Tommy Stinson on Chinese, GNR and Axl

20 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

You know, I never understand why these people don’t ask more in depth questions.  Unless they do and are reviewed and passed on pre-interview.

how many songs do you know were actually finished with vocals on the lists  for CD? 

what really took so long? (People seem to skirt this one.  I’d like to hear someone say it truthfully)

Just now, jamillos said:

I'm 99% sure this is the case.

I think it's because outside of this forum no one gives a shit about how many songs were written by hired members of an 80s rock band. Most interviewers will barely know who these guys are, they'll do their research and see they did chinese democracy with GnR. They will see no other music released with the band and assume that's it. Not that there are all these mythical songs that 15 years later we still don't have. The only chance to ask these questions will be if someone here is asking the questions. And if the appetite podcast has these guests on and isn't asking these questions then make it clear 'we wanted to ask this, but were vetoed' 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

38 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Two very telling examples:

Buckethead going away is the best thing that could've happened to the band. It's gonna be great. I won't get too far into that, because I don't really like slamming people or getting into people's personalities or anything like that. It's a really good thing. [Tommy Stinson, HTGTH, October 2004]

You know, he wears a bucket on his head. That’s all I can say about that. And there’s not a lot under it. [Tommy Stinson, Magnet Magazine, 2004]

As far as I know, [Buckethead] hasn't been replaced, but we already have enough guitarists. We have Robin Finck and Richard Fortus, and Buckethead will be on the record, too. I really have no idea why he decided to leave, but it didn't come out of left field because he's always come and gone. Even when I do see him, I don't know what he thinks. [Tommy Stinson, MTV News, June 9, 2004]

I can see how Buckethead might be difficult to work with. Freakishly talented, but probably a guy who has to things his way (or 'no way'). 

At various times, he lost the chance to be lead guitarist for RHCP and Ozzy Osbourne, because he insisted on being 'Buckethead' at all times.

I heard that they had to turn his amp down for much of the 2002 tour, because he insisted on noodling his way through the songs (which was putting everyone else off). 

Lest we forget that some people were concerned about what might be going on in that chicken coop that he had built in the studio during the CD sessions.

And it's very telling that his solo shows are just him playing over a backing track (or at least the ones I am aware of. Maybe he does have a little Buckethead band nowadays?)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The second part. Thinking CD will be viewed as GNRs best album when AFD is not even only GNRs best album, but one of the best albums by ANY artist period. 

Tommy has stated previously that GNR weren’t really his bag and Axl wasn’t keen on the Mats and that they joked about this when he joined the fold. It’s all subjective and he’s just stating his opinion, but it’s no surprise, at least to me, that he’d lean more towards work he helped create than material he wasn’t so keen on when it initially came out (but predominantly toured with later on 😂)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

I can see how Buckethead might be difficult to work with. Freakishly talented, but probably a guy who has to things his way (or 'no way'). 

At various times, he lost the chance to be lead guitarist for RHCP and Ozzy Osbourne, because he insisted on being 'Buckethead' at all times.

I heard that they had to turn his amp down for much of the 2002 tour, because he insisted on noodling his way through the songs (which was putting everyone else off). 

Lest we forget that some people were concerned about what might be going on in that chicken coop that he had built in the studio during the CD sessions.

And it's very telling that his solo shows are just him playing over a backing track (or at least the ones I am aware of. Maybe he does have a little Buckethead band nowadays?)

One of the things I got a kick out of was when Canter mentioned Bucket was always in full regalia in the studio. I have a hard time imagining this but allegedly it was the case. Canter was out at some restaurant and seen Bucket there and said hello, only Bucket was dressed in normal gear and had the look of utter shock that he knew it was him.

You may have seen pics of Axl from around ‘01 and ‘02 with the same fella. The guy has posted on social media fan sites etc as he’s practically met every member along with most of the alumni. He mentioned Bucket coming out to speak with fans after a GNR gig in 2002, no gimmick, and saying he’d sign anything but no photos for obvious reasons.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I hate to say it, but I think bringing back Finck in late 2000 might’ve also caused some issues. Imagine how Buckethead must’ve felt, suddenly sharing duties with the guy he was supposed to be replacing. It’s why DJ left once Axl told him that Slash was coming back.

Had Finck not been there, maybe Bucket woulda stayed and Stinson woulda been forced to work out his issues with him.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s why DJ left once Axl told him that Slash was coming back.

Is this what actually happened, or is it just DJ’s version of events? Has there been any other commentary on this?

