Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think Slash is more versatile than that (and so does Richard :lol:). He has certainly done a lot of different collaborations over the years to not pigeonhole him to only being a blues rock guitarist. Besides, it isn't that his lead guitar doesn't fit with the style on Hard Skool, Absurd or Perhaps (or any of the other songs they have played live), in my opinion, but just that he doesn't create as memorable solos and lead parts as he used to do in his youth. It is more about note selection than accommodating to a specific style. He could still create beautiful solos with just the right notes at the right time even if it isn't a traditional major pentatonic rock track. He has done it before. Personally, I just think he is not as great anymore as he was when he was young, and he compensates live by overplaying. And that's fine, age catches up with us all eventually.

What I think we should be thankful about, is him accepting to integrate himself in the new band, accepting that the discography has been expanded and that obviously he will now have to learn these new songs to play live. He embraces nuGuns, something he never did before. Cynically one might argue that that is what he needed to due to get all the money from the NITL touring, but I like to think that is not the main reason.

Someone would say we should also thank him for suggesting to work on the unreleased CD material, but despite what Axl said, I think Slash knew when he joined the band again that playing on unreleased music would possibly be the only way he got to be featured on new GN'R releases, or at least the quickest way. I wouldn't be surprised if Axl stipulated this as a requirement, although maybe not explicitly or in that many words. 

Lastly, I don't think Axl would have shelved the unreleased music if Slash didn't rejoin. There would be no need to. With no operational band, he could have decided to release any of the numerous versions that he has stored and not have to bother about having to perform them live (and thus finding a new touring lineup). It also would mean he would never have to attempt to sing them live (can you imagine him trying to sing Eye On You now?) We could have received a Perhaps with Robin, or maybe with Bucket, or maybe with Bumblefoot. And so on. He could have released a box with all of it. Which is why I personally was never in favor of the "reunion". It was clearly a cash-grab move and any music coming out would be more diluted to how they were when they were created by the original composers, which matters to me. It is impossible for Axl to release music now without Slash and Duff on it. Now what we get are songs that suffer from being written by someone but played by others with no great affection for the material or connection, over a long period of time where a lot of the original magic has been lost. 

I agree with the vast majority of that. 

Axl and Slash are both well past their peak years.  They probably reunited for several reasons, money being one. 

Axl is obviously hung up on these songs and the only way to release music is to rework them. 

I imagine Slash and Duff would much prefer to do new stuff than this. They might have even rejected some of this stuff in the 90s. 

Now what we get is a lot of compromises. 

I'm actually most excited about Slash's solo album. And I wish Axl had of got this stuff out before the reunion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacdaniel said:

I agree with the vast majority of that. 

Axl and Slash are both well past their peak years.  They probably reunited for several reasons, money being one. 

Axl is obviously hung up on these songs and the only way to release music is to rework them. 

I imagine Slash and Duff would much prefer to do new stuff than this. They might have even rejected some of this stuff in the 90s. 

Now what we get is a lot of compromises. 

I'm actually most excited about Slash's solo album. And I wish Axl had of got this stuff out before the reunion.

Yeah, I'm loving Slash's solo output and it's great that it's gone from strength to strength. Hoping that I get a chance to see Slash, Myles and co. again if they tour the UK next year. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 2

I love reading all these metoo articles about #JukeBoxHeroGate and especially had a shooray for tolerance! or two at the folk at work going, have you heard Guns N Roses are partnered with boxes N bars now? I played dumb...

"Nooo, tell me more...." 😏

Note: only in GNR world could a single be "kinda out"...like the in-between nether world of the musical stream! 

Edited by colonizedmind

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Go all out? Well... Yeah, considering it's the only thing he's bringing to the table.

Even giving it a bit of the old Slash juices would have been something though.

I'm sorry you have such high expectations for somebody who's been phoning it in for years now 

15 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

In all honesty, I think it’s a really good song. Definitely could have fit on Illusions. Only odd thing is it sounds a lot like Catcher which is another song that I feel could have been saved if the original lineup had recorded it. 

Original catcher wirh May was good. It was slaughtered on the CD version though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Caedo said:

In the UK trying to get Touchtunes working and the app won't let me add credits except by using Paypal which I don't have. Anyone had similar issues or know how to get around this?

It’s been taken down, don’t bother.

3 minutes ago, Caedo said:

In the UK trying to get Touchtunes working and the app won't let me add credits except by using Paypal which I don't have. Anyone had similar issues or know how to get around this?

You also need a bar with a jukebox, because You can't hear it via the app... 

3 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Haven't got the time to read back today. We still completely radio silent ?

Yes. Nothing from the camp yet 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

In all honesty, I think it’s a really good song. Definitely could have fit on Illusions. Only odd thing is it sounds a lot like Catcher which is another song that I feel could have been saved if the original lineup had recorded it. 

They're definitely two similar songs musically and lyrically. Probably would of held similar positions on two separate albums. Sort of that Side B mid-tempo piano driven rocker. It and CITR would have both been right at home in 1997 as a follow up to UYI. A bit more refined and mature sounding songs. They're not necessary singles but good examples of what a third album/10 years in as a band/mature type music could have sounded like if the band held together and wasn't chasing chart topping hits.

I felt from the locker leaks it was the best song that wasn't on CD. I still feel that way although I'm not quite as high on it as I was in 2019. I think it's had more refining compared to Hard School and Silkworms, and it works really well. The drums are great on it. 

Pretty sure from my bar tab last night and using a few fast passes I have paid more to listen to Perhaps a handful of times than I did buying my copies of CD back in the day and I have zero Dr. Pepper to show for it. 

3 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

You also need a bar with a jukebox, because You can't hear it via the app... 

Yeah I have a bar with Jukebox but no way of adding credits to the app it seems :/

1 minute ago, Its Tino said:

Slightly off topic, but I think these 3 songs were always intended as the next singles. Even IF there are more “finished” songs from the era. 

How do you come to this conclusion? If I had to bet, I would've said atlas was at least one of the singles, they'd gone with...  🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Outofgascar said:

What it felt like playing a TouchTunes Easter Egg GN'R song for a bunch of casual fans at the local watering hole yesterday afternoon and telling them the short version of the history behind the locker songs recently coming to light...

giphy.gif

841941.jpg?b64lines=RklSU1QgWU9VIGZpbmQg

• Haha 3