Tommy Stinson on Chinese, GNR and Axl

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it will be looked at a whole lot more favourably as time goes on and on.... but AFD is always going to be the favourite and best. But I understand what he was saying. UYI definitely had a lot of depth and personal lyrics that weren't just traditional drug and typical rock n roll songs

I think it's already looked at more favorably tbh.  A nice remastered deluxe edition could go a long way 

2 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Tommy is proving that he, and probably others in the band, are just egotistical wankers. You were a hired hand dude, just like Frank and Fortus, DJ Assba, DJ Melissa etc... Full of their own importance. Good on them for getting paid and playing on the biggest stages in rock touring, but really they are just hired hands.  So like some others have mentioned, trying to position themselves with Axl as being more important and better than others.

And Tommy, it IS the future, and still very little people care about CD. I happen to love it. But not many really give a shit. So no amount of time is going to see it held in higher regard. That is just dumb. 

AFD is clearly their (The proper Guns n' Roses band/Axl) Magnum Opus. Even the UYI albums are better and more critically acclaimed than CD.

so Tommy is not allowed to have an opinion about his favorite Gn'R album cause why exactly? especially when music is such a subjective topic.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

so Tommy is not allowed to have an opinion about his favorite Gn'R album cause why exactly? especially when music is such a subjective topic.

Not when your opinion is just clearly some garbage that is not rooted in reality, but by your own ego. He needs to get real, his opinion is that he claims that the entire world will agree with him and his opinion in the future, everyone just hasn't caught on yet, apparently.:lol: Of course he's gonna catch some heat for that saying such obvious ego driven garbage. 

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Funny that his favourite is the only one he played on. And wasn't he the guy, who wasn't a GNR fan before joining? So what does he know? He's clearly not one to talk. And yeah, he's definitely subjective.

19 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

No serious journalist would ever submit questions for a pre-interview

As a "serious journalist", it does happen. It's been rare for me, and never been an issue when it has been requested, but to dismiss any journalist who's had to do this as not "serious" is laughable.

A journalist can't help if a PR rep on manager is protective. Likewise, a rep can't help it if the interviewee goes off-piste. If an interviewer is restricted, it's then on us to carefully navigate that issue, or blow the whole thing wide open and risk losing it.

I had it recently with a prominent name in his field. I was asked what I would be asking, was told certain topics were off-limits, but then as soon as the interview started, I got a text saying "if he goes there, you can". I ended up getting three times the info I wanted/needed anyway because the guy answering the questions did the heavy lifting. Meanwhile others asked the questions right up and got instantly blacklisted.

You have to play the game. Being as respectful as you need to be to get something is part of that, it doesn't mean you're any less "serious".

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

As a "serious journalist", it does happen. It's been rare for me, and never been an issue when it has been requested, but to dismiss any journalist who's had to do this as not "serious" is laughable.

A journalist can't help if a PR rep on manager is protective. Likewise, a rep can't help it if the interviewee goes off-piste. If an interviewer is restricted, it's then on us to carefully navigate that issue, or blow the whole thing wide open and risk losing it.

I had it recently with a prominent name in his field. I was asked what I would be asking, was told certain topics were off-limits, but then as soon as the interview started, I got a text saying "if he goes there, you can". I ended up getting three times the info I wanted/needed anyway because the guy answering the questions did the heavy lifting. Meanwhile others asked the questions right up and got instantly blacklisted.

You have to play the game. Being as respectful as you need to be to get something is part of that, it doesn't mean you're any less "serious".

Not sure what type of thing you cover, and I'm sorry to say the word "serious", I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. But I stand on my  general opinion that this shouldn't be the case. Being government, artists or big companies, the PR team is always protective, and they know that the media is always short on staff and have to "play the game", so yes, they try. They also try to review the text before it gets published sometimes. I would just refuse and say it's not reasonable. 

Unless there is some serious gravitas on the table - say, a SEC issue for a CEO speaking on the silence period - I really don't see any issue on just refusing politely to hand over the questions with the risk of being a scripted conversation. 

On 8/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, SlashisGOD said:

Chinese Democracy will certainly not be looked at as their best record.

Not a chance. Maybe his best lyrical content, though. Estranged and Coma are brilliant, but even they don't have the depth of Catcher, lyrically. Then again, the former two song's lyrics were written by a man barely out of his mid-twenties so, not really a fair comparison.

Edited by Nintari

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure what type of thing you cover, and I'm sorry to say the word "serious", I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. But I stand on my  general opinion that this shouldn't be the case. Being government, artists or big companies, the PR team is always protective, and they know that the media is always short on staff and have to "play the game", so yes, they try. They also try to review the text before it gets published sometimes. I would just refuse and say it's not reasonable. 

