08/15/23 - East Rutherford, NJ - Metlife Stadium

downzy

Q. (And this isn’t the right place) But how often is Axl using his ‘mid register’ voice? As in the one he seems to use in the Patience outro, which the morphs to ‘falsetto’/Mickey. He uses it for Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied, DOTF too. This to my ears does not sound good, the tone is not good, and it doesn’t sound anything like the ‘90s version, it’s half talking and half singing. For me Axl is an amazing singer, and when he’s using this shouting voice it’s a turn off, particularly when it morphs into falsetto, it’s distracting. It’s strange to me that it’s this very voice that people are praising as sounding great, and just like old Axl. It’s certainly not a voice I’d be paying the going asking price to turn up to listen to.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Q. (And this isn’t the right place) But how often is Axl using his ‘mid register’ voice? As in the one he seems to use in the Patience outro, which the morphs to ‘falsetto’/Mickey. He uses it for Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied, DOTF too. This to my ears does not sound good, the tone is not good, and it doesn’t sound anything like the ‘90s version, it’s half talking and half singing. For me Axl is an amazing singer, and when he’s using this shouting voice it’s a turn off, particularly when it morphs into falsetto, it’s distracting. It’s strange to me that it’s this very voice that people are praising as sounding great, and just like old Axl. It’s certainly not a voice I’d be paying the going asking price to turn up to listen to.

You mean his natural voice? He uses it more these days, because people have been begging him to use that voice more. Without a doubt his natural voice is much stronger these days compared to the falsetto type voice. Unfortunately his high pitched (Mickey) voice is pretty weak these days. That's why people want him to sing DOTF type songs more cause he sounds stronger on those type of songs. That natural voice is not the signature voice that people usually associate with Axl, so it's understandable that it doesn't sound good to some people like for example you. But his high pitched voice doesn't really sound the same as it did in the 90's, so many people want to rather hear a strong lower pitched voice than his Mickey voice.

The only way Axl could please all GNR fans would be if he got his old voice back, but obviously that's not possible. He is much older now. So some people want him to use his lower voice more these days. Some people want to hear the high pitched voice even if that voice is much weaker these days. He does what he can to please everyone. He hasn't abandoned the high pitched voice completely, but he tries to sing more with his natural voice.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

It's not exactly the same voice in the Patience outro and the other songs you mention. He sings the Patience outro in his natural low register but with distortion (like in some parts of the CD title track, for example, whist in Bad Obsession etc. it's just his natural clean voice), and then switches to mickey for the high notes in the end (the "oooh I need you.... this time" part).

1 hour ago, ax1 said:

One thing that bothered me was all the pot smoke blowing all over the place, I mean I dont care if people want to smoke but come on there are other people that have to 2nd hand smoke that including Children!!!! I saw young kids watching people smoking bowls with a curiosity look on there face. Im not one to snitch and ruin a good time, just venting on here.

This is a rock show buddy people smoking pot should be expected obviously I think it would have no place in a Taylor Swift gig for example.  But being surprised or disappointed at people smoking pot? That's surprising to me and maybe the children shouldn't be at a GNR rock show.  To thousands of people in the world GNR IS rock and roll.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, B5Redeye said:

Those (at least time I checked) was the VIP sofas behind the pit which comes with drink service. And there was only 1 pair. 

I believe they were $2k a piece when released. It was what I was hoping for but by time my number came up on TM they were all gone.

I’m keeping an eye on tix for that show. As of right now I have pit tickets but I may buy another pair. Not sure I can make it 5 hours standing 😑

No, not $2k.  $730 face for The Couches. ($850.78 each after fees/taxes.)

46 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's not exactly the same voice in the Patience outro and the other songs you mention. He sings the Patience outro in his natural low register but with distortion (like in some parts of the CD title track, for example, whist in Bad Obsession etc. it's just his natural clean voice), and then switches to mickey for the high notes in the end (the "oooh I need you.... this time" part).

Good answer, thanks. That Patience voice is horrible. Whilst his PTU, Bad Obsession voice isn’t this exactly he doesn’t sound good on them IMO. I don’t think the band sound particularly good on them either, PTU outro is a bit messy, on the Ritz he sings “she’s the right one”, we’re not hearing much of that on this version, just “Pretty tied up” over and over again (in their defense the song doesn’t really have a proper outro on the album as it fades to end).

