Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

Robin isn’t credited, so the much-discussed Finck bend seems like it’s Fortus playing underneath Slash. Dueling guitars sort of thing. That part has quickly grown on me. I wasn’t married to the original solo though. I’m still waiting to hear a proper-quality version (other than the radio livestream). I like the effects on Axl’s vocals in parts (“what a weight upon my shoulders” second time), but I would have been happier had it mostly been more “organic” in other areas. 

I love The song. I get that some people don’t like it. But the comments here that annoy me are the ones who keep calling it a Chinese leftover or B side (it wasn’t). Or especially those who say it shouldn’t have been released. Fuck off! 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah it appears their idea of great promotion (and probably why it was delayed a week) was to give Audacy rock stations in the USA the song exclusively to play one day before it officially came out. It also seems based on Audacy’s description of the song that they may be trying to mislead people that this is a new song that Axl/Slash/Duff wrote together…

https://www.audacy.com/national/music/world-premiere-guns-n-roses-perhaps

According to an official release, "Perhaps" was "written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year," and is their "first collective new composition and recording together in thirty years since 1993’s 'The Spaghetti Incident?'"

Check out the band's brand new single "Perhaps" all day Thursday, August 17, beginning at 12AM ET on your favorite Audacy Rock stations.

"first collective new composition and recording together in thirty years since 1993’s 'The Spaghetti Incident?'"

Interesting. Could Perhaps be from 1994-1995?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

I do find the press release that implied it was written by Axl, Slash and Duff pretty weird given that it dates from the NuGuns era. I suppose if Axl came up with the structure, lyrics and vocal melody then it isn’t incorrect as that’s classed as writing and then Slash and Duff did the recording two decades afterwards…

Yeah I get you, but ultimately I imagine in the Nu-Guns era everything was contractually attributed to Guns N' Roses - as in, any creative contributions would fall under that umbrella rather than individual personnel.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vloors said:

Its on spotify Australia. Listening now.

Screenshot_20230818_010847_Spotify.jpg

Weird that for like a day they were knocking down all the leaks like they hired someone specifically on a 24 HR contract to do that...now they don't seem to care that it's out. Fine by me, I like having the demos and instrumentals to link people to on YT. Hopefully played live tomorrow....Some press release which also may allude hopefully to a physical release (with extras!)....that may be down the line if history serves....so let's see in the next couple of months if we get a 2nd tune and then an EP and probably a lyric video too (it was 2 and half months after initial HS release for that ! 😉)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Robin isn’t credited, so the much-discussed Finck bend seems like it’s Fortus playing underneath Slash.

Honestly having listened to the Youtube version with Bose headphones, it sounds identical to the intro of Finck's solo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blakemajors1 said:

So it isn’t robin’s solo if he isn’t credited right? Shouldn’t they all be listed out if that was the case?

He’s not playing it on the official release apparently. Regarding that they list the composer as Guns N Roses. Is that something new? Seems like it could be some deal between Axl, Slash and Duff to share on the publishing for all new material released. Anybody know more on that?

1 minute ago, CAFC Nick said:

Yeah I get you, but ultimately I imagine in the Nu-Guns era everything was contractually attributed to Guns N' Roses - as in, any creative contributions would fall under that umbrella rather than individual personnel.

Yeah, that seems to be the m.o. Songwriting’s a pretty tangled thing in a rock band context anyway I feel. I mean Roger Waters sees himself as the writer as a lot of the Floyd stuff but without Gilmour and Wright’s melodic polish the songs would have sounded different I feel. 

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

and what was that something? we don't know. Could have been a different reason than just having no interest in releasing it. (action)

Do you think I would have use this wording when I knew what's wrong in Axl's head? Nobody knows, dude and you know it.

I believe Axl didn't release it because he wasn't satisfied with the result, or unsecured or whatever. Doesn't matter. He chose not to release it, as he chose not to release everything else of the CD material. I don't know if Slash and Duff pressured him to change his mind but still it took years...and after listening to Perhaps I couldn't care less if it had stayed forever in the vault. That's all I'm saying.

Just now, bmus1 said:

Isn't that killswitch guitar at the beginning of Absurd uncredited to Bumblefoot? That wasn't "recreated" by Fortus.

