2023 WORLD TOUR

57 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Do reviews really matter? Positive or negative. I'm not sure they hold their worth like they did in the past. Especially with steaming and the internet when access to performances are so accessible. It's not as if the reviews will make or break the reception or alter future sales.

Oh I agree. But it's not about whether they matter. People seem to think they'll get slated in the UK press, I don't think they will. But whether reviews actually matter at all is an entirely different discussion

6 minutes ago, Lio said:

Reviews don't matter to me per se, but I still like to see positive reviews of my favourite band :)

Yeah reviews aren't going to change my view of GNR, but it's still interesting to see what is being said. 

I'd be willing to bet certain band members pay attention to them too. 

The biggest risk is not from reviews imo bit that someone memes Axl and then it takes hold throughout social media.

Still pretty much every major band out there has done Glastonbury at some point, so even though there is a risk of the above uts another thing that sets a legacy.

Definate chance for something a little special ad well. Given Elton John will be around, I'd not rule out another November Rain duet or something totally off center. Its got the same kind of pull as Coachella and I fully expect at least one guest performer to join the band.

20 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

If one were to visit to the UK and want to watch the stream on a computer through the BBC player - would you need to pay a license on the BBC player to make it work?

I think the iPlayer required an account with a valid postcode entered possibly? Realistically that could be any postcode and email combination though, I think..

21 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

If one were to visit to the UK and want to watch the stream on a computer through the BBC player - would you need to pay a license on the BBC player to make it work?

And then just press the box that says you have a license when it appears, because you do, right? 😮

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

You do need to have a log-in to make it work yeah, so you have to have paid a licence fee. 

Are you wanting to watch it live? If you're visiting the UK and staying in a hotel, you can just watch it live on TV there. 

5 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Simple, Glastonbury isn't in Belgium or Denmark. The mainstream press in the UK largely praised Axl and the band at last year's shows in London even though the shows themselves were a disaster. The only negativity surrounded the issues at the venue. The band was praised.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1634740/guns-n-roses-Tottenham-stadium-review

"Axl’s virtuoso vocals as impressive today as ever." You won't find anyone here say that...

And 2018's Download set that wasn't great for Axl:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/gun-n-roses-download-festival-review-set-dispensed-feral-purpose/

"...showing the band are back to their best"

Kiss has been getting positive reviews too even though their latest UK shows aren't great. The UK press loves a legacy act, and I guarantee that the UK press will find a way praise the band while the forum will find something to moan about, even if it's Slash holding a note for 0.001s longer than he did on the record 😂

Because the press in Belgium / Denmark call it how it largely is they are not credible? As for the forum. It's been positive here. Not sure what you're on about really. And slash holds really bad notes for a whole lot longer than 0.00001 seconds, you might need to get your ears checked if you can't register that😜

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, beardedranga said:

I think the iPlayer required an account with a valid postcode entered possibly? Realistically that could be any postcode and email combination though, I think..

And then just press the box that says you have a license when it appears, because you do, right? 😮

I think you need a VPN now and then just a UK postcode. I have one through work I can use (I'm US-based) but can't imagine it's too difficult to set one up.

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Because the press in Belgium / Denmark call it how it largely is they are not credible? As for the forum. It's been positive here. Not sure what you're on about really. And slash holds really bad notes for a whole lot longer than 0.00001 seconds, you might need to get your ears checked if you can't register that😜

I think people like the "everyone is a hater on this forum" thing. Which really isn't true, as the recent show threads have shown.

Like most other stuff now you either have to love everything that GNR do, or hate everything they do.

The idea of liking something but being able to say that you think some aspects of it are good when they are good and bad when they are bad too is a dying thing in the age of culture wars, echo chambers and algorithm based entertainment. 

Fortunately there's shitloads of people on here that are capable of praise where it's due and piss-taking when it's due too! 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, Lio said:

No, agreed. Thing is, in Belgium at least they've never been popular with the press. And some reviews were just meanspirited and not fair at all. There's the bias against Axl mainly.  One reviewer even said Axl has no charisma and seemed uninterested. WTF. There's enough valid criticism to be made, but let's be fair at least.

