Has Frank been relegated to a touring drummer?

Has Frank been relegated to a touring drummer?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, DSTK said:

Take dizzy and Melissa out, and you wouldn't notice the difference? Estranged,NR,Perhaps, Civil war, Paradise,Absurd etc ...really ? 

Frank is a good drummer, touring drummer or not..he's here to stay 

Matt 😂 he's the last man I'd call, 2nd last Adler

Matt is a very good drummer friend 👍

He plays on  3  very good albums by this band, the toms that are boring and repetitive on NR were Axl’s idea, not his doing.

Also the bassist from Black Sabbath thinks he’s good enough to work with.

He played with the Cult, who do you think will be queuing up to work with Frank if he was fired tomorrow?

13 minutes ago, silkchild said:

He plays on  3  very good albums by this band, the toms that are boring and repetitive on NR were Axl’s idea, not his doing.

He played with the Cult, who do you think will be queuing up to work with Frank if he was fired tomorrow?

I'm not saying he isn't good, I just wouldn't go back there... he's said too much apparently in a book... I've only seen what's been posted btw

For me the best drumming on an album Matt was involved in, Adler drummed on civil war & YCBM but I've not heard the demo of it yet, but it exists 

I've never seen sabbath for one second or even played a record, the front man is a knob...the cult are ok, but only ok, not on Guns level 

Frank is fine, if he was to leave I'm sure Brain would step in, shame Josh is drumming for Grohl 

Edited by DSTK
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

22 minutes ago, silkchild said:

It’s not necessarily trouble, he is doing a job, and an ok one, he really is. He’s not as quick over the toms or as intricate (Brain drums as well with his feet as he does with his hands, his pedal work is fantastic) 

Of course he is keeping time in a live setting, but he is not playing the parts ‘effortlessly’ the same as Matt was not doing so with Stevens parts.

Frank imo is prob like a Matt Sorum level, decent.

But Brain could probably fill in for most bands. I would also take Matt back in a heartbeat.

I get you, it's more of a feel thing. That's fair, I definitely didn't always love Matt playing AFD era stuff for example. And I haven't always loved how Frank plays certain classic gnr songs in terms of how he chooses to feel it, example the chorus in don't cry with the push into the crash. 

I think Frank being plugged into another band and told "play it just like the record" he'd do it, and he could learn all the feel intricacies. In GNR they've allowed him / or they have suggested to him (one or the other) to not just replicate what's on the record. It would be interesting if he came out on the next tour and played it faithful to the records, feel and fills just to see what the reception would be like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DSTK said:

I'm not saying he isn't good, I just wouldn't go back there... he's said too much apparently in a book... I've only seen what's been posted btw

I've never seen sabeath for one second or even played a record, not my bag...the cult are ok, but only ok, not on Guns level 

Frank is fine, if he was to leave I'm sure Brain would step in, shame Josh is drumming for Grohl 

It’s good to Debate 👍 I will put it like this and hope people understand a little better where I’m coming from.

For anyone that follows Megadeth or knows the history, it’s like letting go of Nick Menza, and you bring Jimmy De-Grasso in.

The time keeping is on, but is he playing like Nick Menza, or Gar Samuelson even though he is playing on Peace Sells or Rust in Peace material?

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I get you, it's more of a feel thing. That's fair, I definitely didn't always love Matt playing AFD era stuff for example. And I haven't always loved how Frank plays certain classic gnr songs in terms of how he chooses to feel it, example the chorus in don't cry with the push into the crash. 

I think Frank being plugged into another band and told "play it just like the record" he'd do it, and he could learn all the feel intricacies. In GNR they've allowed him / or they have suggested to him (one or the other) to not just replicate what's on the record. It would be interesting if he came out on the next tour and played it faithful to the records, feel and fills just to see what the reception would be like.

Exactly that, and I agree with the rest of what you said. I’m curious to see what he can do if given the chance 👍🙂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, silkchild said:

Matt filled in for Mickey D in Motorhead when he couldn't play. That's not for everybody. Dude's a very talented drummer.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DSTK said:

I've never seen sabbath for one second or even played a record, the front man is a knob...

What the actual fuck??!?!?!?!!!?!?!!!! Dude listen to their first six albums. Its the epitome of heavy metal and rock music. It is practically essential listening to anyone who enjoys "guitar music". Do it, I'm telling you. The dudes invented heavy metal. It is top quality material. And Ozzy is certainly one of the greatest frontmen that has ever lived, if not the greatest. WTF, man...

• Like 4

I think Frank plays just fine in live shows, so I don’t know why he hasn’t played on all the studio material since he joined the band.

Guns N’ Roses at their best, at least to me, never been about one individual standing out, but each individual contributing to make a song legendary….the “whole being greater than the sum of its parts”.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think it just resonates with Axl's more fluid idea of what a band is - more like a project and an extended "family" than a "band" as a unit in the conventional sense. He has had this concept at least since the AFD lineup started falling apart. For example, initially Matt was going to be the studio drummer for UYI and Steven was going on tour when he got his act together (and that was an idea Slash agreed with because he wanted the albums done). Then Izzy could write with the band and Gilby would be the touring guitar player, then the same pattern with Paul Tobias and Gilby (and that was one of the points of contention between Axl and Slash).

