The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, the piano driven song played at the Vienna party is probably real.

The other story though, about a song that Axl wrote about his mother, originated from another forum (gunsnfnroses). They had posted a supposed exclusive interview with a woman who worked in Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas, iirc. I had found that post when I first read about that story and it clearly looked like a hoax - that forum was known for hoaxes and trolling anyway.

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification. Well at minimum we do have a potentially unknown song to maybe look forward to. Whether it links up with one of the known titles, hard to say. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

My personal favorite of the Village Leaks is an idea called Tonto. Seems ready to go to me. It's energetic, aggressive, and perfect for the band. But, as far as I can tell, Axl hasn't given it a thought because there's no evidence to suggest he has. 

There is evidence in the form of a leaked screenshot that includes Tonto in a list of songs for CD2. The list is a screen shot of an email from January 25, 2008 with the subject "CD2" and Tonto is listed as "Tonto V Br"

It's likely the song was worked on from 2000-2008, especially since it showed up on a list from 2008 alongside other songs such as The General, Atlas Shrugged, Cuban Skies, Going Down, Silkworms, Perhaps, Nothing, Soul Monster, Jackie Chan (Hard Skool) and others.

I happen to know the list is real, as do a few others here, but for any who doubt, that list contained three songs that were unknown but were present in the Village leaks. (Nothing, Perhaps, and Tonto) The date on the file I have is from 2011. 

The most interesting thing about the list to me, are the exclusion of songs (at least by name) such as Oklahoma/Berlin, State Of Grace, Zodiac 13, Seven, and Quick Song. A song called "Monstrocity" is listed, that could be one of them, as Axl said most known titles are working titles and subject to change. 

Back in early 2008 though, three albums were very much still considered, as Axl told Sebastian Bach in 2007 (or so) that The General would be on the third album, in 2012...

6 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

This is simply incorrect. Most of the song titles were grafted from interviews and were just working titles for ideas in various stages of development, the song “list” from an alternate CD was not real. Aside from this, it was full of song titles that were never developed. Most likely Axl never finished writing lyrics nor recorded any vocals for a vast majority of the working song titles from the CD era.

During the hunt for unreleased tracks, what became apparent was the lack of completed material which seemed to be in contrast to what some of the earlier rumors suggested. Those who actually worked on the album painted a picture of lack of continuity and direction. With the band leader seldom showing his face or presenting completed ideas.  

Based on Axl’s own disclosure, there would have been 26 tracks in semi-completed form prior to the release of CD. We can assume this includes the tracks on the album, the leaked tracks as well as OMG, Going Down and The General. We will learn in the not-so-distant future that we’ve already heard some of the tracks that were hidden under different titles previously and/or deconstructed and used in those other tracks. 

If you are saying the leaked CD2 list is not real, it is. Are you also saying there is not at least one more album worth of material? Axl himself has confirmed this. In 2006, Axl said they had 2.5 albums worth of material. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

If there was really a bunch of big guns, I am sure they'd be released even as a single. 

Why would you think that? The first single from the 2008 album was Chinese Democracy, which is far from the strongest song on that album. The same with Absurd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR 1991 said:

People in this thread making it seem like Oh My God is ever getting re-released. It is NOT happening, just give it up and move on. The song was already released in 1999, I don’t care that they rehearsed it once in 2011, its not coming.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but years ago a mix of Oh My God leaked that has Buckethead and Bumblefoot on it. "OMG2" also appeared on the leaked CD2 list. Axl mentioned a remix that is not taken that seriously anymore, however, the description of his remix didn't fit the Buckethead/Bumblefoot leak, so they worked on different versions post-1999. (Maybe one was for the remix album?)

So, it's not outside of reason to assume at one point between 1999 to present they at the very least considered re-releasing one or more different versions of it seeing how they spent time/effort and money working on it post the 1999 version...

We have the strangely mixed leaks of Oh My God, Silkworms, Going Down, and Atlas is rumored to be out there with Bumblefoot's guitar isolated in one channel. These exist for a reason, though I'm not sure if anyone really knows what they were for.

17 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

There is evidence in the form of a leaked screenshot that includes Tonto in a list of songs for CD2. The list is a screen shot of an email from January 25, 2008 with the subject "CD2" and Tonto is listed as "Tonto V Br"

Do you still have this screenshot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR 1991 said:

What’s worse than GnR not releasing music?

People in this thread making it seem like Oh My God is ever getting re-released. It is NOT happening, just give it up and move on. The song was already released in 1999, I don’t care that they rehearsed it once in 2011, its not coming.

Exact same bullshit like how Pele insisted they were re-releasing KOHD. The most annoying trend in this long ass thread.

If they did release OMG again, they be grasping at straws. Won’t be received any differently now vs ‘99 - it wouldn’t surprise me if the “band” tinkered with it because Axl was MIA - gave them something to do. 

Edited by Trin9498

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It was posted a few pages back (has also been posted quite a few times), but here it is

2008_012.jpg

I still have doubts about its authenticity, though.

If this is real, then I totally understand why cd2 never came out, and why we’re only getting six songs now, one at a time.

It’s basically just a studio EP mixed with a remix EP. I still woulda dug it, mind you, but I can see why the label wouldn’t.

idk about you guys, but these days, I just think of stuff like VR, Snakepit, SMKC, etc as “GnR by extension. For me, that new “blues” album slash is doing is “the new GnR album.”

i know Axl is not on any of that stuff, but at this point, it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t care anymore about having a big catalog to his name or not. It is what it is.

