Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

19 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

When you say you bought the song, what do you mean?  There are places to buy this online?

Yeah I still buy music from iTunes for songs I want to listen to on my phone, I just use the free version of Spotify to stream on my laptop.

Listening to this on headphones, car and decent speakers. Mix sounds muddy. 

Quite like the song in the context of Chinese Democracy. It's better than maybe 5 of the songs that made that record. I do wonder if they had taken the time to rework it fully so it sounds less like Chinese Democracy era and more like UYI era it might have been stronger. With slash's meh solo and the generic rocky sound they've injected into it, it's a bit Frankenstein'd. Should have gone the whole hog and committed to a more classic GnR sound - sweeping guitar solos and Axl using more rasp and less Chinese Democracy era mickey/wailing.

Have pre ordered the vinyl as the combo of this and The General feels pretty cool for some reason. Nice thing to have in the collection. 

Ridiculous antics prior to the release aside, the release has some nice things about it - relatively decent song, surprise vinyl w/The General, a video to accompany it. Happy days. 

• Like 3

Looks like the song hit Canadian airwaves as well.

The radio DJs are... indifferent to the song. They are saying it's the first song the band put out in 30 years.

Edited by VeeR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Do we have a link for this?

I know there was a guy n 4chan who claimed Perhaps, The General and Atlas would come out (which was copied over to Reddit), but no exact timeframe was given except for Atlas and Perhaps. Even then, the claims were that Perhaps was delayed because Axl wanted to 'stick it to' the label, The General's movie soundtrack deal fell apart and Atlas was scheduled for November...

I'm not inclined to believe it since Perhaps was a given and The General was a likely guess anyway. There is no evidence for Atlas being prepared, and why would they release it in November when they could have stuck it on the disc with Perhaps/The General in October?

I guess I can’t discredit or prove anything. Especially when it comes from 4chan and there is that oddball chance it’s factual. 

My guess is it was an educated guess based on context clues. If you take a step back from being a “GnR fan” and look at the clues it’s a fairly easy prediction to make. We knew Perhaps and the General were on set lists and soundchecked. We knew GnR has a US tour and a goddamn NASCAR on top of it. So it’s easy to see that a single would release. And last time they released a single another one came out mid-tour. So it tracks for Perhaps and the General. 

Atlas is a bit more bold of a call. Still, we have Slash’s quotes on reworking music. We knew Atlas was all but complete. And November is holiday shopping season. 

However, I feel there isn’t enough time to release another 7inch in time for Christmas and there is no tour on the docket for early 2024. So I’m having a hard time seeing Atlas coming out in November. I hope I’m wrong, but it seems a stretch. They had sick artwork though on Reddit when they mentioned that 4chan post. 

2 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I guess I can’t discredit or prove anything. Especially when it comes from 4chan and there is that oddball chance it’s factual. 

My guess is it was an educated guess based on context clues. If you take a step back from being a “GnR fan” and look at the clues it’s a fairly easy prediction to make. We knew Perhaps and the General were on set lists and soundchecked. We knew GnR has a US tour and a goddamn NASCAR on top of it. So it’s easy to see that a single would release. And last time they released a single another one came out mid-tour. So it tracks for Perhaps and the General. 

Atlas is a bit more bold of a call. Still, we have Slash’s quotes on reworking music. We knew Atlas was all but complete. And November is holiday shopping season. 

However, I feel there isn’t enough time to release another 7inch in time for Christmas and there is no tour on the docket for early 2024. So I’m having a hard time seeing Atlas coming out in November. I hope I’m wrong, but it seems a stretch. They had sick artwork though on Reddit when they mentioned that 4chan post. 

Would like to see that artwork, do you have it? Or maybe, the link for it?

1 minute ago, Guitto said:

Would like to see that artwork, do you have it? Or maybe, the link for it?

Unfortunately I do not. It had a skeleton sitting in a desert. It looked legit and had a few things that the amateur graphic designers mess up on - I.e, clean logo placements and a proper font that isn’t Helvetica for the song title. There was even a little hidden GnFnRs logo hidden that looked nice. Searching the photo didn’t result in any obvious hack jobs someone would make as fan art.  Again thought, could be a fake. There are plenty of great graphic artists out there that are huge Guns fans. 

• Thanks 1

The song is growing in me. I think a lot of the issue is, out of all the leaks, Perhaps is one of the songs that felt the most complete to me, so hearing a version that is different from the one that I’ve heard for 2+ years is strange. I’m definitely interested to see where things go next, outside of Atlas and State of Grace, anything we hear beyond that will likely be new, or atleast have vocals we haven’t heard. I’m curious if they put out an album once they get all the completed leaked songs out. I could see them putting atlas and state of grace out to make room on an album for things we haven’t heard like Zodiac, Oklahoma, soul monster, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eggers said:

I’m surprised how muddy the mix is. Kind of a bummer.

edit. It actually sounds better the louder you play it.

It's a speaker issue as far as I know.  It sounds very good on some systems and not so good on my phone.  My phone typically plays things very clearly, though.  

52 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Good to know! Thanks.

Tried but couldn’t find it. But for what it’s worth, it’s the same Reddit posts that had cover arts for both General and Atlas (the dark shield and the skeleton chilling in the desert). Seems like the posts were removed, which is interesting…

Edited by rocknroll41

6 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

It’s decent enough. But very worrying. In 7 (or however many long) years touring they couldn’t write and release a single new song together. Is it writers block? Lack of inspiration? Fear? Or just laziness? Who knows.

Yesterdays as a single was more inspiring than this. GNR DNA all over it and the video was cool as

Another song that you need to be a CD fan of to like.. Sounds like it would fit right on there... Feedback from my cousin and friend who are both going to the show Monday was the same..  0 for 3 with these CD Frankenstein songs.. This song will be forgotten in a week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, liers said:

The song is growing in me. I think a lot of the issue is, out of all the leaks, Perhaps is one of the songs that felt the most complete to me, so hearing a version that is different from the one that I’ve heard for 2+ years is strange. I’m definitely interested to see where things go next, outside of Atlas and State of Grace, anything we hear beyond that will likely be new, or atleast have vocals we haven’t heard. I’m curious if they put out an album once they get all the completed leaked songs out. I could see them putting atlas and state of grace out to make room on an album for things we haven’t heard like Zodiac, Oklahoma, soul monster, etc.

It's finally happening with The General. I think if they release something entirely new would be better, and have more impact than a song leaked before, but, ok, at least they released it.

Edited by Guitto

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

I really find it fascinating there’s people here who don’t like “Perhaps.” Then again, they might find it fascinating that I love “Absurd.”

I love all three, but then I pretty much love 99% of their catalogue, hence why GNR are my favourite band.

• Like 1

I posted yesterday about being underwhelmed, but this version of the song is definitely a grower. Its a definite improvement on the old version. In particular, I like how they've removed the guitar part over  the 'But how would I know how it feels' line. That guitar line kinda hid that chord change - and one of the main hooks of the song's melody. So its a definite improvement for me. Any thoughts?

The original solo is definitely quite a bit better though, I wish they'd left it intact, or just had Slash do a version of that one. 

But overall, I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10.

What's the consensus then? Is this song Axl reflecting on his regrets about how he acted towards Slash?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

I really find it fascinating there’s people here who don’t like “Perhaps.” Then again, they might find it fascinating that I love “Absurd.”

I like Absurd, I just wished they didn't do the "out of time" verses thing on the final version. I get it, but I don't like it.