Tommy Stinson on Chinese, GNR and Axl

2 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Had so much fun reading this thread. AFD rednecks all around. Haha chill people. It's just music.

Tommy Stinson is a decent and professional bass player. His long history in the industry and the quality projects he was involved with is way larger than Slash and Duff and Adler and your other idols.

Again I'm not saying Slash or Duff aren't good. It's just that this is not a boxing ring. It's music.

So keep it down when talking about Tommy Stinson. hehe. 

So what?? Doesn't mean he still can be a biased idiot. And I take anything Duff and Slash put out over his stuff anyday.

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That was later. He was not referring to Merck, but to Azoff and managers he had after him.

The 2006 reunion story is one of the biggest mysteries in the history of GN'R because, like I said, there were many hints and too much smoke. And it seems that Axl had considered doing it under certain circumstances.

You don't know to whom all he may have been referring. Fact is, Merck got fired. He wouldn't have gotten fired if Axl was pleased with everything he did. And just because many people speak of something or of perceived hints, doesn't mean it's true. Everything in Axl's demanour back then suggests it's bullshit. At that time Axl still had something to prove. To just reunite with Slash, would have shat into the face of everything he tried to do since they split up.

Edited by PatrickS77

3 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Tommy said his opinion, you said your opinion and I said mine. I respect yours too.

So we will all move on.

Oh, right... he added "I think" at the end, to not appear as the most arrogant, deluded and biased douche. Doesn't change that fact, that he seems to be a total arrogant prick, judging by all that's known about him.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

You don't know to whom he may have been all referring. Fact is, Merck got fired. He wouldn't have gotten fired if Axl was pleased with everything he did. And just because many people speak of something or perceived hints, doesn't mean it's true. Everything in Axl's demanour suggest it's bullshit. At that time Axl still had to prove something. To just reuinite with Slash, would have shat into the face ofeverything he tried to do since they split up.

I know to whom he was referring to because of the context in which he made that reference.

And, as I said, if there was going to be a reunion then, what Axl had in mind (but also the other camp as well) was an one off as a means to settle their legal disputes and then each one would go on with their respective projects (CD and VR). But anyway, if you have read the links I posted and you're still not convinced, I'm not going to further try to change your mind.

• Like 1

Just now, GNRfanMILO said:

What is it so arrogant of what he said? That Chinese Democracy have more mature lyrics than Appetite for Destruction? No shit, Sherlock.

It's not like he said that the Chinese Democracy solos "don't hold any melodic significance" like Slash did... are you going to call him an "arrogant, deluded and biased douche" too?

Can't you read?? "It’s going to be looked at historically as their best record, I think." Who cares about mature lyrics in a hard rock/sleaze rock/heavy metal/ whatever album?? People don't connect with the lyrics. They connect with the music in the first place. And the lyrics were good enough for that

• Like 2

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

Can't you read?? "It’s going to be looked at historically as their best record, I think." Who cares about mature lyrics in a hard rock/sleaze rock/heavy metal/ whatever album?? People don't connect with the lyrics. They connect with the music in the first place. And the lyrics were good enough for that

Honestly I was a big UYI era fan before CD. And I loved both lyrics and music on CD. You can't joke with TWAT, SOD, Prostitute, Better or even the title track. 

So, lyrics matter of course. I don't have problem with your opinions cause it's yours but I do have a big issue with your generalizations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I know to whom he was referring to because of the context in which he made that reference.

And, as I said, if there was going to be a reunion then, what Axl had in mind (but also the other camp as well) was an one off as a means to settle their legal disputes and then each one would go on with their respective projects (CD and VR). But anyway, if you have read the links I posted and you're still not convinced, I'm not going to further try to change your mind.

Oh, but have you??? Both Axl and Duff are quoted in saying it's all rumours and nonsense. Not sure, why you are so determined to cling to a supposed reunion that never happened. Again, a one off flys in to the face of everything that Axl was trying to accomplish at the time.

