The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 5/19/2023 at 11:43 PM, WhazUp said:

I do think there is some truth to that, especially like I remember even Axl himself during the online forum chats of 2008 was asked how much material was in the vault and I believe he said something along the lines of "not as much as Sebastion Bach thinks there is" or something such as that (if anyone remembers or has the exact quote let me know!)

I was not even in total disagreement with Pele either, the dude just going at it in a very aggressively insistent manner lol

While Pele was annoying and was proved wrong a few times, I did start to worry when we heard Hard Skool and there were vocals cut and pasted from Eye on You in the middle eight. If they've gone to that effort to source some "hey heys", there really must be very little left vocally. 

Edited by rumandraisin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vloors said:

I felt it was more dr pepper and other media widely digging at Axl that forced its eventual release.

I imagine if Geffen never cut off Axl then we would still be waiting for CD lol

I think striking while the iron was hot for big box retailer exclusives was a key factor too. The music industry was in a really bad place in 2008 and that Best Buy deal allowed the album to break even before it even came out which was crucial for the band and the label 

Of course it significantly reduced the album's sales and visibility in the US but was better than the alternative 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

While Pele was annoying and was proved wrong a few times, I did start to worry when we heard Hard Skool and there were vocals cut and pasted from Eye on You in the middle right. If they've gone to that effort to source some "hey heys", there really must be very little left vocally. 

Good point. 

16 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Yeah I forgot about the music he put out in 2016. Honestly I never really liked his solo work. I mean it's fine, definitely not bad by any means but I find it pretty boring too.  Meh. 

A lot of his stuff is pretty bland, but I'd say the same for Slash and Duff.

Like A Dog is a good album though.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:05 AM, rocknroll41 said:

When did he say “5 or 6 songs”? I thought he said “I can’t remember how many we did” and didn’t give a number.

We’re just gonna put out like one or two songs, and another one or two songs. And I think that’s gonna be pretty much all of ’em.

2 with HS and Absurd. plus another 1 or 2 and another 1 or 2. safe to assume roughly 5 or 6. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

I think striking while the iron was hot for big box retailer exclusives was a key factor too. The music industry was in a really bad place in 2008 and that Best Buy deal allowed the album to break even before it even came out which was crucial for the band and the label 

Of course it significantly reduced the album's sales and visibility in the US but was better than the alternative 

2008 2009 still millions of albums were being sold. It just kind of flopped compared to its peers in all honestly. Acdc had a wallmart exclusive but still sold just under 2 million. 

2008 https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/lil-wayne-notches-top-selling-album-of-08-1481196/

2009 https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/taylor-swift-edges-susan-boyle-for-2009s-top-selling-album-1213592/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

We’re just gonna put out like one or two songs, and another one or two songs. And I think that’s gonna be pretty much all of ’em.

2 with HS and Absurd. plus another 1 or 2 and another 1 or 2. safe to assume roughly 5 or 6. 

The other 6-8 songs on the eventual album will be mixes from 2014 or before, featuring guitar work by Buckethead and Robin Finck. :) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, vloors said:

2008 2009 still millions of albums were being sold. It just kind of flopped compared to its peers in all honestly. Acdc had a wallmart exclusive but still sold just under 2 million. 

2008 https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/lil-wayne-notches-top-selling-album-of-08-1481196/

2009 https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/taylor-swift-edges-susan-boyle-for-2009s-top-selling-album-1213592/

It's inarguable that the record industry was in a free fall in 2008. Annual revenue dropped from $22-23 billion in 2001 to around $15 billion in 2008. 

https://www.statista.com/chart/4713/global-recorded-music-industry-revenues/

The record labels were in desperation mode and the Best Buy deal made the release financially viable, it was a get out of jail free card for the band and the label. I guarantee the label was hesitant to spend millions on a marketing campaign given what they'd already spent on production, but they would have had to spend many millions on a massive rollout to have a chance of recouping without that Best Buy deal 

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck

10 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

While Pele was annoying and was proved wrong a few times, I did start to worry when we heard Hard Skool and there were vocals cut and pasted from Eye on You in the middle eight. If they've gone to that effort to source some "hey heys", there really must be very little left vocally. 

