All Things UK

janrichmond

8 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Hey, what about the Canada Cousins? Don’t give a toss about us, eh? :lol:

“Oh it’s the Canada Cousin..got a bit uppity, went off on it’s own. Forgot where it came from, it did! Well I for one won’t tolerate it. Pretend you don’t see it!’ 

:P

I'll change the title :lol:

• janrichmond changed the title to Are you gonna watch the King's Coronation
3 hours ago, alfierose said:

I don't really care but I probably will watch some of it because I've never seen one before. My Dad is 81 and can just about remember the last one - he was 11 I think.

Yay to 3 bank holidays in May though!

I'm gonna be working but I doubt I'd watch it anyway. I don't really watch the royal stuff like weddings and funerals. 

The 3 bank holidays are what I'm looking forward to :dance:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

Getting coronated sounds painful.   I don’t even know what that is 🤣

I'm pretty sure a Coronation is when  Prince Charles officially becomes King Charles.  He is technically as of this very moment still King Apparent and hasn't officially been coronated as King Charles yet. Like how the President Elect formally becomes The President on January 20th.😀

Edited by Karice

7 hours ago, Karice said:

I'm pretty sure a Coronation is when  Prince Charles officially becomes King Charles.  He is technically as of this very moment still King Apparent and hasn't officially been coronated as King Charles yet. Like how the President Elect formally becomes The President on January 20th.😀

I was being a bit sarcastic there as you don’t get coronated, you get crowned. Coronate means crown which is where coronation comes from, but there’s no such word or meaning to ‘coronated’.  It’s one of those internet made up words, like albumed.

Edited by Oxford

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

I was being a bit sarcastic there as you don’t get coronated, you get crowned. Coronate means crown which is where coronation comes from, but there’s no such word or meaning to ‘coronated’.  It’s one of those internet made up words, like albumed.

thank you for oxfording

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

According to Merriam-Webster 'to coronate' is an English verb: Coronate Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

According to Merriam-Webster 'to coronate' is an English verb: Coronate Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

“Coronation” is the noun, and comes from “corona” – relating to a crown. But “coronate” is an incorrect back formation of “coronation”.   Coronated is not a word. 

955002E1-5B1B-4CD9-845C-F2CB182742A5.png

Albumed is when you’ve received an LP as a gift. 

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

I think someone from GBNews must be a member here.  They’ve literally just been talking about this very subject about people using the made up words coronate and coronated, in reference to the coronation.  🤣🤣🤣. In short Chuck is going to be crowned at his coronation.  And not in a street in Manchester either, which apparently some Twitter users think 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think someone from GBNews must be a member here.  They’ve literally just been talking about this very subject about people using the made up words coronate and coronated, in reference to the coronation.  🤣🤣🤣. In short Chuck is going to be crowned at his coronation.  And not in a street in Manchester either, which apparently some Twitter users think 🤣

But isn't Merriam-Webster like the authority on the English language? 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

For undergraduate-level university essays, maybe...

Also, hereditary succession in the 21st Century can get in the bin. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think that's an American dictionary. In England, we were taught using the Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'd rather shit in my hands and clap! :lol: 

You usually do that anyway :lol:

• Like 1