Appetite for Distortion - Tommy Stinson

15 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Kinda weird Tommy leaving would put him in a bad light with Axl (his words). Tommy gave the band almost two decades and wanted to be home with his family. Respect. I take it they no longer speak? 

I saw Tommy at a meet and greet before a show he did in Athens, Georgia in 2022. He said he has not spoken with Axl since he left in 2014, but this was not a huge change from when he was in the band. He said outside of touring/studio time, he could probably only count one one hand the number of times he actually hung out with Axl outside of "work". Tommy said Axl was that way with everyone; he likes being private. I would imagine it was not different from Duff or Slash's relationship with Axl today. I was, however, also bummed to hear Axl was not happy with Tommy. Like you said. Tommy was inthe mix for GN'R for a lot of up and down times and only left when it became impossible to keep going. When I spoke with him, he said he still talks to Del James, Richard, and Frank often and DJ semi-regularly. 

Big balls to Brando for bringing up Buckethead to Tommy. He gave a similar answer when someone asked about Bucket at the meet and greet. I know they did not get on well. Also, even bigger balls for saying Tommy was in Collective Soul (he wasn't). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

I remember the “chance” encounter Duff had with Axl at the hotel, which led to Duff joining GNR on stage. Word back then was it wasn’t really a chance encounter but more so Duff trying to coordinate a meet and wanting to be back in the band. I think that came from the wrestler guy but idk. 

MSL? maybe... I can't recall but I have heard that verssion of events somewhere before.

17 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I saw Tommy at a meet and greet before a show he did in Athens, Georgia in 2022. He said he has not spoken with Axl since he left in 2014, but this was not a huge change from when he was in the band. He said outside of touring/studio time, he could probably only count one one hand the number of times he actually hung out with Axl outside of "work". Tommy said Axl was that way with everyone; he likes being private. I would imagine it was not different from Duff or Slash's relationship with Axl today. I was, however, also bummed to hear Axl was not happy with Tommy. Like you said. Tommy was inthe mix for GN'R for a lot of up and down times and only left when it became impossible to keep going. When I spoke with him, he said he still talks to Del James, Richard, and Frank often and DJ semi-regularly. 

Big balls to Brando for bringing up Buckethead to Tommy. He gave a similar answer when someone asked about Bucket at the meet and greet. I know they did not get on well. Also, even bigger balls for saying Tommy was in Collective Soul (he wasn't). 

I said Collective Soul instead of Soul Asylum? Do'h. And I wasn't about to dig deeper given his reaction to Bucket wasn't nice.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

MSL? maybe... I can't recall but I have heard that verssion of events somewhere before.

One of the documents that MSL allegedly got from Axl's laptop was dated late 2009 and was titled something like "everyone wants Tommy out and Duff wants back in". Also, in the leaks in 2019 there was a pdf document going around that allegedly said Duff temporarily replaced Tommy in early 2006 but couldn't learn the CD songs fast enough. I never read it.

• Wow 1

5 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

One of the documents that MSL allegedly got from Axl's laptop was dated late 2009 and was titled something like "everyone wants Tommy out and Duff wants back in". Also, in the leaks in 2019 there was a pdf document going around that allegedly said Duff temporarily replaced Tommy in early 2006 but couldn't learn the CD songs fast enough. I never read it.

Ive heard that he was flown out before the Hammerstien shows yeah. The one where Tommy said "I'm having fun" and axl hugged him. But I don't know how much i believe it. The person your talking about was right about some things and wrong about others.

1 hour ago, Gambit83 said:

I said Collective Soul instead of Soul Asylum? Do'h. And I wasn't about to dig deeper given his reaction to Bucket wasn't nice.

I was not sure, listening to the podcast, if you were aware or not of Tommy's feelings about Bucket before bringing him up to Tommy. By all accounts it was not a happy relationship. 