I doubt we’ll ever get a full breakdown of who played on what. It would be great if all the multi-tracks leak at some point so we can have different versions with different combos of musicians :lol:

7 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Robin isn’t credited, so the much-discussed Finck bend seems like it’s Fortus playing underneath Slash. Dueling guitars sort do thing. It’s quickly grown on me. I wasn’t married to the original solo though. I’m still waiting to hear a proper quality version (other than the radio livestream). I like the effects on Axl’s vocals in parts (“what a weight upon my shoulders”), but I would have been happier had mostly been more “organic” in other areas. 

I love it. I get that some people don’t like it. But the comments here that annoy me are the ones who keep calling it a Chinese leftover or B side (it wasn’t). Or especially those who say it shouldn’t have been released. Fuck off! 

Not a leftover or a b side literally...that's just how folk that don't like it are gonna label....the truth is, there's many breadcrumbs that show this would of been part of the next album as a main track and the fact it's out now, backs that up too...so it's part of another album that may of been called CD2 or most likely an entirely different title! We forget that....same with anything. Legendary Child from Aerosmiths last LP was originally conceived/demoed in their Get A Grip era but it still belongs to that last LP....ideas are always stock piled over years.... admittedly, uniquely in GNR's mad ways case.

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

I do find the press release that implied it was written by Axl, Slash and Duff pretty weird given that it dates from the NuGuns era. I suppose if Axl came up with the structure, lyrics and vocal melody then it isn’t incorrect as that’s classed as writing and then Slash and Duff did the recording two decades afterwards…

Yeah, but that’s not getting in a room this year and writing it together. Wonder why they’re lying like that in the promo material they’re giving radio stations…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Do you think I would have use this wording when I knew what's wrong in Axl's head? Nobody knows, dude and you know it.

I believe Axl didn't release it because he wasn't satisfied with the result, or unsecured or whatever. Doesn't matter. He chose not to release it, as he chose not to release everything else of the CD material. I don't know if Slash and Duff pressured him to change his mind but still it took years...and after listening to Perhaps I couldn't care less if it had stayed forever in the vault. That's all I'm saying.

cool, and really, all I'm saying, is that just because you seem to dislike it, doesn't mean that the reason for the 20 plus year delay was because Axl didn't think it was good or didn't like it as well. 

as I've mentioned before, Axl didn't want to release This I Love cause he was maybe too attached to it so that's 1 example of why there could be more than 1 reason, the reason you specified, for the long delay.

4 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

"first collective new composition and recording together in thirty years since 1993’s 'The Spaghetti Incident?'"

Interesting. Could Perhaps be from 1994-1995?

No, I doubt it. It really sounds like a CD era song, and Slash said none of the songs they worked on had as much 'history' as Hardschool. I don't know why they've worded it like it's something Axl, Slash and Duff wrote this year, I'm sure most places will report is being from the CD era like Absurd and Hardschool.

Regarding the solo, I think it's possible that unless they're using an entire track (like Brain's drum track) they can use pieces of Robin's or Bucket's playing and simply put 'Written/performed by GNR' in the credits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah, but that’s not getting in a room this year and writing it together. Wonder why they’re lying like that in the promo material they’re giving radio stations…

If you take it literally they’re not technically lying though but yeah agree it’s odd that they’re wording it so it’s like it is a new writing collaboration when it’s openly known that it’s from the NuGuns era. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

I’m in California so even though the song has been premiered on radio in the States you can’t listen to it on YouTube,Spotify,etc yet. So the only thing that is available to pop up on google at the moment is the demo someone uploaded to YouTube. It’s also been up for over 4 hours. Seems like that should be deleted and/or they should’ve just made the actual song available after it premiered on radio. 

I'm in Pennsylvania.  That is just a rip of the song someone took from last night.  Not a demo.

And lots of songs go to radio before streaming services. That's not uncommon 

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

I'm in Pennsylvania.  That is just a rip of the song someone took from last night.  Not a demo.

And lots of songs go to radio before streaming services. That's not uncommon 

Someone has put the demo up with the new artwork.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

If you take it literally they’re not technically lying though but yeah agree it’s odd that they’re wording it so it’s like it is a new writing collaboration when it’s openly known that it’s from the NuGuns era. 

Well weren’t we under the impression Duff/Slash added their parts to these CD era songs a few years ago, not this year? Seems like they’re trying to pull a fast one for some reason with their description of this song. Maybe someone did some focus testing of general audiences and they realized nobody is interested in repurposed Axl songs from 20 years ago…just a thought..

• Like 1