If you’re one of those “Axl or nothing” people, I’d recommend opening yourself up to AI-generated music and make your own playlists. It’s the best you’re gonna get, at this point…

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It was posted a few pages back (has also been posted quite a few times), but here it is

2008_012.jpg

I still have doubts about its authenticity, though.

I have zero doubt about the authenticity. 100% legit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

If this is real, then I totally understand why cd2 never came out, and why we’re only getting six songs now, one at a time.

It’s basically just a studio EP mixed with a remix EP. I still woulda dug it, mind you, but I can see why the label wouldn’t.

idk about you guys, but these days, I just think of stuff like VR, Snakepit, etc as “GnR by extension.” I know Axl is not on any of that stuff, but at this point, it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t care anymore about having a big catalog to his name or not. It is what it is.

If you’re one of those “Axl or nothing” people, I’d recommend opening yourself up to AI-generated music and make your own playlists. It’s the best you’re gonna get, at this point…

When AI gets good enough I would certainly be interested in how the 1st VR album would sound with Axl on vocals 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Does anyone remember when that screenshot started floating around the internet? Was it before 2019? If so, that proves it’s legit, cause we didn’t know about Perhaps and Nothing yet, as far as I remember.

It was definitely floating around pre-regrouping

13 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

It was definitely floating around pre-regrouping

Then it’s legit.

So basically CD2 was Cuban Skies, The General, Atlas, Soul Monster, Absurd, Thyme, Going Down, Tonto, Monstrosity (whatever the fuck that is), Nothing, Hard Skool, Perhaps, that acoustic version of KOHD, and Light My Fire.

And the remix album was Blood in the Water, Better Gone, TIL with rasp, Bumble’s OMG, some sorta remix of the title track that we’ve never heard, and then all the other remixes that leaked (If the World, Shackler’s, Sorry).

This is what Axl was talking about at that Golden Gods interview in 2014. Maybe some things are mixed up. Like maybe KOHD acoustic was supposed to be on the remix album, for instance. But for the most part, this has to be what they were planning.

It’s a shame they didn’t just drop all six songs they worked on in 2021 all at once. Then maybe they coulda moved on to some of these other ones and done a second EP. Oh well. At least we’re getting stuff. Slowly, but we’re getting it.

Edited by rocknroll41

41 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Does anyone remember when that screenshot started floating around the internet? Was it before 2019? If so, that proves it’s legit, cause we didn’t know about Perhaps and Nothing yet, as far as I remember.

I first saw that screen shot in 2011

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

yes, this is what I was thinking, the solos that were comped (and I'm not sure about the 95% figure Bumble gave, maybe it was less) were sections, not licks like you said. The 2006 TWAT leaks, one with the shorter Bucket outro and what made it to the final version do make me believe it was comped with a few full phrases.

Catcher might have been lick for lick though. Also, Robin said that the solos he came up with came pretty quickly like his SOD solo for example. 

there is so much we don't know about this. I would really like to know exactly how Chinese was constructed, but even some of Slash's solo work is comped like Safari Inn.

not the most organic approach if you're the guitar player and you're not the one who is doing the comping, but I think it makes sense when it comes to Axl and the album he wanted to make. He didn't have Slash anymore and he knew what he wanted which meant the solos had to contain some Gn'R type elements is my guess.

I've been writing stuff and I'm always comping the solos myself, it's just a lot easier. 

Wonder if Axl and Caram would have this with Slash. I doubt it, I think he has total control of his own input in the recordings now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

idk about you guys, but these days, I just think of stuff like VR, Snakepit, SMKC, etc as “GnR by extension. For me, that new “blues” album slash is doing is “the new GnR album.”

i know Axl is not on any of that stuff, but at this point, it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t care anymore about having a big catalog to his name or not. It is what it is.

I read an Slash interview he said had "scary" when llistened Axl sung "Fall to Pieces" with AI music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was thinking again about Mayhue’s claim that the (mythical) next album would be AFD leftovers and, while I still think he misspoke, I’m actually starting to prefer the idea of them working on songs like Aint Goin’ Down, Just Another Sunday, etc. over more ChiDem era stuff. I know that sounds crazy, but I guess I’m just getting nostalgic for that “sound.”

That said, I’ll take anything, at the end of the day. Just exercising the fun little what-if scenario in my head, is all.

Besides, I think when Duff said Axl has “zillions of songs,” he was talking about all the different eras, not just the ChiDem era.

If we’re talking strictly AFD times, what do they have to work with? Aint Goin Down, Just Another Sunday, Crash Diet (they would have to buy the rights back), Too Much Too Soon (kinda corny but can still work), Bring It Back Home (kinda morphed into Slither but can still work)… I can’t really see them doing anything with Sentimental Movie. And songs like Cornshucker and It Tastes Good are obviously out of the question. We also don’t know if Axl ever wrote lyrics to Nightcrawler (despite it morphing into Speed Parade). Canter did say that Axl wanted to use a few Snakepit songs as recently as 2001, though, so make of that what you will.

Ive never heard those Hollywood Rose songs like Rock N Roll Rose, Rock N Roll Survivor, Bloodshot Eyes, etc. So I can’t comment on those.

Edited by rocknroll41