The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 minutes ago, tboneman said:

Maybe people in the audience should start a crowd chant like they do in WWE 😂

"WE WANT NEW MUSIC!"

clap clap clapclapclap 

Probably 75% of the average crowd at a show know SCOM, PC & NOVR they probably don't care about new music

14 minutes ago, tboneman said:

Maybe people in the audience should start a crowd chant like they do in WWE 😂

"WE WANT NEW MUSIC!"

clap clap clapclapclap 

I do wonder what would happen actually if a load of people got together and made a banner, impossible to ignore, that said "play Perhaps and The General". 

My guess is security would be instructed to remove it asap.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No, I didn't. I focused on songs from the CD sessions.

Let's see if this is better:

songs11.jpg

Nice effort! But a few things are off:

OMG was being written when Duff and Sorum were still in the band in early 1997 (as confirmed by Axl during the song’s press release).

Madagascar began life as soon as Pitman joined the band in late 1997.

Dave Dominguez says Ides of March was already being worked on (and almost done, funny enough) in 1998.

Atlas and Hardschool were on the same 1999 demo tape that had IRS, Catcher, TWAT and Prostitute.

Riad also comes from 1999 cause Tommy confirmed that Brian May did a solo for it.

I could be wrong about this one, but I’m pretty sure Brain said he started writing The General before the House of Blues gig (so late 2000). Though Dizzy implied that the song comes from 2004. Timeline is confusing for that one.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Atlas and Hardschool were on the same 1999 demo tape that had IRS, Catcher, TWAT and Prostitute.

I'm not saying there wasn't a version of Atlas around then but

Edited by Shacklermyrye

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

When you just take a moment to think about it, it's absolutely ludicrous. One song. 

Rehearsed, ready to play, ready to release....yet nothing. For a whole tour.  It's sort of funny in some ways, but in other ways, just absolute madness how much thought and debate has gone on here and elsewhere about just one song. 

If we all took a step back from our fandom and consider that, it's mind boggling. 

I know right. Then once it's released, we'll all be saying.... Why is it so brickwalled and prefer the demo 😂 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

Where did that scan come from? I've never seen it circulate before.

Oh i found that ages ago buried on some site somewhere

5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

My mistake. Either way, Atlas had to have existed in 1999 cause Brian May also worked on it.

May was asked in November 1999 by fax to come do stuff, he was replacing Fink guitar solo on some stuff. he spoke about it on a radio show in the uk years back. There should be a transcript somewhere, but Axl wanted to work with him for a while

“We may work with Brian May on a project upcoming. We get along with Brian really well." (Axl Rockline  Radio 01-03-94) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLIbhfLVP10 

Axl: "I go back to listening to Queen -- you know, we're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some  tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in." (8th November 1999)  

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

"JANUARY 24th 2000 I hope you've all had a good weekend? It's all still pretty quiet here - Brian is back from working with Axl in Los Angeles on the new Chinese Democracy Guns n Roses album. I don't know yet what  tracks will feature Brian, I'll let you know when we know. Roger is down in Cornwall shooting (pheasants  apparently!) and John is at home. "from the official queen fan site: http://www.queenworld.com/

25 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Nice effort! But a few things are off:

OMG was being written when Duff and Sorum were still in the band in early 1997 (as confirmed by Axl during the song’s press release).

Madagascar began life as soon as Pitman joined the band in late 1997.

How do you know? I have looked at quotes and obviously we have the one where Chris talked about setting up gear at Axl's place, but it is not clear whether when exactly that happened.

25 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Dave Dominguez says Ides of March was already being worked on (and almost done, funny enough) in 1998.

Yes, that's why Ides of March stretches all the way to 1998. In the newest version I have moved the name to 1998.

26 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

That's great! Was Hardskool named Checkmate then? And was the name given by leakers/hoarders or by the band?

27 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Riad also comes from 1999 cause Tommy confirmed that Brian May did a solo for it.

Thanks. I will double check that. 

28 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I could be wrong about this one, but I’m pretty sure Brain said he started writing The General before the House of Blues gig (so late 2000). Though Dizzy implied that the song comes from 2004. Timeline is confusing for that one.

I would need to have that Brain interview to double check. I haven't come to it yet in my work.

