The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

I agree! Releasing Absurd was a surprisingly ballsy move from Axl who sometimes seems too concerned about criticism these days. But then again Hard Skool was a very safe song that he probably knew would be well accepted by fans (even if some criticize it for being underproduced). I'm guessing that Axl likes Absurd a lot himself and releasing it at this point felt like a good move cause he could follow it up with the safer song Hard Skool.

I don't think that Axl is only interested in pleasing fans. Otherwise the band would be more like AC/DC. I think that Axl wants to experiment and push the boundaries of GNR music, but simultaneously he also cares about criticism and he's trying to both please the fans and push the boundaries of GNR music. That's not an easy thing to do and might partly explain why he's so slow at releasing music.

I'm not sure how interested he actually is about composing film music. Maybe he is interested and mentioned it in hopes that some movie directors would approach him about it. But maybe no one has approached him. At least no director that Axl would have been interested in working with. I don't know. This is obviously just speculation from my part too.

Sometimes Axl seems bored with the limitations of what is considered acceptable GNR music. But I do think that Axl still cares a lot about GNR. He probably cares too much. Seems to me that Axl wants to be remembered as someone who never stopped pushing the boundaries of what GNR music can sound like, but at the same time he doesn't want to alienate the fans who want more of the classic sound. At least that's my interpretation of the situation.

yeah, the Bowie dilemma that Axl talked about years ago about finding the balance between pushing the envelope (at least within your sound) and in some aspects pleasing your fans by giving them what they want.

also it seems like Axl was disappointed in the China Exchnage interview by how fans didn't relate to his choice of singing most of Chinese in his clean voice. Showed he does care at least to a certain extent.

I hope as time continues to run out for Axl to release more Gn'R tunes and perform it live, that he would release his music more often, you never know, but I'm optimistic that at least we'll hear more tunes from Gn'R in the near future.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

This forum is a funny old mix of

a) optimistic, patient stalwarts who defend and make excuses for the band at every opportunity.

b) viciously jaded and disillusioned fans who can appreciate how maddeningly silly this particular band is.

I find both equally admirable and hilarious. rock4

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

This forum is a funny old mix of

a) optimistic, patient stalwarts who defend and make excuses for the band at every opportunity.

I object to being referred to as someone who "defend and make excuses for the band at every opportunity."

I can and will never defend or excuse the band for lots of things, including releasing If The World or Bad Obsession, Axl's ridiculous outfits throughout history, Steven and Matt for their poodle hair, the childish feud between Axl and Slash, Axl's terrible attack on Madison, being so unproductive you lose Josh and Robin from your band, nor the lack of communication. And these are just some examples of things that I feel could and should have been different in a perfect world.

But on the other hand, I can and will also never criticize or attack them for any of this, or anything else, because they are grown-ass people who can make their own decisions without my input and I am a grown-ass man who have better things to do then care about irrelevant things from a rock band in 2023. 

The fact that I don't complain about what a rock band do or doesn't do, doesn't mean I think they handle things perfectly, it simply means I am an adult.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I object to being referred to as someone who "defend and make excuses for the band at every opportunity."

I can and will never defend or excuse the band for lots of things, including releasing If The World or Bad Obsession, Axl's ridiculous outfits throughout history, Steven and Matt for their poodle hair, the childish feud between Axl and Slash, Axl's terrible attack on Madison, being so unproductive you lose Josh and Robin from your band, nor the lack of communication. And these are just some examples of things that I feel could and should have been different in a perfect world.

But on the other hand, I can and will also never criticize or attack them for any of this, or anything else, because they are grown-ass people who can make their own decisions without my input and I am a grown-ass man who have better things to do then care about irrelevant things from a rock band in 2023. 

The fact that I don't complain about what a rock band do or doesn't do, doesn't mean I think they handle things perfectly, it simply means I am an adult.

Yeah I fall somewhere in the middle too, maybe I’m too harsh on them sometimes, I think I just feel frustrated because of how much I loved the music and how thirsty I am for moreeeee. The potential they had was truly remarkable. Greedy consumer that I am. 

