08/18/23 - Pittsburgh, PA - PNC Park

downzy

17 minutes ago, gnr1967 said:

Wow.  Just got home from the Pittsburgh show.  I stayed outside the park to see if I could meet or see any of the band members leave the stadium.  Me and about a dozen other fans stayed across the street from the tour buses behind a tall chain link fence.  (Security kept telling us we had to stay off the stadium sidewalk, so we were left with no choice but to stand for hours behind a fence across the street).  We saw Beta board the bus probably around 1 am, but no Axl.  We saw Slash leave and Dizzy.  They left immediately after waving to everyone.  I was about to give up (I was exhausted and it was quite cold outside) when around 4:30 am, Axl was being driven in a golf cart towards his tour bus to depart.  I had my Pittsburgh lithograph with me and a marker, and Axl came and signed it!  Me and a few others were lucky enough to get his signature (albeit through a chain link fence) and thank him. He did't say much, and it was a brief encounter, but at least I got to thank him personally.  Never met anyone from the band or any major celebrity ...never thought it would be Axl no less.  Took a photo of the signed lithograph and a blurry photo of Axl getting out of the golf cart next to his tour bus.  

Signed Pittsburgh lithograph - Axl autograph Aug 18 2023

Photo of Axl getting out of golf cart next to tour bus

TBH in the space of a year, he's become by the most approachable and keen to greet the fans and be kind of any of the band, by far! Has Beta changed his meds or something? It's really a beautiful thing...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yeah, I’m not sure what’s up with the Mickey verses. You’d think it would be incredibly easy to entirely baritone. He said something along the lines of needing to figure out how to sing it before it started, so it’s entirely possible this performance is his first time trying to sing it in 20+ years.

Let's reasses in a couple of weeks....once Uncle Ax has caught up with GNR world happenings...Ohhh I have a new F'N song to sing...ok....let me just work it out live in front of 30,000

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Yes, the performance is getting shredded by readers of the various music outlets.

What's wrong with the performance besides that one line in the first and 2nd verse. I thought it was pretty much bang on... And a first performance. In comparison to Hatdskool this is lightyears away, in a positive direction 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

There's something there to work with. Stage show needs to increase the lighting intensity....for a new song that helps, especially on the chorus energy injection. Axl needs to work out his highs and lows better or just save the highs for the chorus "All alllllone"....Need to work out the ending better, as it just suddenly ended (Axl) I think we WILL.get better versions....Axl needs to have the song in his ears on repeat until Monday and it'll help with timing, etc. Overall, the best end of week in GNR land this side of a day in November 2008....I don't think many would argue against that....

Yikes. Was the crowd like that all gig or just for Perhaps? Appreciate we're all getting older but that looks like a terrible atmosphere. 

32 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Let's reasses in a couple of weeks....once Uncle Ax has caught up with GNR world happenings...Ohhh I have a new F'N song to sing...ok....let me just work it out live in front of 30,000

Guns N’ Roses is the only band where the singer can get away with basically announcing before a new song “hey, I don’t know what I’m doing here, I haven’t sang this song in 24 years, let’s hope for the best.” And people will still buy tickets. He basically admitted he doesn’t rehearse…

And yet, I’ll still pay a ridiculous amount for a ticket the next time they come around.

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Isn't it cute? :D When you think of them as Loony Tunes, it all makes sense and it's pretty funny. And anyways, Axl's voice is what it is. Personally I don't care to see them live, I just want the Chinese leftovers to get out already. And it's happening, man! :D

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

TBH in the space of a year, he's become by the most approachable and keen to greet the fans and be kind of any of the band, by far! Has Beta changed his meds or something? It's really a beautiful thing...

That’s fantastic, congratulations.  Heck of a wait but it was worth it. 

2 hours ago, Thierry1982 said:

Perhaps is a piece of shit. All this anticipation for such a bad song. 😂

They’ve outdone themselves.

It isn't very good but after a second listen it was better than Absurd and Hardschool...  I just can't get excited about these 20 year Frankenstein songs.. And they fuckiong dropped Pretty Tied Up for it.. So Typical since my show is Monday.. Why not drop fucking Absurd??? Not many people like it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It isn't very good but after a second listen it was better than Absurd and Hardschool...  I just can't get excited about these 20 year Frankenstein songs.. And they fuckiong dropped Pretty Tied Up for it.. So Typical since my show is Monday.. Why not drop fucking Absurd??? Not many people like it. 

maybe Axl likes to sing it live and/or the band likes to play it. 