My sister saw GNR for the first time at Graspop. I would call her a casual at most, I don't think she ever listens to GNR and pretty sure she's never heard CD. She goes to a lot of shows of all sorts of genres, and she said that Axl obviously doesn't sound anymore like he used to, but you could see he was going for it and giving his all for three hours and she really loved the band too. I think it's also about your expectations going in.

What your sister says is what literally everyone I talked to at Graspop said as well and that's around 10/15 people (usually camp neighbours). Some though he'd be worse than he was as well but nobody expected the 90s. 

Some people were annoyed that a band with a singer that can't do it like in his prime is headlining the festival, but that's a different issue 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

It won't be on BBC iplayer live, iplayer is like a catch-up service for BBC shows, it'll be on there the next day. It's live on BBC2.

I wouldn't worry about the licence, just use a VPN and a UK postcode. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

It won't be on BBC iplayer live, iplayer is like a catch-up service for BBC shows, it'll be on there the next day. It's live on BBC2.

Most excellent.  Most excellent.  I think I've figured it out.  Thank you @janrichmond, @beardedranga, @AtlasShrugged, @allwaystired.  A person would never say they have a license unless they have one.  Easy.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

No. You will probably need to create an account somehow though, I can’t remember whether you’d need an address for that.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Not strictly true. A lot of things are shown live through iplayer, chances are this will be “live” on iplayer (speech marks as its delayed). You can watch live tv through iplayer.

edit: can see you have posted again on the subject

Edited by Carburetta
  • Thanks 1

I expect this to look like the whole show. But there will be cuts. Macca apparently played from three hours last year, I don’t think we got the whole three hours on tv, I could be wrong. This was always going to be on tv one way or another, it’s the whole point of it.

I think there's a very strong chance we'll see Perhaps released in or around the day of Glastonbury. Get a feeling they understand the significance and exposure of it.

Praying for a solid performance. There's a small chance Axl could come and blow people away with the energy and decent vocals (or decent in terms of what they show). Looking forward to it but nervous also.

1 hour ago, Spike Killer said:

Most excellent.  Most excellent.  I think I've figured it out.  Thank you @janrichmond, @beardedranga, @AtlasShrugged, @allwaystired.  A person would never say they have a license unless they have one.  Easy.

I think (but could be wrong) that there are more verification layers to it these days......

I'd say though if you're visiting the UK, your best bet is still just watching it on TV. Way easier and you don't have to worry about any of the other stuff. The channel it's on will be available in any room you've rented with a TV! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

I expect this to look like the whole show. But there will be cuts. Macca apparently played from three hours last year, I don’t think we got the whole three hours on tv, I could be wrong. This was always going to be on tv one way or another, it’s the whole point of it.

I think we did get the full set live on TV, but there was something about it not being available on iPlayer as I recall. They only put the highlights on there, until a few weeks later. Something like that anyway! 

55 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

I think there's a very strong chance we'll see Perhaps released in or around the day of Glastonbury. Get a feeling they understand the significance and exposure of it.

Praying for a solid performance. There's a small chance Axl could come and blow people away with the energy and decent vocals (or decent in terms of what they show). Looking forward to it but nervous also.

It would make too much sense, it’s something a normal band would do. I don’t see it happening there.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:57 PM, allwaystired said:

Oh, no idea, but speculating I'd imagine a combination of money, aging and mental health improvement would have a lot to do with it. 

yeah I'd bet on better psy balance due to good medication.

and maybe recently even a different medication, but maybe it's just a different state of mind, don't know, I find Axl a bit changed on this tour, better shape, I don't know

Edited by DeNfr
  • Like 1

Does someone else feel that the opportunity to release Perhaps has already been fumbled? (unless they release it before Glastonbury)

Absurd was debuted at the second show of 2021 irc...

And remember the anticipation for Hard Skool? the song had been on the setlist since like 2019, we got a lot of soundchecks (w/Axl) everywhere, Axl telling a fan it was soon to come, some people even heard the intro many days before the release, etc.

Aside from a couple of videos and the pic we have absolutely nothing yet and the "big date" is coming ,if it's not out by then they are obviously gonna play it safe that day... so... are they really gonna skip Glastonbury to showcase the new single just to release it someday on a random show at New Jersey or Kansas??? (i mean EVEN for GNR and their management that would be stupid as hell) i don't know...