Bridge School Benefit 10 Year Anniversary!!!

2 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

What an absolute nightmare…

3 times I watched a concert and said “ok, that’s it, it’s over!”

1. Rio 2011

2. Bridge School 2012

3. Hershey 2021

That being said though, two were followed by some of the best GNR shows I’ve ever seen… Camden 2011 & AC 2021.

Edited by JAxlMorrison

4 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

What an absolute nightmare…

3 times I watched a concert and said “ok, that’s it, it’s over!”

1. Rio 2011

2. Bridge School 2012

3. Hershey 2021

Hershey was next level. The general vibe on the forum was probably at its lowest at that point that I'd ever experienced in my nearly 20 years here. Even things like Rio and Bridge School almost became more of a meme than genuine fear, but Hershey was a different beast. Even the most optimistic of fans seemed to have a "well, it might actually be over now..." attitude immediately following the gig.

19 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Hershey was next level. The general vibe on the forum was probably at its lowest at that point that I'd ever experienced in my nearly 20 years here. Even things like Rio and Bridge School almost became more of a meme than genuine fear, but Hershey was a different beast. Even the most optimistic of fans seemed to have a "well, it might actually be over now..." attitude immediately following the gig.

Berlin 2018? Thank god I didn't live there at the time or I would have experienced something that is constantly being replayed in Satans deepest level of hell.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • GNFNR 1

46 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

That being said though, two were followed by some of the best GNR shows I’ve ever seen… Camden 2011 & AC 2021.

Camden’s Rocket Queen was in my rotation for years. Great performance.

9 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Berlin 2018? Thank god I didn't live there at the time or I would have experienced something that is constantly being replayed in Satans deepest level of hell.

I had the misfortune of witnessing Berlin front and centre. Car crash stuff!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

Was Bridge School really the worst?  I just listened to a few snippets and he sounds better than or at least similar than to the 2021 and 2022 performances 

At the time - yes. But don't forget, 2010 and (most of) 2011 were still fresh on our minds so Bridge School was quite the shocker at the time.

I watched this recently and to my surprise it didn’t seem half as bad as I remembered it, I mean ok Jungle was weak as fuck but Crazy was pretty good by post 2010 standards, maybe it just seemed really bad at the time in context of 2006, but compared to later NITL efforts it’s actually alright 

7 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I watched this recently and to my surprise it didn’t seem half as bad as I remembered it, I mean ok Jungle was weak as fuck but Crazy was pretty good by post 2010 standards, maybe it just seemed really bad at the time in context of 2006, but compared to later NITL efforts it’s actually alright 

Welcome to mygnrforum!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, axlslash said:

I'm not even sure the Bridge School shows were the lowpoint.

Axl Rose's yellow jacket story is the stuff of roadie legend - Consequence

I would say Bridge School was worse. For all the cringe in the RIR '11 show (and there was plenty to be had), it has some decent performances sprinkled throughout, and the reintroduction of "Estranged" was one of those "goosebumps on my arms" moments. I still remember Bumblefoot throwing his arms in the air when it started like "this is actually happening". 

Really no redeeming qualities of the Bridge School show (or at least the night everyone remembers). It was completely pointless having the full band on stage for the whole show as Dizzy and Chris really did not have a lot to do. Other than "Better", which had the cool arrangement, the other songs just sounded like someone trying to replicate the exact same arrangements on acoustic guitars, which sounded really boring. Other lineups of the band would have made different arrangements suiting the nature of playing an acoustic gig (something the Appetite era band did well every time). Even ignoring the disappointment of Axl's vocal performance (and I will take him at his word he was sick), it was clear he had not prepared in any way, shape, or form. 

Ron and DJ Ashba hanging out with the children during the songs was the only cool moment. It was cool that Axl didn't call the whole thing off, but no denying it was a train wreck. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

"Don't Let It Bring You Down" is the only GNR cover I really like and probably one of the best songs they ever covered. "Wichita Lineman" is an even better song, but the cover is as pointless as any cover of this song compared to Glen Campbell's version. I wonder why they cover so much garbage material when they could do really good songs like these. Bridge School was a mess, but I like that they did this at least once with Neil Young himself.

22 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

If someone can't sing WTTJ should they really be the lead singer for GnR? Getting the hits right should be the absolute minimum lol

• ABSUЯD 1