4 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

May was asked in November 1999 by fax to come do stuff, he was replacing Fink guitar solo on some stuff. he spoke about it on a radio show in the uk years back. There should be a transcript somewhere, but Axl wanted to work with him for a while

“We may work with Brian May on a project upcoming. We get along with Brian really well." (Axl Rockline  Radio 01-03-94) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLIbhfLVP10 

Axl: "I go back to listening to Queen -- you know, we're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some  tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in." (8th November 1999)  

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

"JANUARY 24th 2000 I hope you've all had a good weekend? It's all still pretty quiet here - Brian is back from working with Axl in Los Angeles on the new Chinese Democracy Guns n Roses album. I don't know yet what  tracks will feature Brian, I'll let you know when we know. Roger is down in Cornwall shooting (pheasants  apparently!) and John is at home. "from the official queen fan site: http://www.queenworld.com/

Here's my chapter on May working with the band, it contains lots of quotes: (39) 22. NOVEMBER 1999-JANUARY 2001: LINEUP TURMOIL BUT A TRIUMPHAL RETURN (a-4-d.com)

@SoulMonsterwith regards to OMG @rocknroll41 is correct

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the  musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed  to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demo’s  were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.' (Axl. Rolling Stone, September 22, 1999)

Also The General has to be pree 2004 as Beltrami worked on it in October 2002

Edited by Shacklermyrye

1 hour ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Probably 75% of the average crowd at a show know SCOM, PC & NOVR they probably don't care about new music

At least 75%, and it'll be more in Boston, Wrigley, Meadowlands in NJ- the American crowd is mostly of the "Nice! you wanna go see GnR at Fenway??! That'll be awesome- then this wintah we'll go see th' New Kids at the Gah-den- holy throwback, kid!" variety.

On that note, new releases won't nudge the ticket sales needle in the States (IMO); maybe it would help in South America where the fan base is massive AND more up on the current band, but who knows? :shrugs:

Edited by Rodzilla72

Just thinking, maybe Duff said news was "this month" but the translator accidentally thought it was "this week"...

Would make sense that he would expect it to happen sometime in the month before the US tour.

Edited by Sonicjam
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Like Merck was, we’re all waiting for that illusive muse to appear. Might be tonight, might be 5 years from now.

Thats just how Axl rolls.

Or 15 years with only 2 mediocre songs to show for it. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

We’ve now reached the point where the time since CD was released has basically equalled the time between TSI and CD. Pathetic really. Happy the reunion happened but the opportunity/potential pissed away the last 30 years is ridiculous.

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

no love for Quicksong here?

Not my favorite tune but a finished version could be a very good one...

For me State of grace is BY FAR the best song of the leaks, but I really dig Perhaps and Atlas is a good song which lacks some more aggresive vocals IMO,

1992 Axl vocals would elevate Atlas to another level

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

How do you know? I have looked at quotes and obviously we have the one where Chris talked about setting up gear at Axl's place, but it is not clear whether when exactly that happened.

Yes, that's why Ides of March stretches all the way to 1998. In the newest version I have moved the name to 1998.

That's great! Was Hardskool named Checkmate then? And was the name given by leakers/hoarders or by the band?

Thanks. I will double check that. 

I would need to have that Brain interview to double check. I haven't come to it yet in my work.

Here's my chapter on May working with the band, it contains lots of quotes: (39) 22. NOVEMBER 1999-JANUARY 2001: LINEUP TURMOIL BUT A TRIUMPHAL RETURN (a-4-d.com)

I kinda remember hearing about Pitman showing Axl the horn sound specifically and then Axl immediately started playing the Maddy riff. I also vaguely recall Axl saying that Maddy was his first time writing lyrics since the UYI era, so that kinda fits too.

Someone shared a screenshot here a few posts back of the 1999 demo tape. It says “Hardschool.”

For Tommy talking about Riad and Brain talking about The General, look up their appearances on Brando’s podcast. He posts clips of that stuff on his YouTube page. I think Voodoochild is right though that when Axl asked Brain “hey why is it called The General?” it must’ve been at the Joint/Hard Rock gigs in Vegas in LATE 2001, and Brain simply confused it for House of Blues.

Edited by rocknroll41