But how does this sit w/ there being CD2 rumoured to be finished? 

5 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

But how does this sit w/ there being CD2 rumoured to be finished? 

it doesn't. Axl said the second half of Chinese was completed years ago. Some posters just refuse to accept this fact. Completed means with vocals. Since we only got Absurd and HS, enough unreleased and complete material must exist for at least another album of material.

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The other 6-8 songs on the eventual album will be mixes from 2014 or before, featuring guitar work by Buckethead and Robin Finck. :) 

I don't think this is that farfetched considering the first notes we heard of officially released music from the "reunited" band were actually from Buckethead's killswitch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

The Key here is 'Axl Said' if history has taught us anything about Axl, is that he might not be telling the truth. he said there were 32 songs done in 2006. He probably is telling the truth in this case, but again, means little because Axl is so capricious in his nature. 

Plus it's clear and obvious now, GnR will only release new music that has slash and duff playing on it, and they only did 5/6 reworks. So there is no longer a new album ready to go or ever coming from that era. We do have a tour that is tanking in terms of sales and 3/4 songs sitting waiting to be released though... why those are not being released ASAP? It just shows how terrible this band are at doing anything remotely positive or smart. 

what he said in 2006 is that there were 26 done, 32 in total that they had. I wasn't talking about what is likely to be released, only what Axl has completed with vocals and in 2014, he said the second half of Chinese was done, so enough material with vocals does exist, in some form. Axl has no reason to lie about it.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

The Key here is 'Axl Said' if history has taught us anything about Axl, is that he might not be telling the truth.

Of all the guys in the GN'R universe, Axl is one of those less likely to present blunt lies, in my opinion. He might be wrong on when he will be able to do things, but that is not him deliberately telling lies, that is just him bring wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Of all the guys in the GN'R universe, Axl is one of those less likely to present blunt lies, in my opinion. He might be wrong on when he will be able to do things, but that is not him deliberately telling lies, that is just him bring wrong.

Yeah I agree - realistically Axl is the only one that truly knows what is going on. It’s not to say he’s never wrong, but I don’t think he ever presents anything with the intention to deceive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Yeah I agree - realistically Axl is the only one that truly knows what is going on. It’s not to say he’s never wrong, but I don’t think he ever presents anything with the intention to deceive.

At least very rarely.

This also means that we won't get a biography from him as long as the touring goes on.

• Like 1

I just still after all this time don't get why Axl is not more proactive in putting music out there.  Like clearly after the whole Chinese debacle, with this reunion being filled with people (Slash and Duff) who are absolute workhorses outside of GNR, it is clear to me what the common demoninator would be as to the lack of action

I doubt a record label would infinitely delay the first comeback album of one of the biggest rock bands' reunions.  So for Axl is it perfectionism?  Fear of the material not being recieved well?  Just not wanting the stress anymore and just wanting to travel the world and tour?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

So for Axl is it perfectionism?  Fear of the material not being recieved well?  Just not wanting the stress anymore [...]?

This is what we all have been asking ourselves for like a quarter of a century now, give or take. Probably a mix of all of the above. I doubt even Axl himself truly knows at this point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I just still after all this time don't get why Axl is not more proactive in putting music out there.  Like clearly after the whole Chinese debacle, with this reunion being filled with people (Slash and Duff) who are absolute workhorses outside of GNR, it is clear to me what the common demoninator would be as to the lack of action

I doubt a record label would infinitely delay the first comeback album of one of the biggest rock bands' reunions.  So for Axl is it perfectionism?  Fear of the material not being recieved well?  Just not wanting the stress anymore and just wanting to travel the world and tour?

None of the above ... He just does not care and has retired from being an artist a very long time ago 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1