Josh Freese announced as new drummer for Foo Fighters

57 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's a brilliant album. They should go back to collaborating with Josh Homme.

I agree. But they don't wanna try to repeat that album. It's like Axl with Appetite. For A.M kinda sounding albums there's also Catfish and the Bottlemen. Too bad I think they broke up or on hiatus right now. 

Edited by tboneman

@B5Redeye So good. The band sounded tight. Josh was a beast! If you haven’t seen the Foo live, you have to see them if you can - I was a casual fan when I first saw them in ‘18. I was sold after that show - Dave is a great showman. 

Edited by Trin9498
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

People have made comments like that to me before and I think that it's nonsense. The idea that there are all these current bands on the same level as the Stones/Zeppelin, but are unnoticed is silly. 

Do they need to be in the same level as Stones and Zeppelin? I mean… who is? 

9 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

I know right? Let's name all the great modern classic rock albums from the last 20 years, that were formed by bands after the year 2000. Albums on the same level as AFD, Rocks, Back in Black, etc. Let's see...

What exactly does "same level" mean though, if I may ask?

If part of your definition of it is worthiness/greatness based on their cultural impact, it doesn't matter how artistic or great a rock album made post-2000 is, rock music is not the most influential cultural style currently and so trying to find an album that can do the same exact big things as older albums from an older business model, older time, and older trends is a pointless game IMHO

There are tons of great albums being made nowadays in my opinion.  For me I don't look for anything to measure against older music, I just enjoy the music that speaks to me and I like listening to.  And in that respect there is so much great rock music out there being made still that I enjoy alongside Zeppelin and all the classics

Edited by WhazUp

there's still some classic album from time to time. 

"Villains" from Queens of the Stone Age, produced by Mike Ronson, is one of the very very best. incredible album.

but yeah, obviously, there's less and less. kids listened to rap a lot (and still do) then electro and shitty kind of pop we don't even called music. rock is a dangerous beast because it is anti-establishment by essence. it was the same with rap at the beginning but this element was quickly killed by money and fame and became too mainstream to maintain a credible social comment.

rock had the same kind of fate but every 10 years you had a new generation of musicians to kick the established ones in the nuts.
it doesn't exists anymore. 

why? because the train has probably decent wagons, but there's no locomotive.
where's the new Guns N'Roses? 
where's the new Nirvana? 
where's the new Radiohead? 
where's the new Oasis? 

we're stuck with the 90's bands with nobody enough talented to say to them "it's time to retire".
which is cool for them, they're still relevant after all these years.

Kurt suicide didn't arrange things. how is it possible to surpass that?
to have that kind of musical & social impact, then to disappear at your peak and becoming legend.

not a road a lot of millennials wants to go, I don't blame them. 
better listen to K-pop on Spotify and make videos on TikTok with cute animals. 

11 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

I know right? Let's name all the great modern classic rock albums from the last 20 years, that were formed by bands after the year 2000. Albums on the same level as AFD, Rocks, Back in Black, etc. Let's see...

That's kinda an impossible standard to be in the same sphere as those records. Let's be reasonable. 

The first Audioslave album is a fantastic record 

Ghost - Impera great record

Trivium - Ascendancy / In waves (on the harder side of things but two knock out records)

The Winery Dogs - Debut, great record.

QOTSA - Rated R (I know it's 24yrs old... let's not split hairs) absolute killer record

The Darkness - Permission to land. In my opinion one of the best debuts of all time alongside AFD. 

And I know they were almost 40years old at this point but... Clockwork Angels by Rush has to get a mention. Tried to keep to bands that were formed after 2000, but this album is currently on my radar again and it's fucking excellent, top to bottom!! and it was their final album. GNR take note!

Anyway, point is there's plenty of great and good rock music over the last 20yrs from new and old groups

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Trivium - In waves

I'm not a huge fan of their albums, but I saw them on that tour and they were great!

I'll add:

Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam

Claypool Lennon Delirium - South Of Reality

VOLA - Inmazes

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (by far their best album IMO)

Ninjaspy - Pi Nature

Vains Of Jenna - The Art Of Telling Lies

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - The Future

The Struts - Strange Days

Stop Light Observations - Toogoodoo

That's all I can be bothered to link, but if all someone can find from the last couple decades is Foo Fighters and fucking Qotsa then I don't know what to say, they're clearly not looking very hard for new music...

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm not a huge fan of their albums, but I saw them on that tour and they were great!

I'll add:

VOLA - Inmazes

Ninjaspy - Pi Nature

That's all I can be bothered to link, but if all someone can find from the last couple decades is Foo Fighters and fucking Qotsa then I don't know what to say, they're clearly not looking very hard for new music...

