"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

23 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/fall?iso=20231027T00&p0=137&msg=The+General+UNLEASHED&font=cursive

Seems surreal that it's being released. I'm checking on here twice daily for any updates, think I just gotta take a chill pill and leave it for a week or so. Good times. 

When I made that countdown it was 70+ days to go or so! It's come around quick...but also feels like "forever and a day"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mattromero said:

Whaaaaaaat?????

Just a joke, relax :lol:

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

All the years of speculation that it was about child abuse, but it's actually about a lucky man who made the grade...

The video will have a Marco Beltrami cameo wearing some weird mask.

• Haha 2

Big jesus....we've really kept the fire burning on this one....15 years and still we got anxiety jokes....

After this wait, Axl better leave the stage randomly on the 27th and come back "As ordered by Bucket...it was only right I don this mask for the next song"....

*Puts on Gladiator Helmet*

*Performs General*

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think it was in 2003

Yeah, I believe this IGN interview with Marco Beltrami was the first time we heard about The General:

IGN: Since we're talking about rock musicians, what was the deal with you arranging some orchestral sections for the impending Guns N Roses album?

Marco Beltrami: That was sort of just work for hire. I guess they'd heard some of my orchestral music of mine. I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. It was a fun project. I really enjoyed it. The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. People ask me about the album and I really have no idea about the release. I thought it was coming out last September. I'm the wrong person to ask about that.

IGN: He came to you with the tracks then, so you weren't ever in the studio with the musicians or anything like that

Marco Beltrami: No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it.

IGN: What songs were they, by chance?

Marco Beltrami: A song called "Seven," which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called "Thyme," one called "The General," one called "Leave Me Alone."

Here's the interview: https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/07/18/more-with-marco

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yeah, I believe this IGN interview with Marco Beltrami was the first time we heard about The General:

IGN: Since we're talking about rock musicians, what was the deal with you arranging some orchestral sections for the impending Guns N Roses album?

Marco Beltrami: That was sort of just work for hire. I guess they'd heard some of my orchestral music of mine. I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. It was a fun project. I really enjoyed it. The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. People ask me about the album and I really have no idea about the release. I thought it was coming out last September. I'm the wrong person to ask about that.

IGN: He came to you with the tracks then, so you weren't ever in the studio with the musicians or anything like that

Marco Beltrami: No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it.

IGN: What songs were they, by chance?

Marco Beltrami: A song called "Seven," which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called "Thyme," one called "The General," one called "Leave Me Alone."

Here's the interview: https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/07/18/more-with-marco

Its pretty wild that none of these songs are released (yet)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, axlvai said:

It will be a mess if we get a full mickey on this  song.

He can do his Reckless Life voice live if he wants it’s just whether Axl wants to put effort into the General over something else while preserving for shows. Hope it makes him angry! He does usually try with new songs (full rasp Perhaps chorus).

5 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

I can just imagine it now, the beautiful Marco Beltrami intro blasting through and then boom….

The General was Silkworms all along, but with the ‘oh what can I do’ chorus included! 

You know that it's true

• Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

48 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

He can do his Reckless Life voice live if he wants it’s just whether Axl wants to put effort into the General over something else while preserving for shows. Hope it makes him angry! He does usually try with new songs (full rasp Perhaps chorus).

Youre right. 

• Thanks 1