08/21/23 - Boston, MA - Fenway Park

downzy

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Bad Obsession (with Chrissie Hynde on harmonica), Chinese Democracy, Slither, Welcome To The Jungle, Hard Skool, Reckless Life, Pretty Tied Up, Double Talkin’ Jive, Perhaps, Absurd, Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Estranged, Live And Let Die, T.V. Eye, This I Love, Anything Goes, Civil War/(Voodoo Child), Band Introductions, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O’ Mine, November Rain, Patience, Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, Nightrain, Paradise City

(HTGTH)

Bad Obsession with Chrissie Hynde on the harmonica. Great 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Just watched Bad Obsession with Chrissie, have to say it's one of the coolest things they've done in years. She's great!

She should just come out and do that every night....we missed the harmonica and now it's back! Brilliant and seemed like a bit of trip her performing on stage for Axl and Slash especially! Axl seems extra courteous when he has a woman on stage with him these days....great moment 👍

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

Axl's take 2 of Perhaps is an imporvement in the right direction, shiity video sound from miles away in tough weather conditions so hard to judge properly....he used deep voice for a few more of the sustained "haaaaaaaeeeeeys"...I guess it's gonna be his thing not to do the last line or perhaps after all that chorus he's outta gas...same in first half of song! Someone, i.e Melissa needs to take that line with duff...so it takes the gap away and then it's cooking...or just write a slight delay into it at the end so he can deliver it himself....considering almost nobody thought he attempt the chorus live and in fact it was being stated quite matter-of-fact that Axl would only be doing the "All Alone" bits live and those samples Melissa was queuing in soundcheck would be what we hear instead, so I myself am quite impressed/satisfied early doors already that that isn't the case...it will only get better as he feels more at home with the song...I'll be interested for example to hear how Perhaps take 10 sounds! He also seems pretty into doing it and with it being "new" material, that's cool...

1 hour ago, downzy said:

So there was a possibility Wichita Lineman and It’s So Easy gets played twice?

🤪

Yea...just original set list and then they work out decided on the night...it's interesting that sadly Michelle and Nice Boys basically got dropped night one (Michelle once more...) Which a shame as he sings Nice Boys well still...

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

He shouldn't go falsetto/mickey for the second verse like that and should leave the shouting vocals to Duff and Melissa.  It'd be better if he sang it with his normal talking voice up until "you're all alone now"

• Like 2

Maybe I am hearing wrong but this show seems one of the best Axl performance on this tour, Reckless sounds incredibly raspy, Jungle average but a little bit better than other shows,  This I Love pretty solid even the outro of Rocket Queen seems to be better than other shows

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I really had a great time at this show. This was my 9th GNR show going back to 2010!

I said the same thing in 2021, but you really don’t notice vocal issues in person much. I’m not saying YouTube magically makes things sound bad, it’s just when you have the live mix, natural reverb, volume, etc, it all makes for a completely acceptable (and beyond) performance. They really are still a force to be reckoned with live. You get your money’s worth with live GNR and there are few stadium/arena legacy hard rock bands that perform on this level in terms of energy and show length.

Axl- Overall, Axl did a killer job imo. Sometimes he would do the “mush voice” (where the rasp and high pitched notes come through live and he hits the notes, but the words aren’t very clear), but he was really giving it his all. It’s incredible the dude can still hit some of the notes he does with the power required. A good example was the end of Anything Goes, holy cow was I impressed. There were lots of great vocal moments in a live setting. He had a superb energy, was relatively talkative, and probably looked the best I’ve seen him going back to 2010. It’s wild he can still perform at this level at his age. The vocals may not be 2016, but that is okay. He gets MVP of the night for me

Slash- There isn’t much to say about Slash that I haven’t been saying since forever. The dude kills it, live. For all the bitching about shredding or whatever, it doesn’t matter at all live. Slash belongs in GNR. The end. I loved the 3 NuGNR shows I saw and cherish those memories, but it’s just a massive need to have Slash up there in his rightful place. He’s basically another frontman. Killer tone, last night. He changed up the second Estranged solo, again, but it was really cool in the rain. I actually loved his TiL solo, too. When they started the song, I was bracing for a mess based on all the “SlAsH SuCkS oN TiL” posts over the years (I always thought it was great in 2016, then it got meh), and I haven’t heard newer versions. It was one of the best solos of the night, he made his guitar scream. Perhaps solo was pretty cool, live. I liked it with the added power and saturation of being live and with that rig. He had a tiny flub at the start of the NR solo and maybe SCOM (or slightly out of tune), but other than that, flawless. 