Unless there is some serious gravitas on the table - say, a SEC issue for a CEO speaking on the silence period - I really don't see any issue on just refusing politely to hand over the questions with the risk of being a scripted conversation. 

I primarily cover motorsport but have worked in other areas over the years (My personal website is largely untouched these days owing to outside commitments, but here are some bits I've done).

It's a fair assumption, and I agree to a point, it's just sometimes it's a necessary evil unfortunately.

But to be honest, it's not the questions that matter, but how you ask them. Refusing if they ask for them in advance can jeopardise the opportunity or the relationship, but steering them to accept conversation topics instead helps. It might not even be to stifle the journalist either, sometimes they only want to know so they can get their client in the right frame of mind if they have multiple commitments on the same day.

You've just got to look at each situation individually. I'm fortunate that a lot of the people, teams, companies, and manufacturers I deal with regularly are ones I have a good rapport with so there's mutual understanding/expectation when we go in – but that kind of thing takes time and is the result of carefully fostering the relationships. Not every asks for questions in advance (it's been very rare for me), but if they do, they probably won't forever.

I tend not to go in with explicit questions anyway – and I do say that if asked – specifically because, like you alluded to, I want a natural conversation. I want them them to open up, and I don't want to put words in their mouth or back them into a corner where they can't open up. It comes from something I was taught at uni: "be like Michael Parkinson, not Terry Wogan", meaning don't always stick to a list of questions, ask your next one based on the answer to the last – that way you don't miss an opportunity to let them give you more on their own.

But yeah, long story short, we don't like having to do it, but accept we kind of have to. That being said, it doesn't always happen and it depends on who you are – on both sides.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

If I were a journalist, I would simply not interview anyone that required a "list" beforehand. If you can't handle questions, than that's on you, and I'd take a pass. If people wanted to know what happened, I'd write a short editorial, explaining the situation so they knew where to direct their anger.

Likewise, if I were an artist, I would be totally fine going in blindly. As a matter of fact, I would prefer it. I'm not a child. I don't need mommy or daddy wiping my ass. If there was a question that I didn't want to answer, I'd just smile and say next question, or say I prefer not to answer. You know, like Dylan use to do.

And as far as NDA's go... if I saw anyone slide one of those fucking things across the table as some sort of prerequisite, I'd do a Larry David and shove it up my own ass.

Edited by Nintari
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, JimiRose said:

Yeah the bumble stuff was well documented, but never heard him mention any issues with bucket? They seem like opposite personalities but any insight into why they didn't get on?

Tommy almost left GNR before 2006 NYC shows. He was so pissed at Axl because of Bumble addition... The reunion almost happen that year . 

He really loves Finck and ovbiously Frank and Fortus.

And yes, he didnt like DJ Ashba too.

28 minutes ago, Nintari said:

If I were a journalist, I would simply not interview anyone that required a "list" beforehand. If you can't handle questions, than that's on you, and I'd take a pass. If people wanted to know what happened, I'd write a short editorial, explaining the situation so they knew where to direct their anger.

Likewise, if I were an artist, I would be totally fine going in blindly. As a matter of fact, I would prefer it. I'm not a child. I don't need mommy or daddy wiping my ass. If there was a question that I didn't want to answer, I'd just smile and say next question, or say I prefer not to answer. You know, like Dylan use to do.

And as far as NDA's go... if I saw anyone slide one of those fucking things across the table as some sort of prerequisite, I'd do a Larry David and shove it up my own ass.

As I said, it's not quite as black and white as that. You can refuse, but if that means losing everything as opposed to gaining something, you have to weigh that up.

NDAs on the other hand are usually fine in this context. They protect both sides in a sense. If you're daft enough to sign and then blab, that's on you. If you don't sign, you can say what you want – to a point – but won't have the additional knowledge or relationships that could (and most likely would) help you further down the line.

The phrase "Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" comes to mind...

Edited by DoMw94

Just now, DoMw94 said:

As I said, it's not quite as black and white as that. You can refuse, but if that means losing everything as opposed to gaining something, you have to weigh that up.

NDAs on the other hand are larely fine. They protect both sides in a sense. If you're daft enough to sign and then blab, that's on you. If you don't sign, you can say what you want – to a point – but won't have the additional knowledge or relationship that could (and most likely would) help you further down the line.

The phrase "Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" comes to mind...