I just have a hard time picturing Slash ever playing next to DJ Ashba. Despite what Nuno Bettencourt thinks about Richard Fortus, Richard can play his ass off. I don’t know if DJ Ashba has the chops to hold his own against Slash. Obviously, technical skills aren’t everything - but Ashba is a bar band guitarist at best. I just can’t believe he was ever seriously considered for the NITL tour.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Tommy has stated previously that GNR weren’t really his bag and Axl wasn’t keen on the Mats and that they joked about this when he joined the fold. It’s all subjective and he’s just stating his opinion, but it’s no surprise, at least to me, that he’d lean more towards work he helped create than material he wasn’t so keen on when it initially came out (but predominantly toured with later on 😂)

Or bluntly put: "Guy involved during Chinese Democracy years and who was never a fan of Appetite for Destruction, says CD is the better album." Still delusional to think that what he was involved in came anywhere even close to what the band achieved artistically back then.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, UYI4 said:

You know, I never understand why these people don’t ask more in depth questions.  Unless they do and are reviewed and passed on pre-interview.

how many songs do you know were actually finished with vocals on the lists  for CD? 

what really took so long? (People seem to skirt this one.  I’d like to hear someone say it truthfully)

too many vague questions that spark vague answers.  Drives me crazy 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I'm 99% sure this is the case.

No serious journalist would ever submit questions for a pre-interview, it's offensive to actually suggest that (and trust me, that happens a lot). At best, you can say what general topics you want to cover, but that's it. 

IMO, it's just not the focus of the interviewer nor the interviewed. If CD was the central subject, then yeah, they should def have more in depth questions.

1 hour ago, Sausagebrain said:

Never heard about that, but I doubt it. From the soundboards and videos I watched from 2002, I never saw any evidence of anything like it. 

Also they used in-ear monitors, they all have their own mixes there.

1 hour ago, Sausagebrain said:

Fortus said it was bumble whose amp they had to turn down due to noodling (in 2006). He says bucket actually knew when to stop and let others play.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Fortus said it was bumble whose amp they had to turn down due to noodling (in 2006). He says bucket actually knew when to stop and let others play.

I like Fortus, but he was butt-hurt because he would play all the Bucket stuff in 2006. I think he would do a great job in IRS and TWAT, but I really dislike what he tries to play in Better currently. 

As far as I know, the soundboard guys had to kinda work it out to add the third guitar player (Bumble) at the last minute, as they were preparing the tour for quite some time before for just Robin and Richard. That's why Bumble was really fucked up in the mix for the first NY shows and the European leg of the 2006 tour. It all started to get better in the UK tour and def in those US dates. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Or bluntly put: "Guy involved during Chinese Democracy years and who was never a fan of Appetite for Destruction, says CD is the better album." Still delusional to think that what he was involved in came anywhere even close to what the band achieved artistically back then.

It’s all subjective my man, we all have different tastes. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

What was that comment someone made a while back about there being three “camps” in GNR back in ‘00-‘02, and one was just Axl and Bucket on their own since no one else (except Brain) got on with Bucket? All talented musicians but there were definitely hurt egos.

4 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Notice when Tommy commented on Axl not releasing another record, he said he has a lot of talent (right now) to work with, not that he has a lot of finished songs? LOL

I love Tommy. I think he's a great bass player and was a great fit for Guns. But with respect he's been gone eight years. He wouldn't know what songs are or aren't finished now. Slash N Duff redid parts and added new touches to Absurd and Hard Skool. Slash has said they've done the same to multiple other songs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

^ After someone with a Buckethead profile picture, can someone with a Slash profile picture step up now and give his take? That way we can achieve a healthy balance in this thread

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Help us @janrichmond or @MaskingApathy… You’re our only hopes…

Are you talking about this?

1 hour ago, betterman said:

He is right regarding Chinese. By far the most complete album and way more mature and interesting than AFD and more cohesive than UYI.

Havent got the big singles though

Um no :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

@bettermanFWIW, I do agree that ChiDem is more mature than AFD/UYI but lacks hits. That said, I still think Tommy downplayed just how “deep” the old albums were too. Songs like Rocket Queen’s second half as well as November Rain, for instance.

Ultimately I would still rank AFD above ChiDem. Not sure about UYI. I don’t even know whether to see that as one album or two tbh.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

Chinese Democracy will certainly not be looked at as their best record.

I think it will be looked at a whole lot more favourably as time goes on and on.... but AFD is always going to be the favourite and best. But I understand what he was saying. UYI definitely had a lot of depth and personal lyrics that weren't just traditional drug and typical rock n roll songs

• Like 2