Opinions: last Izzy/slash recording : GHOST.

It's a solid enough tune. Good groove. I wouldn't say Izzy on it is anything more than a novelty. It's very much a "Slash solo song" in that the guitars lack any sort of interplay like that which made the AFD unification so magical, but it's cool nevertheless.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Haha thought the same thing when I saw the title of thread. 

As for the song it's okay. Not my favorite from Slash but still pretty solid.  

It's one my favourites off Slash's eponymous, along with By The Sword and We're All Gonna Die. But By The Sword makes first place for me.

6 hours ago, Cosmo said:

It's one my favourites off Slash's eponymous, along with By The Sword and We're All Gonna Die. But By The Sword makes first place for me.

Yeah By the Sword is really good!  I really love Nothing To Say with M. Shadows and Gotten too.

There are some great songs on that album

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

By The Sword, Nothing To Say and Promise are my favourites from that album.

Ghost is ok but it doesn't have any of that classic GNR vibe. For the songs with GNR members, I'd say Baby Can't Drive > Ghost > Watch This

Promise is great too.

I absolutely love Nothing to Say.  Matt must have been so happy to record with Slash considering how big of a GnR fan he is.  He did a great job and you can tell he put his all into it.

Matt and Slash would probably be awesome in a band together lol

16 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Promise is great too.

I absolutely love Nothing to Say.  Matt must have been so happy to record with Slash considering how big of a GnR fan he is.  He did a great job and you can tell he put his all into it.

Matt and Slash would probably be awesome in a band together lol

Nothing to Say had such a cool and refreshing sound vocally when I first heard it. I popped my jaw trying to sing that one lol

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:37 PM, James Bond said:

It's a solid enough tune. Good groove. I wouldn't say Izzy on it is anything more than a novelty. It's very much a "Slash solo song" in that the guitars lack any sort of interplay like that which made the AFD unification so magical, but it's cool nevertheless.

This. Slash just doesn't get the connection between him and Izzy, as evidenced by his UYI comments in his book where he felt he needed to overdub extra guitars to fill around Izzy's parts.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 3:16 AM, Tom2112 said:

This. Slash just doesn't get the connection between him and Izzy, as evidenced by his UYI comments in his book where he felt he needed to overdub extra guitars to fill around Izzy's parts.

Yeah but remember his later comments where he repeatedly insisted Izzy was the only guitar player he really meshed with (along with Dave Kushner). When it comes to Iz, Slash has his ups and downs but the negative comments were usually related to his disappointment on a personal level (Izzy leaving the band in a bad way etc.).

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 3:43 PM, megaguns1982 said:

In the current climate of Being a fan, what does everyone think of the last studio guitars parts they laid down together?

did they Re-capture the Afd magic?

Could it have been the next massive GnR comeback tune if Axl had sung on it?

Slash and Izzy sound cool on Ghost. I still listen to it sometimes and to the full Slash and friends album. I don't think it captured the AFD magic, I don't believe that's possible, but the tune is good imo.

By The Sword is the one I would have chosen for Axl to work and sing on as I feel it had the most potential if I could only choose one tune from the album for Axl to turn into a Gn'R track. 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Slash and Izzy sound cool on Ghost. I still listen to it sometimes and to the full Slash and friends album. I don't think it captured the AFD magic, I don't believe that's possible, but the tune is good imo.

By The Sword is the one I would have chosen for Axl to work and sing on as I feel it had the most potential if I could only choose one tune from the album for Axl to turn into a Gn'R track. 

As much as I'd love to hear Axl singing it, Andrew Stockdale did such a fantastic job, I wouldn't change a second of it. The man should've been VR's second singer or have taken Myles' place in the Conspirators. I'd be a happy guy.

Just now, Cosmo said:

As much as I'd love to hear Axl singing it, Andrew Stockdale did such a fantastic job, I wouldn't change a second of it. The man should've been VR's second singer or have taken Myles' place in the Conspirators. I'd be a happy guy.

agreed about Stockdale doing a great job on By The Sword, but honestly, I find his voice kinda too whiny for a full record. It was cool for one song imo and he also gave a near perfect live performance of By The Sword on Leno, you could tell that Slash was happy with the performance at the end of it. Still, I gotta wonder what Axl would have done with that song and also other strong Slash compositions.

• Like 1