So, in Axl's mind there are the "owners" of the band and then this big family where there can be a studio drummer and a (mostly) touring drummer, and both can be equally members of the "GN'R fam".

You always the best and more grounded i sights. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

He still tours with the band from time to time, and he’s dating Melissa, so he’s very much still part of the inner circle.

Has this ever actually been confirmed? Brain has been working with Melissa since she was a kid (they met around the time his daughter was born, so around 2006) and he's twice her age, I'd be very surprised if they were dating

4 hours ago, silkchild said:

Probably The Cult – they've worked with 13 different drummers over the years 😂

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Just saw this, from the perspective of Brain back in 2010:

-Are you out of the band? If so, did you get any official confirmation? Give us details about that.
Brian:
 i'm out of the currant touring band.  i hope i can still be a part of the recordings!!!

-In February 28, 2009, when asked if you were still in the band, Axl said "Last I checked. Brain works on several things with Guns either from his home or in the studio." How does that work?
Brian:
 i'm doing some top secret shit right now!!!!!!!!

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=172599#p172599

I just don’t think it makes sense to go off this because it’s in regards to the state of the band literally 13 years ago.

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Has this ever actually been confirmed? Brain has been working with Melissa since she was a kid (they met around the time his daughter was born, so around 2006) and he's twice her age, I'd be very surprised if they were dating

Yes, it has been confirmed by Brain. She's not that young (she's 40 now).

I wish GnR wasn't a revolving door of session players. Just pick a good drummer and stick with them. There were something like 10 drummers associated with the Chinese Democracy era. Josh Freese, Brain, Vrenna, the drummer from Pearl Jam, etc. Any of these guys would be better than Frank. If Brain is the studio drummer for whatever they do next, that would be superb.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cosmo said:

What the actual fuck??!?!?!?!!!?!?!!!! Dude listen to their first six albums. Its the epitome of heavy metal and rock music. It is practically essential listening to anyone who enjoys "guitar music". Do it, I'm telling you. The dudes invented heavy metal. It is top quality material. And Ozzy is certainly one of the greatest frontmen that has ever lived, if not the greatest. WTF, man...

Nope, they aren't for me..he's over hyped & it's just a racket, they're a band I just can't do with ( the others are queen & oasis )

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, DSTK said:

Nope, they aren't for me..he's over hyped & it's just a racket, they're a band I just can't do with ( the others are queen & oasis )

WTF dude overhyped?!!? They LITERALLY invented a whole genre, and inspired literally ALL of the artists you probably like. And now you’re saying they’re overhyped and not to your taste when u just said u never listened to a single minute of their music lol But whatever suits you, go listen to whatever makes u happy 😂

13 hours ago, scooby845 said:

You're forgetting Brain re-rerecorded Josh's fills for CD. There isn't a single drum hit Brain came up with. So, in a sense, Josh is the original drummer for CD. 

Not quite true. They were rerecorded twice. The first time exactly as Josh had played and the second time with his own feel. 

See Madagascar for example, the drum arrangement is Brain. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nintari said:

Steven had the best groove and "feel". Matt was the best technical drummer. Brain was a huge step down in feel and a decent-sized step down in technique, but was still serviceable. Frank is basically a human metronome.

I agree on Steven.

Everything else is backwards…

Matt is the metronome, Brain the best technical drummer, and Frank the step down in feel and technique.

• Like 1

Personally I like Frank's drumming. He's the right mix of Steven's groove and Matt's technicality. I think the next album will be a mix of Brain and Frank drumming on different tracks. A bit like the Chinese Democracy album. I don't think it's anything to do with Frank not being good enough. Some older songs just have Brain's drumming and there's no need to replace it. When they get around to writing an album of all new material I'm sure Frank will be all over it.

If we get an album of CD leftovers with both Brain and Frank what's the problem? Their both great drummers with something to offer. It just means we can enjoy them both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

WTF dude overhyped?!!? They LITERALLY invented a whole genre, and inspired literally ALL of the artists you probably like. And now you’re saying they’re overhyped and not to your taste when u just said u never listened to a single minute of their music lol But whatever suits you, go listen to whatever makes u happy 😂

A whole genre, of a noise and that's all ..I couldn't care less who they inspired, that won't make me like a band because others looked upto them...I like what I like, and a crackpot Brummy that can barely speak isn't one of them 

Everyone's got bands they can't stand, for me it's anything like sabbath, Oasis, Queen

People hate Axl or guns, we all love the band and their music, it's each to their own thing

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, it has been confirmed by Brain. She's not that young (she's 40 now).

She's 33 isn't she, and him 60?

Where has he confirmed it? I've always assumed they were just musical partners. In this story she says "When I’m working with a partner — Brain specifically — one of us will start something..." implying she's collaborated with various people, or 'partners', but is referencing Brain in the context of the story.

The most recent post on the Brain and Melissa IG account also calls him "my composing partner".

I dunno, it's never been clear to me, but I've always taken it to mean musical partnership. It's not like we ever see photos of them together like Slash and Meegan, Duff and Susan, or Dizzy and Nadja etc. You'd expect at least one pic to have gotten out over the last seven years, even if it's part of a group dinner.

Regardless, I don't suppose it's really any of our business