I’m a grown ass man too, and I must say tho, I dig the poodle hair. Don’t be afraid to admit you care though, my guy. It’s ok to care. I said in my original post, I find both categories admirable. And all those who fall in between (yes was perhaps being a bit reductive for comic effect, happy @Rovim? No offence intended.) Art is art, presented to be loved and critiqued. And cared about!!

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Karice said:

The only problem with Absurd is the disgusting lyric about a vagina! 🤢🤮Had that disgusting lyric not been there it might have been a well received and really loved song. 

Sure. The lyrics are the reason the general public didn't like the song. :facepalm:

That's also why Rammstein aren't popular anywhere in the world because of their lyrics.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

3 hours ago, Karice said:

The only problem with Absurd is the disgusting lyric about a vagina! 🤢🤮Had that disgusting lyric not been there it might have been a well received and really loved song. 

How do you know he’s not singing about a dead cat?? Maybe you just have a very dirty mind :wow:

Edited by D4NNY
  • Haha 3

If anyone follows wrestling or is aware of AEW, comparisons are currently being made to their yet to be released video game Fight Forever and Chinese Democracy by people. AEW announced it in November 2020 and have shown various gameplay videos and promos since but it has yet to release in 2023. 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mystery said:

If anyone follows wrestling or is aware of AEW, comparisons are currently being made to their yet to be released video game Fight Forever and Chinese Democracy by people. AEW announced it in November 2020 and have shown various gameplay videos and promos since but it has yet to release in 2023. 

I hear Kenny Omega has at least some part in messing it up as he keeps wanting to change things which has a knock on effect to everything else. It's supposed to come on Gamepass if it ever comes out so I will try it but cant stand to watch there product anymore.

I think the only mistake gnr made with Absurd and Hardskool was that it was produced by Caram/the band. Which blows my mind considering how good the production of CD sounded. 

I guess you can look at the lyrics for absurd also being a mistake, but generally speaking, it’s not like it’s the only GNR song with horrid lyrics 

I wonder what it would sound like if they got Mike Clink back in the mix for a new album 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

I think the only mistake gnr made with Absurd and Hardskool was that it was produced by Caram/the band. Which blows my mind considering how good the production of CD sounded. 

I guess you can look at the lyrics for absurd also being a mistake, but generally speaking, it’s not like it’s the only GNR song with horrid lyrics 

I wonder what it would sound like if they got Mike Clink back in the mix for a new album 

If Absurd and Hard Skool are included on an eventual album, I really hope they are properly mixed and mastered, along with the rest of the songs. While they are at it, maybe get them close to how they were during the CD-era. 

Anyone ask Spl8t if he has heard anything about new music?

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2023 at 3:38 AM, Lies They Tell said:

Not sure what your point with this is? Everyone knows that the GNR guys aren't young anymore. Everyone knows that they are rich. So what? What is your point? Are you saying that GNR is never going to release music because they're old and rich?

But Axl has made "mistakes". The UYI records were called overproduced and some people complained that the songs are too long and pompous. Then Oh My God was released and people complained that it's too industrial. Then Chinese Democracy was released and it was again considered overproduced. Then Absurd and Hard Skool were released and some people called especially Hard Skool underproduced.

Some might argue that the reason why he's releasing music so rarely is because he has already made plenty of "mistakes" and he's learned that the frames of accepted GNR music are very limited. That might be why he seems currently more interested in composing film scores instead of GNR music. Cause the limits for what people accept as GNR music might seem too restricting

So your point is that you don't think that GNR will ever release music again? Or what exactly is your point?

More interested in composing film scores? That's going really well for him alright

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Makes me angrier that GNR are still trying to figure out how to release an album. 

Evidently it's a lot of work removing all of the work Bumblefoot contributed, and mixing back in Bucket's parts where Bumble was, whilst balancing out the additions by the other members that were made around the same time.

5 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

New Metallica record fuckin’ slaps so hard. Makes me angrier that GNR are still trying to figure out how to release an album. 

They quit trying. Though I do still hold out hope there will be a single dropped fairly “soon”.