07/05/23 - Bern, CH - BERNEXPO

downzy

22 hours ago, VeeR said:

5:11 Axl belting out those notes

And it sounded great at 3:04 when he switched to his lower register (until then he was struggling). He could sing that whole part like that and it would sound very powerful. Same with Locomotive (he also struggled there, judging from the twitter clip).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

It must have been irritating for the crowd to not have pee break this time.

Was not (and we still could use Lineman for that purpose). Didn't even notice KOHD was missing, until I sat in my car. Locomotive both at soundcheck and for real. There was a time. Unlike Oslo, Shadow of your love, Patience and Don't cry. No complaints from my end. 

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

And it sounded great at 3:04 when he switched to his lower register (because he was struggling). He could sing that whole part like that and it would sound very powerful. Same with Locomotive (he also struggled there, judging from the twitter clip).

I'm not a singer, but why he doesnt use his low range on Locomotive and TWAT? 

7 minutes ago, FabioRoses said:

I'm not a singer, but why he doesnt use his low range on Locomotive and TWAT? 

I'm not a singer either and wonder about that, too. I think it would be absolutely "legit" for him to use his lower voice on  Locomotive and the "It was a long time for you..." part of TWAT and it would sound much better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not a singer either and wonder about that, too. I think it would be absolutely "legit" for him to use his lower voice on  Locomotive and the "It was a long time for you..." part of TWAT and it would sound much better.

Locomotive would sound great if Axl and Melissa harmonized like they do on CD, Pretty Tied Up, Sorry... he should definitely use his lower voice for Locomotive, and get rid of that backing track in the chorus. TWAT has always kind of been a disaster in the verses, it's cool they play it occasionally but there's several other deep cuts I'd pick over it, and I'm a huge CD fan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Locomotive would sound great if Axl and Melissa harmonized like they do on CD, Pretty Tied Up, Sorry... he should definitely use his lower voice for Locomotive, and get rid of that backing track in the chorus. TWAT has always kind of been a disaster in the verses, it's cool they play it occasionally but there's several other deep cuts I'd pick over it, and I'm a huge CD fan.

I think they should do Madagascar and Catcher a lot more than they actually do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I watched Locomotive from the two Spanish shows, and the pre-chorus and chorus sounded great with his lower voice. He could use it in the verses, too and sound better (although he doesn't sound too bad as is, all things considered - definitely better than on Coma). I couldn't hear the backing track on these videos but I know it's there and yeah, I don't understand why it's needed.

Edited by Blackstar

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I watched Locomotive from the two Spanish shows, and the pre-chorus and chorus sounded great with his lower voice. He could use it in the verses, too and sound better (although he doesn't sound too bad as is, all things considered). I couldn't hear the backing track but I know it's there and yeah, I don't understand why it's needed.

If Melissa could add some grit to her voice, I wouldn't mind Axl ducking some high notes... I basically want what Coverdale/Tyler does and hire a singer who sounds like their younger selves. However, PTU is just lifeless as is, and I think even though Locomotive doesn't sound great now, it would be a complete bore if Axl sang in his lower range throughout... the verses? yes, I see no reason for mickey there. Not going up on the chorus is an anti climax, the music is asking for that lift and when it doesn't get it, it just nose dives. I know his lower range is still intact and technically he'd sound strong, but the music suffers. Instead of sing low. Just practice it, work out a way to sing it while not completely altering how it's supposed to sound. If it's too high or too low, then tune the guitars down, use a capo relearn the song in a different position; songs do not have to stay in the original key live for all time.

As for backing tracks, I think we all agree they should not be used. Melissa/Duff/Dizzy can cover whatever is needed. They seem to be creeping in, and it makes no sense to me.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

If Melissa could add some grit to her voice, I wouldn't mind Axl ducking some high notes... I basically want what Coverdale/Tyler does and hire a singer who sounds like their younger selves. However, PTU is just lifeless as is, and I think even though Locomotive doesn't sound great now, it would be a complete bore if Axl sang in his lower range throughout... the verses? yes, I see no reason for mickey there. Not going up on the chorus is an anti climax, the music is asking for that lift and when it doesn't get it, it just nose dives. I know his lower range is still intact and technically he'd sound strong, but the music suffers. Instead of sing low. Just practice it, work out a way to sing it while not completely altering how it's supposed to sound. If it's too high or too low, then tune the guitars down, use a capo relearn the song in a different position; songs do not have to stay in the original key live for all time.

As for backing tracks, I think we all agree they should not be used. Melissa/Duff/Dizzy can cover whatever is needed. They seem to be creeping in, and it makes no sense to me.

For me neither PTU nor Locomotive "need" the higher register in the sense that they would lack for energy or strength without it. The studio version of Locomotive has layered vocals and Axl can sing only one of them live anyway, so why not sing the lower one and let the higher one to Melissa.

I think it would be better to save what's left of his higher register for the songs and parts that really need it, e.g. Rocket Queen and the second part of Estranged (although even that one sounded good with his lower voice last year in London, but would lose something from the way it's supposed to sound).

I dont know why Axl insists in singing Locomotive in his falsetto voice.  He can easily sing the whole song (except for the bought me an illusion and you can use your illusion parts) with his regular tone. Not his deep Bad obsession voice, it’s more of a higher pitch chest voice without reaching to a falsetto

Fun moments, when everyone on stage and off stage got excited when someone in the front pulled out a toy dolphin... ehm, turns out it wasn't a toy dolphin, but dolphin masks...  during Estranged and when, after Axl warning people that it's gonna be loud, the Pain Train didn't work. :lol: Well, for the one guy responsible for it, the latter was terrifying when it didn't work. You could just see him go pale. ;) After Axl previously showed the middle finger to Jarmo and later explained that he shows his people that they are number 1, the way people always show Axl that he's number one, he quipped that the person responsible for the pain train is not number 1 anymore. And Gio and the other personell kinda approached the guy to wish him luck. :lol: Also when Axl sat on the chair next to Meegan for a while.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Fun moments, when everyone one stage and off stage got excited when someone in the front pulled out a toy dolphin during Estranged and when, after Axl warning people that it's gonna be loud, the Pain Train didn't work. :lol: Well, for the one guy responsible for it, the latter was terrifying when it didn't work. You could just see him go pale. ;) After Axl previously showed the middle finger to Jarmo and later explained that he shows his people that they are number 1, the way people always show Axl that he's number one, he quipped that the person responsible for the pain train is not number 1 anymore. And Gio and the other personell kinda approached the guy to wish him luck. :lol: Also when Axl sat on the chair next to Meegan for a while.

I really struggled reading this a few times and still can't understand what you said (English is not my mother tongue either)