Josh Freese announced as new drummer for Foo Fighters

11 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Dave Grohl’s Nirvana heritage can work for or against him. If Foo Fighters were around back in 1991, playing stadiums off the back of their latter albums, at some point Kurt Cobain would have said they were everything he hated about music and Dave and Krist would have nodded politely in agreement.

That’s because Cobain was an absolute twit who hated everything…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, B5Redeye said:

Ah, for the “new album” yes. My point was more toward the excuse people cite as the reason they don’t go to GNR shows.

That and ticket prices, which again is a farce. If you go see any “big name” these are the prices you pay 9/10 times.

That's a valid reason not to go to shows though... it's basically the same thing they've been doing for years but the singer is worse every year.

Ticket prices are a legit reason too. If all the big bands are charging hundreds for tickets then most people aren't gonna see many big names each year, they'll pick a band that gives a better value for the ticket price. There's a reason the North American shows aren't selling...

• GNFNR 1

58 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That's a valid reason not to go to shows though... it's basically the same thing they've been doing for years but the singer is worse every year.

Ticket prices are a legit reason too. If all the big bands are charging hundreds for tickets then most people aren't gonna see many big names each year, they'll pick a band that gives a better value for the ticket price. There's a reason the North American shows aren't selling...

I mean I get that it’s a valid reason…my point was they come out with “new music”, “these people” go, then come back on here and say Axl can’t sing.

I guess some people are like that, with regards to ticket prices, that’s just not me….picking a random band for less money.

It’s like going out to dinner. I’d rather spend $200 for 2 going to a nice restaurant I know I’ll enjoy VS let’s say, spending $60 at Applebees, Longhorn, etc.

I’d personally rather pay more and go see a band I know I love. But that’s just me.

Edited by B5Redeye

1 minute ago, B5Redeye said:

I mean I get that it’s a valid reason…my point was they come out with “new music”, “these people” go, then come back on here and say Axl can’t sing.

I mean I guess some people are like that, with regards to ticket prices, that’s just not me….picking a random band for less money.

It’s like going out to dinner. I’d rather spend $200 for 2 going to a nice restaurant I know I’ll enjoy VS let’s say, spending $60 at Applebees, Longhorn, etc.

I’d personally rather pay more and go see a band I know I love. But that’s just me.

I wasn't trying to say most people would see cheaper shows instead, but for example if GNR, Aerosmith and RHCP were all coming to my city, GNR would be at the bottom of my ticket priority list. Judging by ticket sales, most people would say the same. I actually have tickets to see GNR in October but I went with relatively cheap tickets this time, can't be bothered trying to get front row or pay 4x the price for GA.

As far as new music, I'm glad they actually released Hardschool and Absurd even though I listen to the demos more often... but Hardschool was one of their worst live songs last year. There's no nice way to say it, the song is a disaster live. Hopefully they release something that Axl can still sing live, like Perhaps.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 1:55 PM, Cosmo said:

... there are literally thousands and thousands of amazing rock bands out there, that put out great stuff constantly.

Rock music is alive and well, it's in perfect state. It's just not what sells nowadays and it doesn't get any spotlight

Rock as a genre died for me in the late 90s.

QOTSA, Jack White, and FF are one of the few bands that actually release good, new music.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

That you know of, sure. 

How many rock albums from the last 20 years are on the same level as Revolver, Let it Bleed, Zoso, Who's Next, 1984, AFD, Nevermind, etc?  There are some classics, like Songs for the Deaf and I would argue A Different Kind of Truth, but they were released by established acts. But how many new bands formed since the 90s are on the same scale as The Stones and Zeppelin? By my count, zero. 

23 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

That’s because Cobain was an absolute twit who hated everything…

It certainly felt that way. Chris (Cornell)  had the most decent attitude  out of all those people , Chris and Andrew Wood. maybe Layne Staley. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

How many rock albums from the last 20 years are on the same level as Revolver, Let it Bleed, Zoso, Who's Next, 1984, AFD, Nevermind, etc?  There are some classics, like Songs for the Deaf and I would argue A Different Kind of Truth, but they were released by established acts. But how many new bands formed since the 90s are on the same scale as The Stones and Zeppelin? By my count, zero. 

That you Gene?

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Dude, with all due respect, you don't know 10% of the new bands out there. It's ok, neither do I. There are literally thousands of new bands releasing albums every year, and only a handful get some kind of media attention, label support and any kind of spotlight. But don't act like you've searched high and low for good music and haven't found it, because you haven't. And you won't find it by looking in the places people used to find them. It's just not how it works anymore.

People have made comments like that to me before and I think that it's nonsense. The idea that there are all these current bands on the same level as the Stones/Zeppelin, but are unnoticed is silly. 

3 hours ago, tboneman said:

Yep. Here's a example of a new band that I found last year. 

Not bad. I'd politely sit through them if they were an opening band. But it's generic. It's not the second coming of Aerosmith ffs. No one will be taking about this band or any other new rock band in 50 years. Rock as a genre had a good run, from the late 60s to the 90s, but it's not relevant anymore. 

4 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

dumbest thing i've read in a while

I know right? Let's name all the great modern classic rock albums from the last 20 years, that were formed by bands after the year 2000. Albums on the same level as AFD, Rocks, Back in Black, etc. Let's see...

• Haha 1

I think a pretty reasonable argument for why there can't be lots of fantastic but unknown rock bands around, is the fact that rock isn't dominating the music world now. That doesn't mean there aren't great rock bands around, just that there are less of them now than back in the 70s or 80s. The focus has shifted to other music styles, so obviously there are less rock bands being formed and then obviously there will be less fantastic rock bands. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

I know right? Let's name all the great modern classic rock albums from the last 20 years, that were formed by bands after the year 2000. Albums on the same level as AFD, Rocks, Back in Black, etc. Let's see...

LOL. Why not narrow it down even more? Maybe bands that start with G and end with uns n roses? You said there's no good rock since the 90s. There's plenty of rock bands (and hundrens of subgenres of rock) that have been releasing incredible music the past decade. if you don't know, then you must live under a rock

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

The idea that there are all these current bands on the same level as the Stones/Zeppelin, but are unnoticed is silly.

Agreed. If they were that level, they'd be front and centre. These bands may be good, but they're obviously not on the same level as those examples otherwise they'd be known.

And the rock is dead argument doesn't work for me here. Good music is good music. All of the 'legacy' acts that still tour always pull in good crowds, so there's clearly an appetite for that sort of music, it's just nobody's come along to match the legends... yet

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

LOL. Why not narrow it down even more? Maybe bands that start with G and end with uns n roses? You said there's no good rock since the 90s. There's plenty of rock bands (and hundrens of subgenres of rock) that have been releasing incredible music the past decade. if you don't know, then you must live under a rock

You make a very good point. It's the same with classical music. There are some who think that the days of Bach, Brahms, Beethoven, and Mozart are over, but they just haven't been looking.  There's plenty of classical music composers (and hundrens of subgenres of classical) that have been releasing incredible music the past decade. if you don't know, then you must live under a rock.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, tboneman said:

Yeah kinda pointless since I'm not gonna change anyone's mind. But from the top of my head:

- Arctic Monkeys - A.M

- Ghost - Meliora 

- The Killers - Hot Fuzz

Meh on the first one, Ghost and the Killers are alight. 

I would argue that Songs For the Deaf is the best rock album of the last 20 years. 

• Haha 1