The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

5 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

Yeah... I like the person Bumblefoot is, but his guitar playing - while technically very good - is not necessarily my taste. What makes Buckethead exceptional is his ability to play very technical stuff in an emotional way... if that makes any sense.

Bumblefoot did some nice stuff as well... his live Don't Cry instrumental was lovely. I really don't want to be negative about him. But they shouldn't have replaced the original stuff.

Should have kept Brian May on it as well.

So what we have learnt is that tinkering with an already finished product is a bad idea. Here comes The General....

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

But original parts he replaced are better than his work.

He is very good guitarist, my favorite member of the 2009-2014 lineup, but all of Buckethead's and Robin's parts should have been left untouched on the album.

And it was the point the album became overly cluttered. 

Listen to the Andy Wallace mixes of IRS, Chinese, Twat and Better which are from 2003-4 compared to the finished product with Bumbles unnecessary rhythm parts added. 

IRS in particular was so angry and had so much sleaze and lots of space to breath. CD too with the bass heavy verses which end up with Bumble doing that slide part. 

I'm really not a fan of him or his guitar parts. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

But that's just one way of see it. Sure the songs are not based on traditional guitar riffs (even tho you still have it with Better, Shacklers, Riad, Scraped, IRS), but the other songs are pretty much showcases of great guitar solos. If you consider Chinese as a natural follow up of the Illusions, but condensed in a single album, it makes sense.

Oh for sure, don't get me wrong I love a lot of the guitar work throughout Chinese!  Buckethead's solo on There Was a Time, the solos on Street of Dreams, the riffs and lead work in the breakdown of Better, etc. 

And it does make sense, if Slash and Izzy aren't there to provide the things that made the old stuff sound like the old stuff with the infusion of their riff sensibilities, it is a wise decision to pivot and take the other elements that Axl brought to the Illusions and build on that in a different way.  Instead of trying to recreate the vibe that other dudes have - which years down the road he must have forgotten when hiring DJ :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

Between TSI and CD it was exactly 15 years to the day (23/11) the albums were released. That’s 5479 days. 
Since Chinese Democracy, its “at this moment” been 5,321 days.

So unless they release another album on or before 24th November this year they will break their own record for longest gap between albums. 

And no… I’ve had nothing better to do tonight than work that out. :lol:

Fucking hell, this is frightening...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D4NNY said:

Between TSI and CD it was exactly 15 years to the day (23/11) the albums were released. That’s 5479 days. 
Since Chinese Democracy, its “at this moment” been 5,321 days.

So unless they release another album on or before 24th November this year they will break their own record for longest gap between albums. 

And no… I’ve had nothing better to do tonight than work that out. :lol:

They're definitely going to break this record............ As well as create a new one for their longest tour. This is BS, why am I not surprised 😂 

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2023 at 11:33 PM, DeNfr said:

fine by me, I'm used to be in the minority

I'm with you. I mostly like Bumblefoot's contributions. Not sure who is in the minority. Either the Buckethead fanboys are a very vocal minority or they are the majority. I don't know and I don't really care. I'm just happy that I tend to prefer the final versions that GNR puts out. I also prefer the final versions of Hard Skool and Absurd over the demos.

16 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Axl had a borderline homosexual infatuation with Ashba. Glad that era is over with.

This has to be one of those tone / internet text issues. There's no way this is serious 😄

If it is then I have to re-evaluate all the bands I listen to. They might all be homosexuals. Looking at you Manowar😄

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This has to be one of those tone / internet text issues. There's no way this is serious 😄

If it is then I have to re-evaluate all the bands I listen to. They might all be homosexuals. Looking at you Manowar😄

Ehhh....maybe 10% serious? I just always found Axl's fondness for DJ completely inexplicable.

• Like 2