09/12/23 - Knoxville, TN - Thompson-Boling Arena

downzy

A song is missing from one show and everyone immediately assumes it's been 'dropped' 😂 Way to overreact. Mr. Brownstone wasn't played at one show this year, that's not been dropped!

Look, all I'm saying is let's not jump to conclusions based on the events of ONE show

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

37 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

I actually heard Perhaps twice on Sirius and once on local radio today...then they play a show and don't play it. 

I have heard perhaps on Sirius radio more than I heard hard skool and absurd combined.  

I guess Axl just wasn't up to it tonight!  I'm sure it'll be back in the set soon. I mean if he still is willing to play better lmao

12 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I have heard perhaps on Sirius radio more than I heard hard skool and absurd combined.  

I guess Axl just wasn't up to it tonight!  I'm sure it'll be back in the set soon. I mean if he still is willing to play better lmao

No doubt, it's not going anywhere. I was just surprised to actually hear it three times today, once on Carrie Underwood's channel. 

• Like 1

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Bad Obsession, Chinese Democracy, Slither, Rumble/Welcome To The Jungle, Pretty Tied Up, Reckless Life, Mr. Brownstone, Estranged, Hard Skool, Double Talkin’ Jive, Live And Let Die, Absurd, Rocket Queen, Down On The Farm, You Could Be Mine, T.V. Eye, Street Of Dreams, Anything Goes, Civil War/(Voodoo Child), Band Introductions, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O’ Mine, November Rain, Wichita Lineman, Better, Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, Nightrain
Encore: People Get Ready/Coma, Patience, Paradise City

(HTGTH)

8 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

He sounds like he has sounded the whole year tbh.

If that’s the case, and people on this forum are to be believed, he’s sounding both THE GREATEST and THE WORST ever. This is just what he sounds like now folks, and you can believe whatever you choose to believe. Someone above said “standard Axl now” and tbh, that’s a very realistic outlook.

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

The basic rule is, someone goes to a show, has a good time, then says "best time I've ever seen them, as good as 2006, sure he wasn't good at the gig before which I didn't go to, or the one following it, but at the gig I went to he was phenomenal and it was special". 

Then you have loads of people watching shitty camera phone footage which sounds awful saying Axl sounds appalling now. Until they pay their own money to go to a show, where they revert to the position above.

The reality is, as usual, somewhere in between. 

I think that's lumping too many fans into one group, and from what I can tell, most fans that visit this forum are pretty good at giving an honest critic when it comes to Axl's voice, even with the excitement of being in the venue in person and having a good time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think that's lumping too many fans into one group, and from what I can tell, most fans that visit this forum are pretty good at giving an honest critic when it comes to Axl's voice, even with the excitement of being in the venue in person and having a good time.

Yeah, that's a generalisation I'm making- but it is something that seems to happen a lot. 

I'd say too that most people are fairly realistic, but the old adage is definitely true that it 'sounds better when you're there'. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

The basic rule is, someone goes to a show, has a good time, then says "best time I've ever seen them, as good as 2006, sure he wasn't good at the gig before which I didn't go to, or the one following it, but at the gig I went to he was phenomenal and it was special". 

Then you have loads of people watching shitty camera phone footage which sounds awful saying Axl sounds appalling now. Until they pay their own money to go to a show, where they revert to the position above.

The reality is he hasn’t sounded good in a a long time. Has nothing to do with camera phones, recordings, mix issues at the venue, venue acoustics etc. For me, it kills the experience, but that’s just me. I don’t expect others to feel the same way. It is what it is at this point. I do feel though at the end of the day, if people leave a show satisfied, that’s all that really matters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

And to think you use to fall into “the other” camp. But this year you ponied up and actually went to show VS watching you tube.

Seriously I’m very proud of you :-)

27 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

Thanks!! I think he sounds average 2023, not great and not terribly bad. He needs recovery, too much touring is taking a toll on ol' Axl

I did some quick sampling through that video and I agree.  He basically sounds the same as he has in other videos from this year.  I think some people have an expectation bias due to the illness that his voice was going to be completely shot so they think he sounds worse than the prior shows.  I don't really hear much difference and I don't think that the "illness" was a significant vocal issue.  A vocal issue that would have caused a cancellation a day before a show would not have allowed him to sing for 3+ hours 4 days later.  Assuming it was Axl, I think he was just sick like a normal person gets too sick to work sometimes.

• Like 4