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, 22frets said:

I thought it was standard tuning too when I was trying to figure out the solo yesterday, mainly because the solo starts with an E. But it was quite difficult to do all the double-stop bends clean enough. 

After looking at the live performance, it's quite clear that Slash plays it in half-step down tuning. Now my fingers have some relief when I'm trying to play the solo. 😄

However, I have no clue what scale Slash is using. It seems quite random and there are a couple of notes that I feel do not fit the chord progression. Yet, it somehow seems to work. 

Maybe it's on F? Or maybe Dm? 

This was my attempt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Yikes. Was the crowd like that all gig or just for Perhaps? Appreciate we're all getting older but that looks like a terrible atmosphere. 

Where I was seated in the stadium, the crowd went wild during the hits like Sweet Child and November Rain, but as soon as something newer came on people became tame and just kind of stood there or sat down. I was one of the few oddballs in my section that got excited for the new stuff.

On a different note, I got my video of Perhaps linked in a short rolling stone article.  And the article wasn’t too critical either. 

Rolling Stone blurb on debut of Perhaps w/link

Edited by gnr1967
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rovim said:

maybe Axl likes to sing it live and/or the band likes to play it. 

Maybe. But the the people in the seats pay alot of money to see them.. Absurd is still the most logical choice to drop. Either way they Play 25+ songs . Need some piss breaks but I was just really looking forward to PTU.. That said, I am looking forward to Reckless Life,, Bad Obsession, Anything Goes and Dowen on the Farm more!

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Maybe. But the the people in the seats pay alot of money to see them.. Absurd is still the most logical choice to drop. Either way they Play 25+ songs . Need some piss breaks but I was just really looking forward to PTU.. That said, I am looking forward to Reckless Life,, Bad Obsession, Anything Goes and Dowen on the Farm more!

I think every band is allowed to play at least some songs more for themselves. I think it makes sense to keep playing it cause it only got its official release a couple of years ago. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I love this video (of which there are many...) Of him with a the fan that named her son after him.....when the penny drops, he goes in for a really genuine happy hug! Whatever people have said about Axl over the years, whatever trying we've had, no one can say he ever pretend and does not wear his heart on his sleave....quite sweet really in his old age.....

Still got the pull with the ladies too....

Cool video! He’s come a long way in terms of being friendly to fans in my opinion.  Of all the band members, I always had the viewpoint that Axl was the hardest band member to meet or interact with. Last night blew me away … I’m still amazed Axl signed my poster. He was very friendly.

Edited by gnr1967
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gnr1967 said:

Wow.  Just got home from the Pittsburgh show.  I stayed outside the park to see if I could meet or see any of the band members leave the stadium.  Me and about a dozen other fans stayed across the street from the tour buses behind a tall chain link fence.  (Security kept telling us we had to stay off the stadium sidewalk, so we were left with no choice but to stand for hours behind a fence across the street).  We saw Beta board the bus probably around 1 am, but no Axl.  We saw Slash leave and Dizzy.  They left immediately after waving to everyone.  I was about to give up (I was exhausted and it was quite cold outside) when around 4:30 am, Axl was being driven in a golf cart towards his tour bus to depart.  I had my Pittsburgh lithograph with me and a marker, and Axl came and signed it!  Me and a few others were lucky enough to get his signature (albeit through a chain link fence) and thank him. He did't say much, and it was a brief encounter, but at least I got to thank him personally.  Never met anyone from the band or any major celebrity ...never thought it would be Axl no less.  Took a photo of the signed lithograph and a blurry photo of Axl getting out of the golf cart next to his tour bus.  

Signed Pittsburgh lithograph - Axl autograph Aug 18 2023

Photo of Axl getting out of golf cart next to tour bus

That is crazy that he hangs around the venue for 5 1/2 hours after the show, I wonder what he does, most major artists nowadays have a car waiting for them the second the show is over and get in that car and leave before the masses exit the venue, for him to hang around that long is crazy especially cuz I assume the days of after show parties is over

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, k12 said:

That is crazy that he hangs around the venue for 5 1/2 hours after the show, I wonder what he does, most major artists nowadays have a car waiting for them the second the show is over and get in that car and leave before the masses exit the venue, for him to hang around that long is crazy especially cuz I assume the days of after show parties is over

That’s an excellent question. I was speculating what he was doing all those hours inside the stadium after the show. Slash Dizzy and the rest of the band left quickly afterwards. Slash got in a waiting SUV, waved at us, and left. But Axl and his entourage lingered inside for hours. I will say though, he and his entourage have a lot of baggage. I watched them pack his bus for hours!