Terminator 2' Star's Bid to Replace Guns N' Roses on Soundtrack

Terminator 2 star Robert Patrick said he had lobbied for Nine Inch Nails to be featured on the movie’s soundtrack, but explained why Guns N’ Roses appeared instead.

Patrick – who played the T-1000 liquid metal cyborg who took on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s T-800 in the 1991 movie – said he had a specific song in mind and a reason for suggesting it to director James Cameron.

“When I was making Terminator 2, I used to work out to ‘Head Like a Hole’ by Nine Inch Nails, because my younger brother, Richard Patrick, was a touring guitarist for them,” the actor told The Guardian in a new interview. “I took it to Jim Cameron and tried to get him to use it for the soundtrack … but he said, ‘No. Arnold prefers Guns N’ Roses,’ who went on to record ‘You Could Be Mine,’ an original song for Terminator 2.”

Read More: 'Terminator 2' Star's Bid to Replace Guns N' Roses on Soundtrack | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/terminator-2-soundtrack-guns-n-roses/?fbclid=IwAR0z6Fw7FtCpdo8qA29GYdzHJkY4bHV5DqLVeE0lD-52XKtD9p7g-rAt0c4&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

• Like 3

Would’ve been too ‘cool’ I think. GN’R were a massive cinematic spectacle at the time, like T2. John Connor was a cheeky little scuzz too, NIN would’ve been too much of a brooding and angsty choice. GN’R had a chaotic sense of fun that compliments his ‘Bart Simpson’ character energy.

funnily enough, watched T1 and T2 this weekend back to back. Incredible films. 

• Like 4

I always thought YCBM was a bit of a weird fit for the film tbh. Sonically it fits, but the lyrics are irrelevant to the film’s theme. What has a bitter tirade from Axl about some relationship of his got to do with a story about a time travelling cyborg, lol

I liked that they did it though, obviously 

.”No. Arnold prefers Guns N’ Roses,’ who went on to record ‘You Could Be Mine,’ an original song for Terminator 2.

Is he saying that the song was written just for the movie? 
Reads://ultimateclassicrock.com/terminator-2-soundtrack-guns-n-roses/?fbclid=IwAR0z6Fw7FtCpdo8

qA29GYdzHJkY4bHV5DqLVeE0lD-52XKtD9p7g-rAt0c4&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

8 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

.”No. Arnold prefers Guns N’ Roses,’ who went on to record ‘You Could Be Mine,’ an original song for Terminator 2.

Reads://ultimateclassicrock.com/terminator-2-soundtrack-guns-n-roses/?fbclid=IwAR0z6Fw7FtCpdo8

qA29GYdzHJkY4bHV5DqLVeE0lD-52XKtD9p7g-rAt0c4&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

No, the song was written already in the AfD era. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

No. Originally Chosen. It was Written during appetite days, you could just search for that info.

13 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I always thought YCBM was a bit of a weird fit for the film tbh. Sonically it fits, but the lyrics are irrelevant to the film’s theme. What has a bitter tirade from Axl about some relationship of his got to do with a story about a time travelling cyborg, lol

I liked that they did it though, obviously 

Songs about time travelling robots is more Iron Maiden’s dap… and thank god they weren’t in the soundtrack!

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:25 PM, Voodoochild said:

Great clickbait headline. He didn't want to replace GNR, he just asked to get the song in there before the release. 

Not surprising considering this glorified blog of a website.

• Like 1

As cool as NIN is, I have to think that they would’ve flown over the heads of most people in the theaters in 1991. GN’R on the other hand was very well known, and only added to the viewership with crossover appeal

Also, it didn’t fit with the theme of the scene of establishing John’s character as a misfit; GN’R in 1991, with their rep at that time did that well. 

The original song Cameron wanted in the scene was I Wanna Be Sedated. Which also fits with the social misfit vibe. Head Like A Hole doesn’t 

• Like 1

NIN's debut album hadn't even been out a year by the time T2 went into production. While they were certainly quite popular by July 1991 when the film was released, I'm not so sure they were known by the masses. And that type of music, especially back then, had a bit of a niche following. It just wasn't commercial enough.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 1:03 PM, Billy Cundy said:

funnily enough, watched T1 and T2 this weekend back to back. Incredible films. 

They really are. T1 is a perfect, claustrophobic scifi-slasher and T2 is just amazing, perfect 90's summer blockbuster from simpler times. It fires all cylinders and everything just lands. Both are really different movies, but they compliment each other so well.

• Like 2