The reason I was attracted to GNR in the first place, was mostly due to their attitude and perspective on life. They came into the business on their terms, and if anyone didn't like it, that was too bad (victory, or death, remember?) Axl was not going to compromise himself or his integrity for anyone. He had a vision, and he was going to execute that vision, even if it meant his bitter ruin. That was something I believed in and subscribed to, and something I still believe in an subscribe to. You don't compromise yourself. You keep your integrity and you make it work. People respect that. They don't respect the opposite. You stick to your guns, stay a man of your word, and in the end, as long as you keep at it and don't give up, it'll work out for you. That's my belief, and that's how I choose to live my life.

1 hour ago, Nintari said:

The reason I was attracted to GNR in the first place, was mostly due to their attitude and perspective on life. They came into the business on their terms, and if anyone didn't like it, that was too bad (victory, or death, remember?) Axl was not going to compromise himself or his integrity for anyone. He had a vision, and he was going to execute that vision, even if it meant his bitter ruin. That was something I believed in and subscribed to, and something I still believe in an subscribe to. You don't compromise yourself. You keep your integrity and you make it work. People respect that. They don't respect the opposite. You stick to your guns, stay a man of your word, and in the end, as long as you keep at it and don't give up, it'll work out for you. That's my belief, and that's how I choose to live my life.

Sadly no one in GnR continues to believe this. Whores for cash, nothing else. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, anchel2 said:

Tommy almost left GNR before 2006 NYC shows. He was so pissed at Axl because of Bumble addition... The reunion almost happen that year . 

He really loves Finck and ovbiously Frank and Fortus.

And yes, he didnt like DJ Ashba too.

Right. That's why in the years after Axl still called Slash a cancer and that the reunion would happen not in this lifetime. It's pretty much bullshit what you say here regarding the reunion.

4 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Right. That's why in the years after Axl still called Slash a cancer and that the reunion would happen not in this lifetime. It's pretty much bullshit what you say here regarding the reunion.

I wouldn't say it's bullshit. There were many hints and indications back then that they came close to a reunion. It was not going to be a permanent thing like the current lineup though, but rather an one-off, probably as part of the negotiated settlement of the lawsuits, and then everyone would go their own way. But something went wrong along the way and it didn't materialize, and as a result relations between the camps soured even more.

58 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I wouldn't say it's bullshit. There were many hints and indications back then that they came close to a reunion. It was not going to be a permanent thing like the current lineup though, but rather an one-off, probably as part of the negotiated settlement of the lawsuits, and then everyone would go their own way. But something went wrong along the way and it didn't materialize, and as a result relations between the camps soured even more.

By whom?? Certainly no one that matters. Back then the man that matters most still had only the worst to say about Slash. On more than one occasion. And what's the point of a one-off, when they still can't stand each other/had issues.

Edited by PatrickS77

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

By whom?? Certainly no one that matters. Then the man that matters most still had only the worst to say about Slash. On more than one occasion.

By a few people. More about the almost-to-be reunion in 2006:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5631-25-august-2004-may-2006-finalizing-chinese-democracy-lawsuits-return-to-nyc#22213

(There is also a later interview with Merck that is not included)

Also in my timeline here (in the part that is in spoilers):

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/225839-the-new-album-thread-thanks-to-the-long-ass-thread-i’m-going-home/?do=findComment&comment=5011264

The peak of Axl's bitterness towards Slash was between 2008-2010 (that was when the "cancer" comments etc. were made) - I assume it had to do with Slash's book but also with his issues that were related to the release and performance of CD. It wasn't so much prior to that and especially afterwards.

53 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

By a few people. More about the almost-to-be reunion in 2006:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5631-25-august-2004-may-2006-finalizing-chinese-democracy-lawsuits-return-to-nyc#22213

(There is also a later interview with Merck that is not included)

Also in my timeline here (in the part that is in spoilers):

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/225839-the-new-album-thread-thanks-to-the-long-ass-thread-i’m-going-home/?do=findComment&comment=5011264

The peak of Axl's bitterness towards Slash was between 2008-2010 (that was when the "cancer" comments etc. were made) - I assume it had to do with Slash's book but also with his issues that were related to the release and performance of CD. It wasn't so much prior to that and especially afterwards.

Merck did get fired, no? Axl spoke of management pressuring him into doing a reunion, no?? Doesn't mean it was close or something he ever considered to do in those years.

4 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Merck did get fired, no? Axl spoke of management pressuring him into doing a reunion, no?? Doesn't mean it was close or something he ever considered to do in those years.

That was later. He was not referring to Merck, but to Azoff and managers he had after him.

The 2006 reunion story is one of the biggest mysteries in the history of GN'R because, like I said, there were many hints and too much smoke. And it seems that Axl had considered doing it under certain circumstances.

Edited by Blackstar