Tommy Stinson on Chinese, GNR and Axl

Will it be viewed as their best? Most definitely not. But if you consider how it’s viewed now compared to how it was viewed in 2008-2013, there seems to be a lot more appreciation amongst even casual fans. Just looking at YouTube comments shows it truly has grown on people and aged quite nicely. A lot more people seem to appreciate the different sounds/musical directions and effort Axl put in to it as time goes on

Edited by D4NNY
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, anchel2 said:

Im friends with Tommy

The only thing I can say regarding Chinese is that he's not a fan of Bucket and Bumble ha ha ha and he told me in 1999 the record wasnt finished.

Yeah, pretty well documented at this stage about the friction within the band. Even Brando’s recent interview with Tommy he makes it clear he’s not a fan of Bucket, but despite their differences, they were great at what they done as a unit in a live setting and eventually on record.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

Tommy is the man! CD is a great record, what is wrong is the mixing/layers of multiple years, performers, etc. Those songs live are 100% better than the studio version

Funny you say that. I’d say it’s the one album that is best enjoyed on the turntable. The rest of the catalogue, particularly Appetite, I think has much more energy in a live setting! 

It’s all subjective at the end of the day, but I’m glad to see that Tommy still takes a great deal of pride in the work that they created. It’s my favourite album of all time, not just out of GNR’s small but great catalogue.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, anchel2 said:

Im friends with Tommy

The only thing I can say regarding Chinese is that he's not a fan of Bucket and Bumble ha ha ha and he told me in 1999 the record wasnt finished.

Well, they at least had a version of the record that could have been released in 2000/01, after Bucket's additions. Before that, I agree that the record lacked a bit of guitar work, but the vocals were almost there for 90% of the songs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, anchel2 said:

Im friends with Tommy

Yeah the bumble stuff was well documented, but never heard him mention any issues with bucket? They seem like opposite personalities but any insight into why they didn't get on?

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

Yeah the bumble stuff was well documented, but never heard him mention any issues with bucket? They seem like opposite personalities but any insight into why they didn't get on?

I remember Tommy saying on a live stream in 2009 that Bucket just wanted to band to be all about his guitar and Axl’s vocals and that he didn’t like how the other members had a say in things, which I think is bullshit cause Bucket is friends with Brain, for starters. I think Tommy developed a bit of an ego from becoming “the musical director,” as Brain put it, and felt like Bucket was a threat to his power or some shit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

I remember Tommy saying on a live stream in 2009 that Bucket just wanted to band to be all about his guitar and Axl’s vocals and that he didn’t like how the other members had a say in things, which I think is bullshit cause Bucket is friends with Brain, for starters. I think Tommy developed a bit of an ego from becoming “the musical director,” as Brain put it, and felt like Bucket was a threat to his power or some shit.

Biggest rock band in the world and they're just little jealous kids really. Nothing surprises me tbh

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Biggest rock band in the world and they're just little jealous kids really. Nothing surprises me tbh

Yeah I’ve said before that the entirety of NuGNR was just a bunch of jealous kids competing for Daddy Axl’s attention.

On top of Tommy’s fragile ego, Axl had to go and add a third guitarist. Finck and Fortus had worked it out so that they would be the only guitarists needed in 2006, and then Axl goes and throws in Bumblefoot out of nowhere, and Stinson ends up having the same petty issues with Bumble that he did with Bucket, and even Fortus hated Bumble. Then after ChiDem came out, Bumble kept insisting that they ditch the leftovers and just write new music from scratch, whereas the rest of the band didn’t even give a fuck.

More guitarists = More drama

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Two very telling examples:

Buckethead going away is the best thing that could've happened to the band. It's gonna be great. I won't get too far into that, because I don't really like slamming people or getting into people's personalities or anything like that. It's a really good thing. [Tommy Stinson, HTGTH, October 2004]

You know, he wears a bucket on his head. That’s all I can say about that. And there’s not a lot under it. [Tommy Stinson, Magnet Magazine, 2004]

As far as I know, [Buckethead] hasn't been replaced, but we already have enough guitarists. We have Robin Finck and Richard Fortus, and Buckethead will be on the record, too. I really have no idea why he decided to leave, but it didn't come out of left field because he's always come and gone. Even when I do see him, I don't know what he thinks. [Tommy Stinson, MTV News, June 9, 2004]

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

You know, I never understand why these people don’t ask more in depth questions.  Unless they do and are reviewed and passed on pre-interview.

how many songs do you know were actually finished with vocals on the lists  for CD? 

what really took so long? (People seem to skirt this one.  I’d like to hear someone say it truthfully)

too many vague questions that spark vague answers.  Drives me crazy 

23 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

You know, I never understand why these people don’t ask more in depth questions.  Unless they do and are reviewed and passed on pre-interview.

how many songs do you know were actually finished with vocals on the lists  for CD? 

what really took so long? (People seem to skirt this one.  I’d like to hear someone say it truthfully)

too many vague questions that spark vague answers.  Drives me crazy 

Maybe because Tommy gives these interviews to promote his new material, not to talk about CD?

However, he has kind of answered some of these questions, e.g.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/how-tommy-stinson-moved-on-from-replacements-and-guns-n-roses-116429/

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-album-legacy-8490842/

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2