All this aside I’m not hearing a particularly good tone from Axl this year, he sounds a bit off, and tuneless. I spoke to someone at Glastonbury (not a fan as such), he enjoyed Guns, but remarked negatively on his voice, which I found insightful (someone actually at the show). He’s struggled a bit on these runs I’m forced to say. Even Witchita he doesn’t sound good on which I’ve held as a high water mark these past few years.

• GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

This is a rock show buddy people smoking pot should be expected obviously I think it would have no place in a Taylor Swift gig for example.  But being surprised or disappointed at people smoking pot? That's surprising to me and maybe the children shouldn't be at a GNR rock show.  To thousands of people in the world GNR IS rock and roll.

Yeah I was surprised as Ive been to a ton of sporting events at similar facilities and nobody smokes in the stands....last night was my 3rd concert, Metallica at Metlife Stadium last week was my 2nd which also had people smoking. My first was GNR in 2017 Hershey Park and nobody smoked that I saw in their little football stadium, so yeah yeah Im was surprised. I was more expecting that if it was some park or something.

All is well obviously my Metallica experience didnt stop me from going again and I do what I can to protect myself without being a dickhead, I still want people to have fun.

Before Im called a "casual fan" keep in mind Ive been a GNR fan since 1987 watching Headbangers Ball as a kid and nobody in my High School during  91-95 grunge/alternative yearswas a open GNR fan like I was, I was the only guy playing GNR on guitar in the music room and I didnt give a crap what people thought of me, I stuck with my #1!!!! Hershey Park concert was a dream come true for me!

• Thanks 1

I have mixed feelings about Axl screaming these days, although I accept, appreciate and love him for being on stage and making it happen even when he goes Mickey on us. What I can say is I thought he did his best screaming his ass off on Reckless Life last night, but damn I never seen his head and face so close to explosion lol.

He really worked hard last night and unlike 2017 Hershey Park, he was running all over the place and hopping around non-stop, he is sure more fit that 6 years ago and its good to see him a little closer to his older form as a stage beast. He also appears much leaner, he actually wore a vest that exposed his belly a bit but I dont think he was ready for that one yet :)

Edited by ax1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

You mean his natural voice? He uses it more these days, because people have been begging him to use that voice more. Without a doubt his natural voice is much stronger these days compared to the falsetto type voice. Unfortunately his high pitched (Mickey) voice is pretty weak these days. That's why people want him to sing DOTF type songs more cause he sounds stronger on those type of songs. That natural voice is not the signature voice that people usually associate with Axl, so it's understandable that it doesn't sound good to some people like for example you. But his high pitched voice doesn't really sound the same as it did in the 90's, so many people want to rather hear a strong lower pitched voice than his Mickey voice.

The only way Axl could please all GNR fans would be if he got his old voice back, but obviously that's not possible. He is much older now. So some people want him to use his lower voice more these days. Some people want to hear the high pitched voice even if that voice is much weaker these days. He does what he can to please everyone. He hasn't abandoned the high pitched voice completely, but he tries to sing more with his natural voice.

Thanks. That’s what I’m hearing. Unfortunately I’m experiencing a double whammy of a weaker, and less tuneful high pitched (Mickey) voice and more prominence given to this “natural” voice as you call it, neither of which I’m enjoying particularly. The thing is always felt the mega high prices were some what justified on now great they all are/were. Now we have Axl shouting (that’s what that Patience outro sounds like to me) and a nothing special “natural” deeper voice used for Bad Obsession etc, and Slash playing what ever he wants in place of November Rain solos. 

I don’t think, after the novelty wore off, that the setlist changes are helping. Ironically it’s taken these changes for me to lose interest. PTU, Bad Obsession, DOTF don’t sound good to me, in 2023. 

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

Oh and I think you’re right about all of this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Good answer, thanks. That Patience voice is horrible. Whilst his PTU, Bad Obsession voice isn’t this exactly he doesn’t sound good on them IMO. I don’t think the band sound particularly good on them either, PTU outro is a bit messy, on the Ritz he sings “she’s the right one”, we’re not hearing much of that on this version, just “Pretty tied up” over and over again (in their defense the song doesn’t really have a proper outro on the album as it fades to end).