40 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Completely forgot about that. In the corresponding video and post about it on the forum, the person said the band essentially threatened to mutiny before some show in 2010 if management/Axl did not force Tommy to get help for his drinking. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Please don't talk about banned members as they are not here to refute the bullshit they spouted. Thank you :)

was not aware he was banned, the other who i did not name has never been on any forums to my knowledge 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:35 AM, Gambit83 said:

You might be able to tell I was caught off guard by that. I try to avoid the negative, but as soon as Tommy said that I was like uh oh there's a headline. 

I'd never let possible headlines influence my interview. If Tommy offers you a good story, I think it's okay and also your duty as a journalist to dig a little deeper and try to get something more interesting out of it 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

MSL definitely said this. Axl implies it on his interview with Eddie Trunk from 2011. 

Yyeeeeeaaaah - Duff's version of events always seemed a little bit suspect. 

How convenient that he just happened to be in the same city, the same hotel and the same corridor as Axl ...

On 6/2/2023 at 6:32 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

First time I've heard this! Would certainly tie in with some of the on stage moments from Tommy that year, i.e Hammerstein and Download. 

Wasnt there talk of a supposed reunion, or partial reunion at Download that year? This is why we need an autobiography from Axl. The 2002 to early 2006 period is still a mystery for us. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

First time I've heard this! Would certainly tie in with some of the on stage moments from Tommy that year, i.e Hammerstein and Download. 

Wasnt there talk of a supposed reunion, or partial reunion at Download that year? This is why we need an autobiography from Axl. The 2002 to early 2006 period is still a mystery for us. 

What happened at Hammerstein?

4 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

What happened at Hammerstein?

Him and Axl hugged and Tommy said something about enjoying being there, I think. It's been a while since I've watched it. 

Must've been amazing on the forum that night, new guitarist, new tracks, axls voice, his new look, different energy etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rumandraisin said:

Him and Axl hugged and Tommy said something about enjoying being there, I think. It's been a while since I've watched it. 

Must've been amazing on the forum that night, new guitarist, new tracks, axls voice, his new look, different energy etc. 

and the best performance of TWAT ever

On 6/5/2023 at 5:17 AM, rumandraisin said:

This was around the time Scott Weiland had suspected, or was paranoid about a GNR reunion, if I'm not mistaken. Velvet Revolver was slowly falling apart, even though they did put Libertad out. I think Duff put a lot of effort into Loaded, and when that maybe didn't do as well as expected, he probably made an effort to get back into GNR. I am a bit surprised he dosen't talk to Axl, but Ive been at a job for over 20 years, and there are people who you work with for years that leave, and you never hear from them again-it happens.  I did buy the latest Cowboys in the Campfire, it's pretty good. Tommy is right near the top for solo albums from former members for me

On 6/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, Gambit83 said:

Man, I respect the hell out of you for your approach. Not wanting to bombard guests and make them feel off. Pick up on a negative cue? Guide the conversation in a different direction. I know dirt sells and everyone loves it but your approach is a breath of fresh air in that respect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ericstacey said:

This was around the time Scott Weiland had suspected, or was paranoid about a GNR reunion, if I'm not mistaken. Velvet Revolver was slowly falling apart, even though they did put Libertad out. I think Duff put a lot of effort into Loaded, and when that maybe didn't do as well as expected, he probably made an effort to get back into GNR. I am a bit surprised he dosen't talk to Axl, but Ive been at a job for over 20 years, and there are people who you work with for years that leave, and you never hear from them again-it happens.  I did buy the latest Cowboys in the Campfire, it's pretty good. Tommy is right near the top for solo albums from former members for me

wow! So we had Slash visiting Axl's house in 2005 and now Duff about to join the tour in 2006? :wow:

On 6/2/2023 at 4:02 AM, GnR Chris said:

Kinda weird Tommy leaving would put him in a bad light with Axl (his words). Tommy gave the band almost two decades and wanted to be home with his family. Respect. I take it they no longer speak? 

Who do you think gave Axl the news that Tommy would sit that tour leg out?

While we're at it, it begs the question whether Ax was told the whole story there and then.