distance.

So going with work divided by stopping-distance, 31.9/0.05 =around 638 Newtons of impact force.

But the dude in the video says total force also counts the force from the weight of the object. Total Force = Weight + Force of impact.

Force from gravity (aka weight) is mass * acceleration due to gravity, so 0.362 * 9.8 = around 3.55 Newtons

3.55 + 638  newtons = the force of a microphone on the face is around 641.55 newtons

To double check, this website ( http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/flobi.html ) doesn't include the weight of the object, but using the numbers 0.362 kg, height 9m, and stopping distance, d = 0.05 m (some of the boxes in the website fill out by themselves), brings up 638.5 newtons.

But that's not all. The thinner shape of the microphone generates more pressure than being lobbed in the face by something that's more wider and spread-out, like a soccerball. (and the soccerball isn't made out of metal.) I don't have the dimensions of the microphone on hand, but lets pretend that bottom metal end of the microphone that is not the round bit being sung in, is around 3 cm in diameter. That's 0.015 m in radius, so doing the pi*radius*squared calculation, that gives 0.000706858 metres squared in area. I'm going to simplify it to 0.00071 metres squared.

ur2_sm58.jpg

Pressure = Force divided by area. So 641.55 divided by 0.00071 is around 916500 pascals, or around 133 PSI, coming at your face at nearly 10 metres per second. (638.5 / 0.0007 = around 912142.86 pascals, which is still around 132 psi)

This website (https://wayofmartialarts.com/average-force-of-a-punch/ ) says an average human punch is around  120-150 psi.

So that's a guess of the force of getting hit in the face by the back-end of the mic. It's like getting punched in the face. A punch in the wrong place can definitely turn out deadly. I hope nobody ever gets hit in the worst place, and Axl doesn't bust his mental stability over a third person dying at a GnR concert if one day some poor sucker gets killed in a flying microphone accident that requires great misfortune.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently someone else caught the mic. So….it bounces off of her face and then someone else caught it via rebound?

I still think she was accidentally pummeled by actual Guns fans trying to grab the mic because any real fan knows Axl has been launching a mic in the audience after “take me down to the paradise city” for almost 30 years.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Fucking bullshit

Another victory for the woke public……..

Wait until these same people read about the band’s antics from 30 years ago. 

50 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Fucking bullshit

I’m also assuming there goes the whistle being tossed into the crowd too. 

Edited by HollyWoodRose84
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Fuck your woke bullshit. What does that have to do with anything?

This is about an attention seeking Karen who needed the world to know she was hit by a mic and some scumbag media outlet that made a huge deal out of it. And as a result, a 30 year old tradition gets eradicated. Has nothing to do with "woke"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Fuck your woke bullshit. What does that have to do with anything?

This is about an attention seeking Karen who needed the world to know she was hit by a mic and some scumbag media outlet that made a huge deal out of it. And as a result, a 30 year old tradition gets eradicated. Has nothing to do with "woke"

I think you misread my entire post.

please try again. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I don't think I did. You said it's a victory for the "woke public". Though I don't get where this has anything to do with that

Anyway, we should target our hatred at Rebecca howe. She's the Voldemort of gnr from now on

Woke has a few meanings… I’m almost positive what I was referring to and what you assumed I was referring to are two COMPLETELY different things. 

carry on…

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I clicked on page 4 of this thread expecting just talking about how stale the setlist was or the level of Mickey going on, was not expecting a whole to-do about wokeness and getting hit with a mic lol

Being a fan of this band in the 21st century is a trip, ain’t it? 

Rebecca Howe was enjoying Axl Rose's performance of the hit when the frontman launched the microphone into the crowd at the end of the song.

"I was just putting out a warning for people, if Axl sings Paradise City get ready to duck for cover," she said.

Ms Howe suffered bruises on her face.

The woman said she wanted to share her warning, saying "my intentions were not to gain anything".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-02/sa-woman-injured-during-guns-n-roses-adelaide-concert/101727348

It's understandable that this was a news story in the local outlets, but it's mind-boggling that it was picked up and made such a big deal of by media around the world.

• Like 3

So because of some pseudo fan Axl is going to stop something he's been well-known to do for over 30 years... Unbelievable. She should have stuck to her "pub bands" or teenybopper shit. 

I hope Axl won't skip Adelaide next time because of this 😔

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Everything that’s different and exciting is slowly but surely being ripped away by the woke crowd!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Rebecca Howe was enjoying Axl Rose's performance of the hit when the frontman launched the microphone into the crowd at the end of the song.

"I was just putting out a warning for people, if Axl sings Paradise City get ready to duck for cover," she said.

Ms Howe suffered bruises on her face.

The woman said she wanted to share her warning, saying "my intentions were not to gain anything".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-02/sa-woman-injured-during-guns-n-roses-adelaide-concert/101727348

It's understandable that this was a news story in the local outlets, but it's mind-boggling that it was picked up and made such a big deal of by media around the world.

Yes, it news is in everywhere. 

• Like 1