"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

34 minutes ago, axljungle said:

I hope the song have this intro

I can imagine it's been cut, if it was an intro at all. It might have just been stripped from the actual song. Something that was underneath the verses and chorus. 

Still, I like to imagine it was an intro on the CD2 version when it was still a 7 minute epic or something. 

Biggest fear... Beltrami's strings removed and replaced by Melissa's keys. Or backing vocals. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I can imagine it's been cut, if it was an intro at all. It might have just been stripped from the actual song. Something that was underneath the verses and chorus. 

Still, I like to imagine it was an intro on the CD2 version when it was still a 7 minute epic or something. 

Biggest fear... Beltrami's strings removed and replaced by Melissa's keys. Or backing vocals. 

I hope it's the isolated strings stems featuring different parts of the song to be used as an intro.

10 hours ago, Carnal894x said:

Unfortunately it's likely it won't have a cool intro like that or if it does it won't be a very long one. I do hope that the song as a whole is at least 6 minutes and some change.

I have always been under the impression that the The General played before CD shows was the instrumental of the entire song and not just an intro for it.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • PERHAPS 1

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I have always been under the impression that the The General played before CD shows was the instrumental of the entire song and not just an intro for it.

As far as we can figure out from the phone recording, they simply lifted the orchestration from one part of the song and used it as a concert intro. It's most likely not the actual intro from The General, just one part from the song.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm hoping for a song with complex structure, i.e. stuff like Locomotive, Coma and Estranged. Above all, I hope for Slash to really shine in this song.

We still don’t have a “My socks have been knocked off” Slash solo on a new GNR song 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

Exactly. And I know it's wishful thinking, but I hope he remembers to set the gain above 3 this time.

Some songs can really use a good amount of crunch. Thinking this could be one of them. Hoping for some good saturation and delay :headbang:

• PERHAPS 1

21 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

We still don’t have a “My socks have been knocked off” Slash solo on a new GNR song 

Nu Guns era songs typically don't have those stand out riffs or solo's. 

They'll probably have to write some more guitar driven songs to get solos like that. 

13 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

So I'm listening to "Melting Man Part 2" by Buckethead (Pike #10) and parts of the song reminded me of the "The General" cellphone clip. I hope this isn't off topic, just wanted to share. 

Interesting. He wanted to use some of his ideas for his own solo albums in the past. The GN'R Camp prevented him from doing so.

Edited by Sosso
  • PERHAPS 1

21 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Interesting. He wanted to use some of his ideas for his own solo albums in the past. The GN'R Camp prevented him from doing so.

Could always see 'Soothsayer' & 'Nottingham Lace' being used for Guns in an alternate universe. 

34 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

So I'm listening to "Melting Man Part 2" by Buckethead (Pike #10) and parts of the song reminded me of "The General" cellphone clip. I hope this isn't off topic, just wanted to share. 

Man, I hear no resemblance :blink:

Which part?

Edited by Cosmo