3 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Honestly I was a big UYI era fan before CD. And I loved both lyrics and music on CD. You can't joke with TWAT, SOD, Prostitute, Better or even the title track. 

So, lyrics matter of course. I don't have problem with your opinions cause it's yours but I do have a big issue with your generalizations.

It may matter to some. But I bet the majority of music listeners around the world don't give a flying fuck about the lyrics. Most probably don't even understand them properly.

10 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

So what? Tommy gave his own arguments as to why he thinks CD will be seen down the line as their best album. And those are valid arguments, just like the ones you just gave. What's really pathetic is the usual hate-induced vomit one has to read in every single CD-era related thread. Same with the "X artist says something negative about Axl" threads.

You just don't see people laugh-reacting or saying shit about Buckethead in Slash-related threads.

And with that said, I don't agree with what Tommy said. Chinese Democracy always was and always will be a niche album, and AFD will still be cultural hit in 100 years from now. But that doesn't mean that it will be seen as their "best" record :lol: As I said, there are plenty of valid reasons to think that Chinese Democracy is the better album (I personally don't think so, even with CD being my all-time favorite album).

Also, someone is not an "arrogant, deluded and biased douche" just because he/she has a different opinion than you ;) 

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

Oh, but have you??? Both Axl and Duff are quoted in saying it's all rumours and nonsense. Not sure, why you are so determined to cling to a supposed reunion that never happened. Again, a one off flys in to the face of everything that Axl was trying to accomplish at the time.

I'm not clinging to it. It's just a conclusion I have come to based on what I have read about what was going on at that time.

Just now, Blackstar said:

I'm not clinging to it. It's just a conclusion I have come to based on what I have read about what was going on at that time.

And that conclusion doesn't make too much sense, if you listen to and look at the actions of the people that matter most. Axl and Slash. And Duff and the others.

And that conclusion doesn't make too much sense, if you listen to and look at the actions of the people that matter most. Axl and Slash. And Duff and the others.

You can make this argument about Axl and Duff based on what they said in public, but it's hard to say the same about Slash considering his actions at the time. But anyway, we're going around in circles here. There's no point continuing. If it doesn't make sense to you, that's fine.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I do. I enjoy songs as Absurd, but I can't enjoy a band or artist that doesn't have deep or mature lyrics in their catalogue.

"It’s going to be looked at historically as their best record, I think. You can look at the first records and stuff like that. They have the hits on them. But what is interesting about Chinese Democracy is there’s a lot of him in those songs. He sang a fucking ton about his life, and about life in general in those songs, moreso than just a rock ‘n’ roll song about a fucking drug addict, that kind of thing or “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” There’s a lot more going on there, depth-wise from him, mentally, than those earlier records."

I don't know if I agree with Tommy with that.  I think Chinese Democracy will always be looked at similarly to what it is currently generally seen as 15 years after its release - not a terrible album by any means, but an album that took way too long to come out, and that is missing the key musical members that up until that point was what made GNR, GNR

Don't get me wrong I like the album, but Appetite and the Illusions will always be seen as GNR's best accomplishments and will always be looked at as not just a band in their prime, but a period the band could never live up to afterwords

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

I think CD has some good songs (The Blues

Why do people still insist on doing this? 😂 The released song is called Street Of Dreams. It's not called The Blues, it was never released as The Blues, and that's been the case for 15 years now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

It may matter to some. But I bet the majority of music listeners around the world don't give a flying fuck about the lyrics. Most probably don't even understand them properly.

I’d find it highly surprising if the majority of the folks here weren’t attracted to Axl and his various incarnations of the band, and the promise of ChiDem, if they WERENT into his lyrics.

5 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’d find it highly surprising if the majority of the folks here weren’t attracted to Axl and his various incarnations of the band, and the promise of ChiDem, if they WERENT into his lyrics.

some music listeners don't care about lyrics. Personally, I do care about that aspect, but I'm guessing that if I didn't, Gn'R would still have a lot to offer to me as a listener.