All this aside I’m not hearing a particularly good tone from Axl this year, he sounds a bit off, and tuneless. I spoke to someone at Glastonbury (not a fan as such), he enjoyed Guns, but remarked negatively on his voice, which I found insightful (someone actually at the show). He’s struggled a bit on these runs I’m forced to say. Even Witchita he doesn’t sound good on which I’ve held as a high water mark these past few years.

Is the Patience voice worse for you than the "mickey" voice?

I like it (I mean it mostly in comparison to how he sings other songs these days, and not how he sounded many years ago), but to each their own.

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Is the Patience voice worse for you than the "mickey" voice?

I like it (I mean it mostly in comparison to how he sings other songs these days, and not how he sounded many years ago), but to each their own.

I haven’t had much of a problem with the Mickey voice in this era, I think there’s been a warm tone to it in the most part. It’s worked perfectly for SCOM and even Nightrain I haven’t minded. This has been Mickey with some power, and tone (neither of which I’d say he had towards the end of New Guns). Mickey for me for the most part has been fine, and enjoyable, maybe I’ve been lucky in that respect, because now I’m not enjoying his voice so much, and am generally less enthusiastic about the band, and don’t feel compelled to travel to see them.

That shouty Patience voice I feel like turning off the tv too, so to speak.

31 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

I haven’t had much of a problem with the Mickey voice in this era, I think there’s been a warm tone to it in the most part. It’s worked perfectly for SCOM and even Nightrain I haven’t minded. This has been Mickey with some power, and tone (neither of which I’d say he had towards the end of New Guns). Mickey for me for the most part has been fine, and enjoyable, maybe I’ve been lucky in that respect, because now I’m not enjoying his voice so much, and am generally less enthusiastic about the band, and don’t feel compelled to travel to see them.

That shouty Patience voice I feel like turning off the tv too, so to speak.

Yeah, his "mickey" voice used to be passable in some cases. It still has its few moments - for example, Axl can still hold that note in the end of Patience ("this time") and you can see it in his face that he's proud of it - but other than that, it's very weak, unfortunately. Not only unlistenable, but sometimes inaudible, too.

• Like 1

I attended.... glad I went.  I've said it before the band needs to retire songs like You Could Be Mine.  I was happy to hear Reckless Life, but that one was rough.  Anything Goes was cringe. Catcher in the Rye was brutal. Hard Skool is atrocious.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Because it says A LOT when one player is speaking honestly about another player, especially when they know each other personally. 

What does it say?? It says the one guitarist has a different opinion/preference than then other. That's all it says.

Full show is up on YouTube. Thought Catcher sounded OK, was happy when they swapped out SoD for it in 2013, was highlight for me then and in 2014. Slash's solo a bit better than the one he played at Houston 2016 which I watched for comparison, but will always love how Bumblefoot played the solo live 2013-14. I liked Slash's outro guitar playing.

Anyone know what guitar this is? Slash used it for Catcher, has he used it for any other songs live?

Screenshot2023-08-17at00_58_02.thumb.png.2f74ab7852ec97e944d9c5dc3067e53c.png

8 minutes ago, Amir said:

Full show is up on YouTube. Thought Catcher sounded OK, was happy when they swapped out SoD for it in 2013, was highlight for me then and in 2014. Slash's solo a bit better than the one he played at Houston 2016 which I watched for comparison, but will always love how Bumblefoot played the solo live 2013-14. I liked Slash's outro guitar playing.

Anyone know what guitar this is? Slash used it for Catcher, has he used it for any other songs live?

It's a Firebird, he's been using it for Catcher since 2016 I think. He's got a signature one with Epiphone, but I assume he's playing a Gibson live. Pretty sure he used it on another song in 2016-17 but I can't remember which one...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Amir said:

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's a Firebird, he's been using it for Catcher since 2016 I think. He's got a signature one with Epiphone, but I assume he's playing a Gibson live. Pretty sure he used it on another song in 2016-17 but I can't remember which one...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Gibson did a custom shop Firebird for him when they released the Epiphone version. There’s actually two different finishes for the custom shop release 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Amir said:

Down on the farm. And usually for the Duff sung songs. He used it on I wanna be your dog last year.

• Thanks 1