I need to check out that artic monkeys album. gonna check out some of these other picks too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

AM is the one everyone loves, but their first couple albums were their best IMO. The b-sides from 2005-07 and Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys EP were all good too.

I heard the first 2 and then fell off the radar with them. I don't really know anything about their newer stuff though, outside of Josh Homme producing one of the records. As "newer" bands go, I never didn't like them like The Strokes or The Hives, so they are at a great advantage already😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trin9498 said:

@B5Redeye So good. The band sounded tight. Josh was a beast! If you haven’t seen the Foo live, you have to see them if you can - I was a casual fan when I first saw them in ‘18. I was sold after that show - Dave is a great showman. 

That’s great to hear! Yeah we’ve seen them half a dozen times. It’s always a good show.

Excited to see them next month because it will be the smallest venue we’ve ever seen them at.

12 hours ago, Trin9498 said:

Do they still do that annoying thing where every song breaks down and they start talking to the crowd mid way through? For me you can get away with maybe doing that twice in a gig, but afterwards I just want you to keep the momentum going. No issue with bands changing the arrangement whatsoever, but if you kill the flow of the song no matter how much you like doing it, it's gotta go. "honestly, you are the best crowd" yeah, don't BS a BS'er Dave😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Do they still do that annoying thing where every song breaks down and they start talking to the crowd mid way through? For me you can get away with maybe doing that twice in a gig, but afterwards I just want you to keep the momentum going. No issue with bands changing the arrangement whatsoever, but if you kill the flow of the song no matter how much you like doing it, it's gotta go. "honestly, you are the best crowd" yeah, don't BS a BS'er Dave😄

maybe it's genuine like Dave seems to get excited easily and maybe he thinks he neeeds to work out the crowd, it's a part of his show routine. I find it boring and annoying and he screams at the mike a lot instead of actually singing but theiy're a powerful live act imo.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

maybe it's genuine like Dave seems to get excited easily and maybe he thinks he neeeds to work out the crowd, it's a part of his show routine. I find it boring and annoying and he screams at the mike a lot instead of actually singing but theiy're a powerful live act imo.

It's a worked out arrangement as far as I can tell because they (up to now at least) did it for a solid 10yrs.

They are a solid live act though, you'd be crazy to say otherwise!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a few performances of Everlong from this year. Josh seems like a fine drummer but Everlong is definitely different, particularly in the chorus parts. Maybe he’s just trying to put his spin on it or maybe he just isn’t Taylor.

On 5/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, RichardNixon said:

No one. 

The golden age of rock lasted from approx 1967-1997. It was a good 30-year run.

There is still plenty of fantastic rock music released. You're just getting old. So am I, it's life.

If you ask your father, rock music died in the 70s maybe the 80s. If you ask your grandpa, it went down in that plane with Buddy Holly, no one will ever touch the Crickets. It's just the way it is, people glamorize music from whatever era they grew up in or relate to. It's also a lot easier to google "greatest albums of the 90s" and get a dozen lists that are mostly the same than it is to follow new releases and critically listen to new albums. It isn't that great rock music is not released now. It is that everything is so fragmented now in terms of music, that there isn't nearly the same consensus and confirmation about what is great. 

Edited by gunsnchalupas
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 7:48 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll add:

VOLA - Inmazes

Ninjaspy - Pi Nature

I would add all three Royal Blood albums to this list, as well as Greta Van Fleet’s double-EP.

4 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

There is still plenty of fantastic rock music released. You're just getting old. So am I, it's life.

If you ask your father, rock music died in the 70s maybe the 80s. If you ask your grandpa, it went down in that plane with Buddy Holly, no one will ever touch the Crickets. It's just the way it is, people glamorize music from whatever era they grew up in or relate to. It's also a lot easier to google "greatest albums of the 90s" and get a dozen lists that are mostly the same than it is to follow new releases and critically listen to new albums. It isn't that great rock music is not released now. It is that everything is so fragmented now in terms of music, that there isn't nearly the same consensus and confirmation about what is great. 

I have a different take. I think that rock's golden age was (roughly) 1967 to 1997. From Hendrix to the Pumpkins. What great rock bands have formed since 2000, on the level of Zeppelin? I'm not seeing or hearing it. It's more than getting old and being out of touch. 

1 hour ago, RichardNixon said:

I have a different take. I think that rock's golden age was (roughly) 1967 to 1997. From Hendrix to the Pumpkins. What great rock bands have formed since 2000, on the level of Zeppelin? I'm not seeing or hearing it. It's more than getting old and being out of touch. 

The White Stripes, The Strokes, Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys all come to immediate mind.