Rest of the band- Duff is Duff. TV Eye was cool, and I dig the Stooges. They are wisely utilizing backing vocals a lot more this tour. I think it’s smart to do to help Axl out. Axl is very much still singing all his parts, and the added Melissa and Duff vocals help fill the sound and help Axl. New vocal arrangements freshen up some tunes like Civil War imo. As a guitar nerd, Fortus’ tone is absolutely amazing and he is such a good compliment to Slash. They use him just enough imo, and his RQ and KoHD solos are great (another duet like WYWH would be neat). Frank sounded fine. Drum tone was not tinny or overpowering. Dizzy played piano.

Setlist- Fuck yeah. 6 songs (not including covers) that I’ve never gotten before- Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, Reckless Life, Perhaps, Hard Skool, and Anything Goes. Free first half of the show was super exciting for me because of the deep cuts and new songs. After following this band religiously since 2006 or 2007, it was surreal getting Hard Skool and Perhaps. I really dug HS live, in particular. The classic songs all killed, too. Harmonica on BO, I love PTU, and the vocals on Reckless and AG were a treat. I would have died if they played TWAT or Locomotive, but I really can’t complain with the setlist. This refresh was so needed. New classic songs AND new songs, it is what we have been wanting for years and years.

My one big setlist complaint is fucking Silkworms. As soon as they did Absurd it killed the energy for me briefly. As a novelty, it was goofy in 2021, but man this song sucks and it sucks live. Hearing Axl shout those garbage lyrics in full clarity and repeating them 3 times is a total miss. The guitars were changed live and were cool, but it still is awful. Other than that, I enjoyed every song.

One of my favorites of the night was shockingly Slither. I never thought Axl sounded great on Slither, and he probably didn’t last night- but the monsoon rain started coming right during Slither and it was magic. It carried into Jungle and made everything super memorable.

Misc- Saw them with a really good college friend I don’t get to see much. She was exhausted and doesn’t know GNR but she tougher it out so we could hang. She left early cause she was tired from work, but she was really impressed with the band. Met another friend after a which all made for a great night . It’s always fun to see GNR in another city, and the Boston crowd killed my native Detroit crowd. Maybe it was the rain, but the energy in Fenway was electric. Sound and seats were also fantastic. All the horror stories of Fenway didn’t pan out for me. I loved the venue. Great to be in such a historical ball park

Overall, fucking killer show. I had fun in 2021, but this was a better show on every level. Fresh setlist, new songs, great performance and energy. What a great night, so glad the stars aligned and I got to see them this tour 

Edit- I forgot! I caught the second half of The Pretenders and dug their set! Great opener choice this tour

Totally agree about everything except absurd, I enjoy that song.

I was dead middle on turf B4 and the sound quality was excellent.  The rain made for an AWESOME vibe and made it super memorable.  Agree that the peak rain during slither made it really cool, especially with some of the stage lighting fully displaying how hard it was raining. 

Saw Axl in 2006 and 2016.  While I was most impressed by 2006 abilities, he sounded hust as good tonight as he did in 2016 (the one exception is that jungle sounded better in 16). Overall,  great show, can't wait to see them again at some point.

• Like 2

Just now, kozydogg said:

Totally agree about everything except absurd, I enjoy that song.

I was dead middle on turf B4 and the sound quality was excellent.  The rain made for an AWESOME vibe and made it super memorable.  Agree that the peak rain during slither made it really cool, especially with some of the stage lighting fully displaying how hard it was raining. 

Saw Axl in 2006 and 2016.  While I was most impressed by 2006 abilities, he sounded hust as good tonight as he did in 2016 (the one exception is that jungle sounded better in 16). Overall,  great show, can't wait to see them again at some point.

You were right with me then, we were row 12!